Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

O.K. nightster owners.

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 09:06 PM
NightsterHooligan
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: O.K. nightster owners.

Now that we got that out of the way, back to the initial question to Nightster OWNERS. Overall, I'm loving it. Here's the long and the short of it. It's a 5 speed but unless you are on the interstate above 65 mph, it's really just a 4 speed. At 60-65 mph if you put it in 5th it just chugs along. Yep, it's a air-cooled V-Twin alright. All other gears have a sweet spot in the rpm range where you can’t even tell it's running, smooth as buttah, but get a few hundred rpm in either direction and it does a little chugging. Very similar to the older Ducati's. Coming from a sportbike/trackbike background, I was pleasantly surprised, it actually handles pretty good, suspension is hard and not too compliant over the big bumps, but that's what gives it the "raw" feeling. The only other Harley's to compare to that I have ridden are Dyna, RK, and RKC. The '07 bikes are fuel injected and heavily restricted (new EPA regs) but I guess it is fast enough, for a "cruiser",when you get on it hard. I'll do some pipes someday but I'm waiting to see what comes out in the next couple months, also do the air cleaner, and re-map. Still undecided on theHarley race tuner, PCIII, or Delphi module, and then dyno time for a custom map. All in all about $1000. I hate, despise, and generally want to puke at the look of the stock Harley rotors on all the bikes, I've already ordered some replacement black/stainless rotors and black SS lines.Again, coming from a sportbike, the first time I reached for the front brake lever, I said "WHoaH! Where's the brakes?!" LOL The stop-turn tail signals are cool, and the LED license plate light is a nice touch. I found one loose bolt on the primary cover that was just about to fall out, so I re-checked all other significant bolts. Took the excessive slack out of the throttle cables, and rotated the bars back slightly, and rotated the controls down some. Removed the red reflector from the rear fender, looks much cleaner. I swapped out the headlight bulb for a Xenon to give a little extra visibilty to the dumb cagers. I also noticed the newlove and admiration from otherHarley riders on the road, they actually wave back now or wave at you first, and the sportbike guys just look the other way now. Bastids! I'm in Florida and haven't had any problem with heat radiating off the motor. I'm a little confused on fuel capacity, the manual lists 3.3 gallons with a .8 gal "reserve" but there is no fuel guage, light, or petcock. So essentially it's just a 4.1 gallon tank and you best stop and fill up before it's empty. ???? It is rather comfortable too for 100 mile rides but it's no tourer. I found a local seat shop and I'm going to get the stock seat redone with gel or memory foam. I like the shape and feel of the stock seat, it's just a little on the hard side for my bony ***. The mid controls are fine, removed the hero blobs cause they kept getting caught on my pants leg. Just remember to lift your legs way up and over to the front when taking off. Backing the bike or "walking" it are a real shin buster.I could change to forward controls, but that's what gives the bike its charactersitic old school feel. Anyone remember Fonzi on Happy Days? Where is that pool of sharks to jump over?! Enjoying going slow, taking it easy, no worries,don't have to worry aboutthe cops, and the sportbikers just fly by anyway now. Beinga full faced helmet, jacket wearing Hooligan. Ride safe!

Old 03-29-2007, 09:14 PM
XL1200N
Road Master

I noticed it didn't have a reserve petcock, but it does have a gas idiot light on the speedo. Mine came on after around 80 miles after a fill up.

Brian

Old 03-29-2007, 09:15 PM
883Sporty
Cruiser

You're right, in a sense NH, because I don't own one and have yet to ride one. I was making fun of the name when I said, "gayster." I also posted this other suggestion, "turdster." I hope the execs at HD read them too. Maybe they'll get the hint and bring us the XR. How many of us bashed the Vrod when it came out? I know that I didn't care for it when I first saw it. Then I rode one. That quickly changed my mind. If we accepted the Vrod, I'm sure there's room in our hearts for the nightster. I never compared my bike to a nightster. Nor did I compare the nightster to the XR. What I said was, "we got the wrong prototype as a production model." Again, I gave my opinion and I was not the first to do so in this thread. Perhaps you should reread from the top.

Old 03-29-2007, 09:27 PM
stennml
Intermediate

I was getting so fed up with the "gay" crap from 883Sporty (who has made the same comment on another thread where I responded) I was about to just ditch this hdforums stuff -- all I wanted to do was find some nice folks to share the excitement with and one jerk comes along to put in a little poison... different opinions are one thing, name-calling is... mean and stupid. Knock it off.

