Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need help for wife's 1st ride

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 09:11 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Sammy1200N
Post your question on the Queens of the Road forum if you want answers from some experienced lady riders. Make sure she want to ride for herself and not for you. Your opening line that you've "almost got her ready to ride her own" makes me think she might be doing this to make you happy. If that's the case you will never find a bike for her that she will enjoy riding.
Better still get her to join HDF and call in to chat with the ladies!

Old 03-18-2014, 09:40 AM
Kyle C Kirk
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bought the wife a Street Bob awhile back but she felt uncomfortable on it due to her not being able to put her feet flat on the ground (she's 5'5"). Just bought her a Iron 883 and she loves it. Flatfooted at stops, light enough and just enough power for her to handle. I would take your's down to the local HD shop and have her actually look at what she likes and have her sit on one and get the feel. Once I did that with mine, she decided herself on which one she wanted. Hope this helps.

Old 03-18-2014, 10:10 AM
Sammy1200N
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
Better still get her to join HDF and call in to chat with the ladies!
Great idea IF she is the one who wants to ride. Women who want to ride find us. Women whose husband/bf want them to ride don't find us because they don't want to learn, ask questions.

Old 03-18-2014, 10:19 AM
Fozzy4325
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Slogdog
I've almost got the wife ready to ride her own bike, but she is a very petite 5' nothin. The new 1200T has caught her eye. I am concerned this may still be too big for her. Anyone have a short wife that rides, bike suggestions and can I get this bike to easily fit for her size?
I would go with a Jap bike. But if you want a Harley look at the new 500 or 750 Harley sportster.

Old 03-18-2014, 10:25 AM
mydogfarted
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife is 5' and was able to flatfoot a Superlow.

Old 03-18-2014, 10:39 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Originally Posted by mydogfarted
My wife is 5' and was able to flatfoot a Superlow.
My wife is not so vertically challenged, but when she saw one in Merlot, that was it! Her 2011 version now looks like an 'XL883T'. We haven't got the new 500/750 models yet here in the UK, but they must be an alternative worth taking a look at. They sound like the natural successor to the Buell Blast.

Old 03-18-2014, 10:43 AM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,632 Likes on 2,735 Posts

I'd bet sportsters have turned off more would be motorcycle riders than all other makes combined with the idea they're a starter bike - some of the big twins are actually more docile handling. A lot of ladies (and men) can't hold a 600 lb + bike up when it tips much. My daughter wanted to ride one of my sporties for her first street ride, cost a couple of turn signals and a clutch handle bracket - the part the mirror attaches too also. At least she didn't get hurt, just tipped over as it stopped. Got her a 225 cc trail bike first, old beat up cheap one, and she had a fun time with that, including some off road that gives folks more slow speed and awkward maneuver practice than they'll usually ever get on street bikes. Now she has a Honda Nighthawk 250, very good handling little bike, easy forgiving clutch (tall geared sporties need clutch skill!), and she can lay it almost all the way over and still hold it. She'll probably be riding the sporty with confidence this summer; doubt she'd be riding at all by now if we'd stuck with the sporty.

Yeah, lot of us started out on evil handling and/or heavy bikes, but that's doing it the hard way for most ladies - men, too. That 250cc bike bought used didn't cost as much as a laydown could on a Harley, too. And less chance it will lay down - hasn't happened yet anyway. Also got her a full face helmet, ventilated riding jacket (those are actually cooler than none in warm weather), leather gloves, and sturdy boots - those items can really save skin if they do go down and slide a bit. They can always ride comfortable and "cool" later when they get some skills.

Old 03-18-2014, 11:30 AM
Rog48
Elite HDF Member
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Imold
I'd bet sportsters have turned off more would be motorcycle riders than all other makes combined with the idea they're a starter bike - some of the big twins are actually more docile handling. A lot of ladies (and men) can't hold a 600 lb + bike up when it tips much. My daughter wanted to ride one of my sporties for her first street ride, cost a couple of turn signals and a clutch handle bracket - the part the mirror attaches too also. At least she didn't get hurt, just tipped over as it stopped. Got her a 225 cc trail bike first, old beat up cheap one, and she had a fun time with that, including some off road that gives folks more slow speed and awkward maneuver practice than they'll usually ever get on street bikes. Now she has a Honda Nighthawk 250, very good handling little bike, easy forgiving clutch (tall geared sporties need clutch skill!), and she can lay it almost all the way over and still hold it. She'll probably be riding the sporty with confidence this summer; doubt she'd be riding at all by now if we'd stuck with the sporty.

Yeah, lot of us started out on evil handling and/or heavy bikes, but that's doing it the hard way for most ladies - men, too. That 250cc bike bought used didn't cost as much as a laydown could on a Harley, too. And less chance it will lay down - hasn't happened yet anyway. Also got her a full face helmet, ventilated riding jacket (those are actually cooler than none in warm weather), leather gloves, and sturdy boots - those items can really save skin if they do go down and slide a bit. They can always ride comfortable and "cool" later when they get some skills.
Know all about the clutch handle, notice this on the KZ that we tried? Thing is, she really IS a good rider, the only spills she ever had was at a complete stand still.

Old 03-18-2014, 11:33 AM
Rog48
Elite HDF Member
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

She had a Suzuki GN 125 for 2 years now. No chance in hell that will tip on her at a stop. But the thing is just not capable of more than about 55MPH..............down hill..............with a tail wind. She really needed something more, a sporty and the KZ was too much more

Old 03-18-2014, 12:00 PM
5150northrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 206 Likes on 171 Posts

New street is worth some thought!

Quick Reply: need help for wife's 1st ride