Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended Warranty = Not really worth it

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 03:26 AM
Darrin Palmer
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extended Warranty = Not really worth it

This may be me just venting, but hopefully it encourages someone to save some cash on this extended warranty.

I bought an '09 1200C in april 2012, purchased the 2 yr extended warranty which expires in about 2 weeks, took it into Scottsdale Harley here in Phoenix a week ago cause my battery was not charging and they said the stator is for sure shot, and they cant check the regulator until the stator is working properly (I ran a diode test on it, its also bad) and the regulator is on back order for a week, or more, they didn't freakin know.

So after they tell me this, they pretty much went out of their way to try to get me to take the bike elsewhere, which meant riding the bike (which had like 8VDC to the battery by the time I got it to their shop) across town and taking my business elsewhere, also damaging the battery further. I said no way, and told them to fix it.

I called the extended warranty number, asking about a rental, because of course, AZ bike week is this week. They said sure, no problem, just take your warranty # back to the dealer and tell them you need a replacement vehicle until mine is fixed, so I head back down there, tell them what the warranty company said, and they said fine, but they need a CC with at least 2,000$ on it, and its gonna be 165$ a day! So I called the warranty place back, again, and they said yeah I have to have the 2,000$ down, and they'll reimburse me the daily charge once my bike is fixed.....

Then they told me if the warranty work isn't submitted by Apr. 14th, the last day of my extended warranty, that I'll be charged out of pocket....are you kidding me?! I understand I didn't buy the bike here, I moved here after the military, but I know how flat rate and warranty works, its guaranteed money for their techs.

Needless to say, I am very upset, and feel like I'm getting jerked around by what was, up until now, a great company to work with (not just HD, but the warranty people). Sorry for the rant, just hope this saves someone some grief, and also if this has happened to you, would love to hear about it!

Old 03-27-2014, 03:59 AM
kingxirol
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
I hear you brother. It surely sucks to be in a situation like this. I barely avoided this extended warranty trap when I took my bike to the local stealership for the 66-points check. They actually tailed me from the services department and tried to sweet-talk me into buying the warranty.

I would try to reason with them and maybe talk to the owner/manager of the stealership and explain the situation in a calm manner (not to say that you were rude but it's easy for the situation to go out of hand really quick if both the parties are combative). Something positive should come out if the top boss there cares even a bit about keeping a customer happy.

Thanks for sharing your experience and hope this thing gets resolved without you shelling out any unnecessary $$.

Old 03-27-2014, 04:22 AM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 220 Likes on 192 Posts

It's not the dealership's fault your warranty is going to expire & it's not the company that you have your warranty with, either. Some dealerships have more parts on the shelf than others & I can understand how you feel. Why would the dealership 'NOT' get the 2K down? If the dealership is worth a ****, ask the to talk to the warranty company. There are a few different warranty companies out there & some are better than others. Good Luck.

Old 03-27-2014, 07:27 AM
06Sporty75
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your warranty is pretty much expired but still have time to get it done,, I don't know if the warranty says you have to do work at a dealership or not but there are lots of shops out there,,, you may just have to send the warranty claim yourself.

go buy the parts yourself from quality suppliers and see if you can have them installed at the warranty expense, the Harley parts are not very good anyway, they are known to fail so do some research on this board and get a quality regulator and stator. The Harley parts would almost be guaranteed to go bad again anyway.

even if you have to pay labor and top quality parts, this is less than a $600 repair,, and some advice, go ahead and replace the clutch and starter at the same time so you don't have to pay for labor again when they fail, do research on here and get high quality aftermarket parts,, parts are cheaper than labor. This will save you a ton of money, some people had to learn the had way when their clutches blow up and then cost over $800 to repair the damage.

And you definitely are not the first person to buy a warranty and not use it, I think just about everyone has.

Last edited by 06Sporty75; 03-27-2014 at 07:41 AM.
Old 03-27-2014, 09:06 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 857 Likes on 647 Posts

Unfortunate situation.
1-Would seem that the shop was less than interested to engage in the warranty service. Busy? Bike week?
The warranty service is paid at a different rate and they may be busy with full price service customers and not want to take-up storage space/time with your bike and lower contract $ rate...incorrect way to conduct business but it happens.
2-The rental situation seems like a mute point and i would not be surprised if reimbursement was later denied..Warranty folks will scream about a multi-day rental after the fact and the dealer will care less since they have been paid by you.
3-The bill date/ policy expiration seems more scripted than anything and more BS.
4-Investigate the policy/make a call...If anyone can service the bike then have an independent perform the service but have the warranty pay them directly..may discover that an independent will investigate to insure nothing else is broken or about to break.
An independent could have you in/out in a few hours.
5- Alternatively, If forced to go with Harley Dealership..call shops in area with part numbers in hand...see if in stock...if in stock give them your name and show-up with bike...speak with service advisor politely, throw him a tip if he is responsive to the situation..refrain from rental..my understanding is that a rental is partially reimbursed when out of town at about $75 a day.
Part numbers can be found at by scrolling down to motorcycle:
http://www.shopronniesharleydavidson...partfinder.htm

Old 03-27-2014, 12:28 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

I don't really understand the issue, or maybe it's that I don't know what kind of extended warranty you bought.
Your HARLEY warranty covers the bike repairs for 2 years, which you are still within. A typical extended warranty covers the bike after the manufacturer's 2 year warranty runs out.

Old 03-27-2014, 09:32 PM
ranchodeluxe
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I kick these jobs out in a hour. You are being jacked on that. If you have Factory Ext Service, find a dealer who has the parts and take it there. Even at Sturgis with 500,000 people the dealer here would have your bike out in half a day.

The previous poster who advised to replace the starter and clutch is leading you astray. H-D starters and clutches are two of the very few places H-D doesn't cheap-out. They are excellent parts. How good? Good enough to crank my 88 incher at 15.5:1. I use oe clutch plates and spring and can't recall the last time I put a clutch pack in my 9-second Sportster. If you are abusing your clutch more than that, you are either an idiot, or the man!

Old 03-27-2014, 09:38 PM
Von_Zipper
Road Warrior
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

The answer is simple: all warranties are sold for profit. Be self-warranted and keep the profit.