The good on this forum FAR outweighs the bad, so there! Nightsterhoo, I have had the exact same experience with my Nightster, almost started athread that read FOUR-SPEED NIGHTSTER! You and I ride and assess the bike in an almost identical way. I am coming from a BMW R1100S that I loved.... but I love my Nighster, just a different kind of love.

FYI I do have a fuel light, but mileage is not very good... hoping that will improve. Reserve light comes on at around 90 miles (I just have c. 400 miles so far).

I have added: solo detatchable rack; heated grips; timer cover
I will add: derby cover to match timer cover; new seat (maybe Corbin Hollywood solo); slip ons (not sure what -- love stock sound but want lil' better performance); vivid black air cooler cover
I have removed: hero pegs
I will modify: rear suspension and front fork (likely go to 12" black progressives in back, will slightly raise front not sure with what, something that will help it track smoother over bumpy twists); air filter; re-tune
I am: happy as a clam.

Old 03-29-2007, 09:46 PM
NightsterHooligan
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: XL1200N

I noticed it didn't have a reserve petcock, but it does have a gas idiot light on the speedo. Mine came on after around 80 miles after a fill up.

Brian
Really?! I did about the first 100 and never saw the light. I'll have to look for it next time. Does it cycle on and off (self-test) when you turn the key on? Wait, let me go check.........................No, it doesn't cycle on and off but I do see the small icons for the #6 (?), Engine, Fuel, Battery, and the security in the lower corner. Might be hard to see in all this abundant sunshine!

Old 03-29-2007, 09:49 PM
NightsterHooligan
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: 883Sporty

How many of us bashed the Vrod when it came out? I know that I didn't care for it when I first saw it. Then I rode one. That quickly changed my mind.
I didn't bash the V-Rod, but didn't like it or the whole concept, even after I rode one. I just can't see the point, buy a sportbike instead. But they do make one helluva drag bike lately though, huh?

Old 03-29-2007, 09:53 PM
NightsterHooligan
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: stennml

I was getting so fed up with the "gay" crap from 883Sporty (who has made the same comment on another thread where I responded) I was about to just ditch this hdforums stuff -- all I wanted to do was find some nice folks to share the excitement with and one jerk comes along to put in a little poison... different opinions are one thing, name-calling is... mean and stupid. Knock it off.

The good on this forum FAR outweighs the bad, so there! Nightsterhoo, I have had the exact same experience with my Nightster, almost started athread that read FOUR-SPEED NIGHTSTER! You and I ride and assess the bike in an almost identical way. I am coming from a BMW R1100S that I loved.... but I love my Nighster, just a different kind of love.
Ahhhhhhhhhhhh, it's all good, it's the Internet, remember?!

My friend has a 1200GS. Great ride, but the cost is a little steep for my tastes. $$$$$$$$

Old 03-29-2007, 09:59 PM
MikeLVNV01
Advanced

I have about 800 on mine so far and I can say I love it as well. I saw "GAYSTER" and laughed my *** off. As a "NIGHTSTER" owner, I do have to say the name is prettyfricken lame. U cant take posts on here personally. Bikes are like woman, we all have different tastesin what we like. 883Sporty had his opinion and we as "GAYSTER" owners have ours or else we would have bought somethin else. To each there own. 883Sporty give it time it will grow on ya!!!!

Vegas Mike....

Old 03-29-2007, 10:18 PM
883Sporty
Cruiser

I'm sure you're right Mike. I was making fun of the name. I didn't call anyone names that I can remember. Geez..... Wait, I did say crybaby. I apologize. Can someone pass stenml the tissues. I need one too. My buttcrack is starting to stink again.

Old 03-29-2007, 11:07 PM
Vmaxx4
3rd Gear

I have a Nightster on order, (build date is April 19). I hope to have the bike early in May which should be the start of the riding season in my area. I'm glad to hear all comments on the Nightster as they have all influenced my decision. However my first look at this bike and I knew that this was the Harley I was waiting to be built. Say what you want about the name, without the introduction of this new model Harley probably would not have been getting any money out of me this year. This model is selling fast, and judging from the other owners I've been reading about, I'm betting that I am not the only Nightsterowner out there that would be riding another brand this season.

Quick Reply: O.K. nightster owners.