Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde Exhausts

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 01:55 PM
HawkIron
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde Exhausts

Evening Gents!

I recently managed to get out on the bike (Hurrah decent weather in Wales for once!). I asked the local dealership if i could try out the 48 to get used to forward pegs and see if it would be comfy on my 883 Iron. Well turns out the 48 demo they had had been kitted out by a staff member with Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde exhausts. Now I was skeptical (not to mention the matte black mufflers on a chrome exhaust system!) but it gave one hell of a noise when the valve switch is pressed. I was very impressed by the performance enhancement and the usefulness of the lil switch that keeps everything quiet for the unsociable hours one maybe out until.

So here is my question. Have any of you guys got this system on your sporty? especially if you are an 883 owner. Are they worth the expense? as I was told this is the equivalent of having a Stage I tune? I was also told that this was legal in the EU because of the control you have over it?

Hope to have your 2 cents, pence or whatever currency you have, and I'll shut up now!

regards

Hawk

Old 03-11-2014, 03:08 PM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,974 Likes on 1,346 Posts

Can you post a link to this exhaust system?

John

Old 03-11-2014, 03:43 PM
HawkIron
Cruiser

John

No problem. Now the UK part of the website is still under construction so I'm hazarding a guess that these are quite new on the scene but I could be wrong!

http://www.jekillandhyde.nl/

Now it seems they aren't being sold in the US at this moment but there is a tab waiting for it so it could be in the future.

Thoughts?

Hawk

Old 03-11-2014, 03:53 PM
John Harper
HDF Community Team

So they look like a slip on muffler? With electric baffles? Have not heard of them on this side of the pond.

John

Last edited by John Harper; 03-11-2014 at 03:56 PM.
Old 03-11-2014, 04:24 PM
HawkIron
Cruiser

John,

I think you're right. The guys at the dealership said that an ECM change was required and the wiring to use the horn button as the valve changer. Strangely they don't say that the A/c needs changing as a result? I think if I did fork out for all this I would at least change the A/C to some thing from DK Customs just for piece of mind. I'm also guessing that these are so new that very few people have them at the moment. They do look like an interesting alternative to always loud systems... handy around any Fuzz also!

Old 03-11-2014, 10:22 PM
Knights2TheEnd
Road Captain

Dr. Jekyll and Mr.Hyde Exhaust! LOL. wow. I just read that book, so boring but I guess it is just one of those books everyone reads. Before I read your post, I said "Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde? So what? The exhaust is quiet and loud?" and my prediction is true! What a good name for an exhaust, NEVER heard of it though.

Old 03-12-2014, 12:38 PM
HawkIron
Cruiser

Knights, I think you're right. very apt name for such a system IMHO. Was hoping someone would have this system but it seems soooo new that barely anyone has heard of it :S

Old 03-12-2014, 06:00 PM
John Harper
HDF Community Team

I would not screw with the horn circuit, how often would you be changing from loud to quiet? And, what about a horn? Don't they inspect bikes in the UK?

Maybe a small push/toggle switch mounted down by battery or somewhere indiscreet?

Or, save your money and buy some Cycle Shack or other brand slipons. I'd upgrade the intake for sure, the DK stuff looks good and affordable.

You can research the ECM choices on this forum, there are hundreds of posts.

John

Last edited by John Harper; 03-12-2014 at 06:03 PM.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:07 AM
Spookymason
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They are big big bucks to.

Old 03-13-2014, 01:01 PM
HawkIron
Cruiser

Originally Posted by John Harper
I would not screw with the horn circuit, how often would you be changing from loud to quiet? And, what about a horn? Don't they inspect bikes in the UK?

Maybe a small push/toggle switch mounted down by battery or somewhere indiscreet?

Or, save your money and buy some Cycle Shack or other brand slipons. I'd upgrade the intake for sure, the DK stuff looks good and affordable.

You can research the ECM choices on this forum, there are hundreds of posts.

John

John,

Totally get where you are coming from. It does negate the horn swtich (activates the valve position instead of the horn). The noise from the mufflers is well heard about if I'm honest. But yes not having a horn can be worrying with some drivers in the world! (and lets be honest we have all come into contact with them!) I'm not sure whether there are any alternative positions for the muffler change button. I suppose thats a question to the dealership or even manufacturer. In regards to the bike inspections yes we do have them. not entirely sure what the parameters are for it though.

And spookymason is correct. Very big bucks. Around £1500 to buy... that's without the labour cost!

I think I may start with the DK A/C to begin with then weigh up the options and wait to see if there are any further reviews. I'm no where near ready to upgrade (yet!) but still enjoying the 883 for what she is.

By the way SuperMason I see you are from Neath! Just down the road from me. I'm in Pontardawe.

Regards

Hawk

Quick Reply: Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde Exhausts