Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need help for wife's 1st ride

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 09:53 PM
Slogdog
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help for wife's 1st ride

I've almost got the wife ready to ride her own bike, but she is a very petite 5' nothin. The new 1200T has caught her eye. I am concerned this may still be too big for her. Anyone have a short wife that rides, bike suggestions and can I get this bike to easily fit for her size?

Old 03-17-2014, 10:19 PM
BeavisRules
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Plan on spending a little bit of money when you decide which bike is for her. Look for lower shocks, lower seat, and maybe new bars.

In the past I have seen some pretty small women riding the larger bikes without any issues. You just have to "accessorize" it accordingly.

Old 03-18-2014, 03:30 AM
Fatbob V2
Cruiser

Morning,

My other half is 5'2" and rides an 883low. I know they don't make it anymore but she feels confident on it and can touch the floor no problem. The tank is slim unlike the Super Low making riding comfortable and it has mids as the air filter restricts her reach on one with forward controls.

Just my 2 pence worth.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 03-18-2014, 06:22 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Start from the ground up and look at thick-soled high-heeled riding boots. Proper boots will give her good grip, with her feet on the ground, higher heels will increase her leg reach. Harley used to make them, although I can't see any on their website at present. Still worth asking your dealer about them.

Avoid lowering the bike IMHO. Also bear in mind that riding experience with her new bike is the best way to boost her confidence and skills - preferably without you filling both her mirrors! So let her ride on her own, to visit nearby friends or shop, etc. Frequent short trips are great, rather than that Continent-crossing adventure you might prefer!

Old 03-18-2014, 06:44 AM
Rog48
Elite HDF Member
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

I can tell you from my GFs beginners experience not being able to securely reach the ground is a huge confidence killer. She rides great, its the sub 5MPH and stops that scare the crap out of her when shes not able to plant both feet. Shes dropped 3 different bikes a total of 5 times.............all at zero MPH Yeah I know if she kept practicing she would overcome that but she was too scared to do that. Since she is a good rider but not a good stander its been VERY difficult to find a bike for her that would fit. Something not too heavy and not too high. But something big enough with a big enough engine to easily go highway speeds. This winter I think we found it, an 83 Honda Shadow 500, very low to the ground, sub 400 pounds, very maneuverable. Ive ridden it a few hundred miles the thing feels like it has more ummph than my 883 and its much more comfortable. The GF does want a sportster so were hoping after a few years of riding this she will become confident enough with a higher heavier sportster.

Last edited by Rog48; 03-18-2014 at 06:49 AM.
Old 03-18-2014, 07:03 AM
Sammy1200N
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Post your question on the Queens of the Road forum if you want answers from some experienced lady riders. Make sure she want to ride for herself and not for you. Your opening line that you've "almost got her ready to ride her own" makes me think she might be doing this to make you happy. If that's the case you will never find a bike for her that she will enjoy riding.

Old 03-18-2014, 07:59 AM
rmeg08
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't buy her a new bike to learn on. Sure's hell, she's gonna drop it.

Old 03-18-2014, 08:19 AM
Slogdog
6th Gear

Thanks for all the suggestions! Trust me, if she doesn't want to do something, she ain't gonna do it. I am not rushing her, If she feels like sitting on a bike to test it, fine if not, so what. I would love for her to ride along with me, but, that is her choice alone.

Great tip about the Shadow, I know she liked the stance on a Rebel at one time. Something small to move up on. I do think she wants a Harley because I have one, but there is no shame in having any bike that fits and builds confidence.

Old 03-18-2014, 09:00 AM
Super38
Cruiser
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

My wife is relatively short, depending on her shoes she may not be able to flat foot a super low (either 883 or 1200T) but she's confident riding one because she took the new rider course and has ridden her Rebel for several years.

If she has a license; check around you may be able to rent a Superlow for a day or two...

IMO first step for any new rider is Rider Safety Course.

Old 03-18-2014, 09:09 AM
ib5150
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

You also might want to look into the NEW Street 500 from Harley - might fit her better?

Quick Reply: need help for wife's 1st ride