Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is scraping pegs dangerous?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 09:37 PM
fffffish
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by joedirt88
Saw a guy here in cincy use some different kinda metal feelers that shot out sparks 2 feet out. Kinda crazy seeing it.
The metal is called Michmetal and will throw a huge amount of sparks I use them as wear plates and epoxy them to my running boards they are 1 inch wide ¾ inch thick and 3 inches long it is basically the same thing used in welding strikers. In not the guy from cincy

Old 03-25-2014, 09:37 PM
orangehotrod
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's a fat *** bagger AND his foot and leg actually caused that crash. Kind of yanked him around a bit.

Old 03-25-2014, 09:39 PM
Phillip W
Intermediate

Originally Posted by kishstl
That guy caught his saddlebags, which don't fold up to prevent your tires from losing surface area contact :P

Old 03-25-2014, 10:57 PM
rdunnill
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

He must have gotten a nasty scrape from that.

Old 03-26-2014, 03:44 PM
krakers
Intermediate

This seems to not be worried about

Old 03-26-2014, 04:03 PM
Fozzy4325
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can unscrew the nipples and replace them with smaller ones.

however watch out where your foot position is and what type of shoes or boots your wearing.

I was on my Suzuki chopper and I was grinding the pegs all the time. I was in a hurry one day and went too far over and the rubber on my military boots gripped really well and grabbed my boot and I rode over my own foot. I didn't drop the bike but I thought I broke it. I rode all the way to the hospital in 2nd gear. they said I was luck I was wearing high legged military boots otherwise i would have cut the foot almost off by the state my boot was in

Old 03-26-2014, 04:07 PM
UppercaseJC
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Phillip W
you'll find that the stock pegs usually have a little finger sticking down from them...curb grinders. Just take it as a warning that you're gettin' low. Depending on where they're mounted, and how long the pegs are, you'll do it more often or less often. Unless you're actually catching them on a pothole or an actual curb, you should be fine. Flat asphalt or pavement won't high-side you.

And yes, it can be a startling thing to do it the first few times. You get a sense eventually for how low you can go without doing it.

Edit: go to a motorcycle rodeo where the cops do amazing things on their duty bikes. You'll wonder how the heck they stay up, with all the chrome grinding and scraping they do.

Well I lowsided my streetglide by going just a little too far.

Old 03-26-2014, 04:50 PM
Phillip W
Intermediate

Originally Posted by UppercaseJC
Well I lowsided my streetglide by going just a little too far.
That's not from scraping or grinding peg. What you did was, go over so far, that you caught something else...something that doesn't fold upwards like pegs do...or you simply were no longer riding on the tire tread (loose gravel, oil, water, or side wall). Pegs do this on purpose, because if they didn't, they would stay rigid against the pavement, and you then lose tire surface area contact with the road. Instead of your bike riding on the back tire, it's riding on a peg...and yep, you'll low side that way, too, the same as going so low, that something besides your folding pegs makes contact with the road surface. Pegs fold up to prevent this from happening...they just grind. The feelers are there as a safety measure to let you know you are getting low. New riders should not simply just remove them to avoid the scraping. It helps them get through the learning curve of how to ride as a beginner, and become familiar with how their bike handles.

Old 03-26-2014, 05:28 PM
UppercaseJC
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Phillip W
That's not from scraping or grinding peg. What you did was, go over so far, that you caught something else...something that doesn't fold upwards like pegs do...or you simply were no longer riding on the tire tread (loose gravel, oil, water, or side wall). Pegs do this on purpose, because if they didn't, they would stay rigid against the pavement, and you then lose tire surface area contact with the road. Instead of your bike riding on the back tire, it's riding on a peg...and yep, you'll low side that way, too, the same as going so low, that something besides your folding pegs makes contact with the road surface. Pegs fold up to prevent this from happening...they just grind. The feelers are there as a safety measure to let you know you are getting low. New riders should not simply just remove them to avoid the scraping. It helps them get through the learning curve of how to ride as a beginner, and become familiar with how their bike handles.
You are quite correct. the issue is when scraping a board or foot peg the maximum allowable lean angle is getting close. With a street glide the floorboard support arms touch down and they dont fold up. Street Glide stock is already lowered one inch as well. In my case the speed of the bike required just a touch more lean then the floorboards could give, 100% my fault. Fact still remains many do not seem to fully understand that scraping pegs or boards on Most bikes is fun but it is also a caution sign for you not a message to push it a little more to show the sparks to the guys behind you

Old 03-26-2014, 05:57 PM
ib5150
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I scraped the pegs on turns but I removed the little finger because those can get caught in a crack or where cement meets blacktop, had it happen once making a right turn - scared the crap out of me, thankfully I didn't eat ****, that night the fingers were gone! Actually think it is stupid Harley put them on a sporty-

Last edited by ib5150; 03-26-2014 at 05:59 PM.

Quick Reply: Is scraping pegs dangerous?