Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas Tank Emblem Removal/Installation

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 09:26 PM
Ayelith
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas Tank Emblem Removal/Installation

Hi folks! I am the soon-to-be owner of a 2014 Sportster 1200 Custom. It will hopefully be arriving this week!! Since this model didn't come with the color options I like, I will be custom painting it after I get it and I am considering changing out the Gas Tank Emblem on it when I do this. The one that comes on the 2014 models doesn't appeal to me, and I'd really like something else. My question is:

I have searched the forums and see many other models are simply heat and fishing line to remove them - is this the same for the Sportsters? What kind of glue/adhesive should I look at getting to reattach it once I find one I like? Obviously something strong and reasonably heat resistant so it doesn't fall off while outdoors in the sun...any specific brand/type? Apologies for the questions, I'm new to doing any custom work on my own...

Bonus question! The emblem that caught my eye was this one (https://houseofharley.com/en/product...plate-6177451t) but that specifies that it is made for older models. Is there any reason I COULDN'T use it on my sportster? (Besides the holes it has, which I could probably figure out how to fill in)

Thanks so much for any info!!

Old 03-19-2014, 06:35 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

If you have metal emblems the solution you mention is fine. I haven't removed gas tank emblems, but several others and got away using tooth floss. It isn't very strong, but I have removed a dozen emblems using it. You will have a yucky sticky residue left, which WD40 will soften, so that you can remove it. You may need several applications - patience pays!

The stuff Harley uses is a double-sided soft tape, which you can get easily enough, at an autostore or on Ebay. 3M make it and it is sold for auto emblems. Stick it to your emblem, trim to shape, then fit on your tank.

Those emblems you posted a link to may well work, but you will probably have to mould them to fit any curvature of the flank of your tank. That would best be done before using the new tape! The tank they are designed for had threaded inserts set in, to take three screws, hence the holes in them.

Old 03-21-2014, 05:46 PM
Ayelith
Intermediate

Great info, thanks so much! I still haven't found a good place to paint my bike so I have a little more time to decide on the emblems I had started thinking about getting decals to put under a clear coat but of course the ones I really liked were expensive for what they are... Thanks again!

Old 03-21-2014, 07:53 PM
WvDragon
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Ayelith
Great info, thanks so much! I still haven't found a good place to paint my bike so I have a little more time to decide on the emblems I had started thinking about getting decals to put under a clear coat but of course the ones I really liked were expensive for what they are... Thanks again!

Go to WestonSigns.com and check out their vinyl graphics they are reasonably priced and a ton of options.

Old 03-21-2014, 08:24 PM
Switchback12
Road Master
Received 125 Likes on 94 Posts

3m makes a good spray adhesive remover that have have used on paint without problems for getting off residue.

Old 03-21-2014, 08:34 PM
wanabe
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wd-40 and dental floss... have removed badges off of my cages and bikes for years- and fully understand the desire to remove the sporty badges! replaced mine with bar & shield. you can fill those holes by cutting off screws that fit and glueing them on- use a good epoxy for that purpose- or JB Weld is one of my choices.

Last edited by wanabe; 03-21-2014 at 08:50 PM.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:23 PM
Ayelith
Intermediate

Great tips everyone, thank you! I can't wait to get started...

Old 03-22-2014, 06:24 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Originally Posted by Ayelith
I had started thinking about getting decals to put under a clear coat but of course the ones I really liked were expensive for what they are... Thanks again!
Unfortunately there is no such thing as a cheap decal!

Old 03-22-2014, 08:38 AM
dwagar
Road Master
Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

I picked up some of that 3M tape at Homedepot, they sell it for putting on house numbers, etc.

As grbrown mentioned above, be real careful getting the bends and curves correct before you tape it on. One corner of one of mine is up just a touch. I used the same emblems that Wanabe has in his post.

Old 03-22-2014, 09:47 AM
Ayelith
Intermediate

Originally Posted by grbrown
Unfortunately there is no such thing as a cheap decal!
Heh, I'm slowly coming to realize this.