Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Question?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 05:48 PM
RICHE
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Harley Question?

Thanks for letting me know that the honda is the vtx and that it can do 12 second quarter's. When I go riding with these guys Im sure they would have blown a gasket if I called thier machines vmax,they seem very sensitive about thier bikes, and I wont bother trying to out run them it would just make me look like an ***.Just shows ya how much I know about these metric bikes.

Old 03-24-2007, 06:07 PM
GothMetalGuitarist
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

OMG, ride what you want to ride. Who cares??? I personally dont give a rats left ball what you ride as long as you dont start the machismo bullsh!t. I mean really...who gives a FLICK? This translates to everything in life. Just love what you love and leave it at that. Don't try to convert me, don't try to shove it in my face or argue with me over it. What a waste of time. Why is it that some people feel the need to be a parent to others? Why can't we just be concerned with ourselves?

If I were you (and I am not) I would tell your Honda "buddies" to go pound salt. If all they want to do is talk about dick, er bike size when you ride...ride elsewhere cuz at some point its going to wear thin.

Oh well, (passes the soapbox to the next in line)

Old 03-24-2007, 10:09 PM
wbogley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I ride with a guy that rides a VTX 1300 all the time.We have a blast!I dont know, it might be me. But the only time I see HD bikes out is on the weekend. Seems like most HD ridersdont ride M-F. During the week days I only see metrics.When Iride to work, it is me and a bunch of metrics I dont know. I just ride along with them.Anyone else notice this?

Old 03-24-2007, 10:51 PM
markdt
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Dallastx didn't you know that Everyone wants more hp or so the MOCO and auto mans say. Look at the average car today 200+ hp. Hell my deville concourse has 300 stock. I think we are being led by the nose by the manufactures of these product . Back in the 70's when there was a gas shortage we all went screaming to buy japan and smaller 4 cylinder cars . These 4 bangers only put out around 100 hp. The mans are now telling us that we need bigger, faster ,more powerfull motors, wonder how much stock they have in gas companies. Just listen and look at thier advertising. Ps I like reasonably fast machines ...Mark...

Old 03-24-2007, 11:38 PM
Dallastx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know what you mean. My redline does 0-60 in a few seconds. 238 h/p at the wheels supercharged 4 banger that has a top speed of 150 and only weighs 2800 lbs.

Old 03-24-2007, 11:41 PM
jwb47
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had the pleasure or displeasure of riding a vtx 1800 and if it can do mid 12 1/4's I fly rockets. it sure wouldnt scare me to line up my 1200r with one and light up a crooked road for a hundred bucks , they are pigs period! the reason they are so sensitive about there hondas is envy or they wouldnt of bought a bike that trys to copy the harley look..
as for the v-max forget it keep your money in your pocket , be nice and maybe they will let you ride there rocket , ya gotta pick your battles and racing a v-max is a losing proposition.

Old 03-25-2007, 12:01 AM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: jwb47

I have had the pleasure or displeasure of riding a vtx 1800 and if it can do mid 12 1/4's I fly rockets. it sure wouldnt scare me to line up my 1200r with one and light up a crooked road for a hundred bucks , they are pigs period!
Doesn't matter to me one way or the other, but Motorcycle Cruiser doesn't agree with you. BTW, they also road test Harley and other makes of bikes, and have always been very fair in their reporting.

In part:

"With impressive horsepower (we got 88.9 at 5250 rpm) and enough torque to pull trees -- 100.3 foot-pounds at 3000 rpm (by God) -- we're talking about cutting into a new dish of mustard here folks.

[align=center][/align]
[/align]
Yeah, it's fast. On paper or pavement, Honda's VTX is much faster than any stock V-twin cruiser on your dealer's floor. With its 12.3 seconds at 105.5 mph quarter-mile time, the only large displacement cruisers in the running are Honda's own six-cylinder Valkyrie at 12.13 seconds and 107.0 mph, its V-4-driven Magna (12.21 seconds at 107.6 mph) and, of course, Yamaha's yahoo-inducing V-Max -- which eats a quarter-mile in a mere 10.87 seconds, crossing the line at 124 mph. But remember all of these bikes have at least a two-piston advantage over the VTX. The closest V-twins we've timed are Harley's FXDX at 13.62 seconds and 96.2 mph, and on the metric side, Kawasaki's Classic FI which pulled a 14.07 seconds at 92.6 mph. The VTX beats them all in the torque department."

Here is the full article;

http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/roa...onda_vtx1800c/

Old 03-25-2007, 12:09 AM
Dave_E
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Must be for that couple seconds of insanity that won't get you a ticket. My 883R with SE pipes was a ripper far as I was concerned, Could get into plenty of trouble ifI wanted to. Now my 07 RKC with the 96 (stock) hits 80 before I know it gettin on it, gee then I still have 6th gear. Like others have stated, our Harleys are H A R L E Y S. A breed all by itself, for the purpose of... sh**, the list of why we own H-D's is long, but you know, you own one.

Old 03-25-2007, 12:47 AM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

That article is wrong. They state...

"The closest V-twins we've timed are Harley's FXDX at 13.62 seconds and 96.2 mph, and on the metric side, Kawasaki's Classic FI which pulled a 14.07 seconds at 92.6 mph."

Yet here http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/roa...twin_cruisers/on their own site they state the Sportster 1200Sport has a 1/4 mile time of 13.36 seconds @ 95.8 mph. And what about the V Rod 1/4 mile time at 11.88-second, 113.1-mph? Maybe they don't consider the V Rod a cruiser I don't know but to me it is a power cruiser not unlike the V Max.
I took the 2002articles since that VTX article was on the 2002 model.

Old 03-25-2007, 09:59 AM
Uncle Scrooge
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Get a Dyna and flash your dipstick at 'em!

Quick Reply: Harley Question?