Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is scraping pegs dangerous?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 09:27 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,236 Likes on 2,467 Posts

Scraping can be fun. Pegs will fold up to allow even more angle, and if you go too far, then you will be scraping hard parts that don't move and that can lever the rear tire off the ground. If you are running the little feelers on the stock pegs they can grab an hole or crack in the road and make for some unexpected results.

All that said, I do like scraping, just for the fun of it, but am careful of road conditions and not to go to far over.

As mentioned, if you don't like scraping, or simply want the best possible speed in a corner, use a little body english and you can go thru the corners faster with no scraping.

Another little trick...my wife does not like the sound of scraping...so most of the time, with her, I hang the heel of my boot a little lower than the peg and can feel the road surface with my boot before it starts scraping the peg...then I know not to go any further.

The following users liked this post:
TownesVanZandt (06-16-2021)
Old 03-27-2014, 09:39 AM
Phillip W
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hang the heel of my boot a little lower than the peg and can feel the road surface with my boot before it starts scraping the peg...then I know not to go any further.
I tend to do this, as well. The pegs I have on my forward controls are pretty long, and will scrape a little sooner than most.

As an aside, do you guys have gloss black clevises for both the left and right forward controls for '14 Irons? I'm really wanting to get rid of the chrome finish on mine, and I had to do some machining on them (HD forward clevises) to get non-stock pegs to fit right.

Old 03-27-2014, 09:51 AM
Fozzy4325
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Phillip W
I tend to do this, as well. The pegs I have on my forward controls are pretty long, and will scrape a little sooner than most.

As an aside, do you guys have gloss black clevises for both the left and right forward controls for '14 Irons? I'm really wanting to get rid of the chrome finish on mine, and I had to do some machining on them (HD forward clevises) to get non-stock pegs to fit right.
I have these

Old 03-27-2014, 10:15 AM
Phillip W
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Fozzy4325
I have these
I'm just looking for the clevises for the forward controls, in black. Harley only sells chrome with our black forward control kits. No idea idea why.

Old 03-27-2014, 11:24 AM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,632 Likes on 2,735 Posts

I've lifted a back tire on a smaller metric, got it back up when it slowed down a bit, was lucky. Be way harder to do on 600+ lbs of Harley. Bad consequence of lifting a rear tire - the bike stops going in a curve and heads in a straight line; can be anything from embarrassing to going under a semi, depending on conditions. I dragged my 1200 slightly once, but hit a bump while it was grinding; then it wasn't a grind but a heavy impact on something solid. Thought I'd have a mess under it somewhere, but darned if I can even see where it hit.

Old 03-27-2014, 11:27 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,236 Likes on 2,467 Posts

Originally Posted by Phillip W

We do not. HD should come out with them soon...maybe...otherwise, take em into a local powder coater...or hit Joe up on the forum here.

www.thepowderpro.com

HDForum user name- JRK5892

Old 03-27-2014, 03:14 PM
Phillip W
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DK Custom
We do not. HD should come out with them soon...maybe...otherwise, take em into a local powder coater...or hit Joe up on the forum here.

www.thepowderpro.com

HDForum user name- JRK5892
I figured as much, oh well. The machining I did makes the exposed surfaces now prone to rust, so I'll just have to get 'em powder coated I guess, and polish/clean them frequently in the mean time. Thanks.

Old 03-27-2014, 09:18 PM
mopeman-72HD
Tourer

First ride out I scraped my pegs...scared the crap out of me...never did on my duel sport!

Old 06-14-2021, 07:38 PM
Brizzypix
Stage II
Default Poor Design?

Originally Posted by jerryvalal
I used to scrape all the time but now I consider it a risk so I avoid it. There's a reason why people call the metal under most pegs feelers; their funcion is to tell you are starting to go low.

If you go too low you can hit the muffler to the ground too far and lose traction, also these tires don't have the same traction on the sides as sport bikes.

Scraping is OK if you don't go too far down AND you don't panic, but you can avoid scraping pegs just by moving your body slightly on the bike combined with the way you take curves.

This is my muffler and old pegs, now I avoid scraping pegs just with driving technique; same speed, same curves but no scraps.

Attachment 565789
Attachment 565790
I rode a mates '48 a couple of months ago for the first time, and the first right hand corner at a roundabout I came to I figured I'd take it easy and not throw it in like I do on my big old metric cruiser (XVZ1300CT which will do until I can afford a HD) per attached photo. It's got sacrificial steel plates under the rear of the running boards which almost always scrape if I corner hard, and I'm used to how it handles so do it often😉

​​​​​​
Imagine my surprise when something scraped on the side of the '48!

When we stopped I checked, and was amazed to see that the pegs hadn't touched, but almost all of the exhaust!!!

Surely this is a design flaw, how can the exhaust touch down before the pegs? The road was brand new, no lumps or bumps to catch the pipes, so I was completely mystified...

​​​

Last edited by Brizzypix; 06-14-2021 at 07:42 PM.
Old 06-14-2021, 08:27 PM
decencyxdefied
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 728 Likes on 487 Posts

Damn son. That's old

Quick Reply: Is scraping pegs dangerous?