Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde Exhausts

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 01:15 PM
Fozzy4325
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a set that i put on my Intruder 1100 when i lived in the Netherlands. I know the owners from all the parties, rallies etc...

When the baffles are closed they are legal but when they are open they are illegal in Europe due tot he sound limits. The pipes are Legal as they are not racing pipes but if you get caught just play dumb... also, they used to be able to remove the name so they looked like no name pipes because the dutch police were getting better at recognising them.

Old 03-13-2014, 07:19 PM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

it seems to me I remember a while back that there was a company that sold a cable activated valve for an exhaust bypass for hd...maybe jcwhitney....it was back in the early 90's I think...

Old 03-18-2014, 04:49 PM
HawkIron
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fozzy4325
I had a set that i put on my Intruder 1100 when i lived in the Netherlands. I know the owners from all the parties, rallies etc...

When the baffles are closed they are legal but when they are open they are illegal in Europe due tot he sound limits. The pipes are Legal as they are not racing pipes but if you get caught just play dumb... also, they used to be able to remove the name so they looked like no name pipes because the dutch police were getting better at recognising them.

Fozzy,

if you don't mind me asking how long ago was this? I know I shouldn't believe everything the dealership tells me but they said it was all legal... but I could be completely wrong and they're trying to get more money from me. It all seems legit at the moment but it will be sometime before I can afford to even think about getting these at their price!

Old 05-12-2014, 08:17 AM
boodog
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by HawkIron
And spookymason is correct. Very big bucks. Around £1500 to buy... that's without the labour cost!

By the way SuperMason I see you are from Neath! Just down the road from me. I'm in Pontardawe.

Regards

Hawk
It looks like there's a Welsh sub-group forming - I'm in Llandovery

I agree they're expensive, I've just had them fitted to my Ultra Classic. When I totalled up the stage 1 (V&H pipes, power commander and hi-flow air filter) there was only about £200 difference because when fitting the J&H that's all you need because they remap the ECU to get the performance hike equivalent of a stage 1 with standard air filter. I opted for the J&H because I get the police and "quiet village at midnight" option to go stealth.

I do think the way they wire them up though is stupid - I asked Swansea Harley Davidson to wire then up to the accessories switch but they said that in order to comply with EC regulation it had to be the horn switch.

They work in 2 ways. There's a flip switch just above the horn next to the engine that when pointing backwards the pipes are in auto mode which means quiet at tickover, full loud as soon as you pull off but then go quiet again automatically between 30 and 50mph, loud again thereafter. The horn works in this mode. The logic behind this is, apparently, that when the EC bring in mandatory volume testing they'll do it as a moving test at, you guessed it, between 30 and 50mph. Not sure I believe this but it's what I was told. If I push the flip switch forwards then the pipes go into full manual mode where the horn is disabled and the horn button controls the volume.

I really want to move the control away from the horn switch so that's something to keep me busy for a couple of hours sometime soon.

Old 05-12-2014, 09:23 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by boodog
It looks like there's a Welsh sub-group forming - I'm in Llandovery

I agree they're expensive, I've just had them fitted to my Ultra Classic. When I totalled up the stage 1 (V&H pipes, power commander and hi-flow air filter) there was only about £200 difference because when fitting the J&H that's all you need because they remap the ECU to get the performance hike equivalent of a stage 1 with standard air filter. I opted for the J&H because I get the police and "quiet village at midnight" option to go stealth.
Just to be clear, stage 1 is a free flowing exhaust AND a high flow A/C, along with an appropriate tune. Doing the pipes alone provides only a negligible performance gain. The normal purpose of installing a free flowing exhaust, other than being louder, is to handle the extra volume of air moving through the motor due to the addition of a high flow A/C. Without increasing the incoming air volume, your perceived performance increase by doing pipes alone will be mostly psychological.

Old 05-12-2014, 11:31 AM
Willymon
Advanced

Personally, being able to control pipe volume is not high on my priority list.

In my neighborhood, 2nd gear 25-30mph is very user friendly with the Screamin Eagles.

Old 05-14-2014, 11:16 AM
kimhwee
2nd Gear

i have it on my 883n. its lovely.!!!! being friendly to the neighbourhood..

Old 05-14-2014, 01:44 PM
Allen Riggs
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I've seen the ad for these before. My concern is the AFR when they're either open or closed. If you tune it in quiet mode, how bad does it lean out in loud mode. Flip the situation and how overly rich are you running in quiet mode? I like consistent expectations with my bike. I can't think of a situation that would cause me to do anything other than take it easy on the right wrist to stay quiet. I'm not a big a-hole, but I'm not doing anything to my bike to make others happy. But that's just me.

Old 07-10-2014, 05:31 AM
Peet Gerards
Stage I

The Jekill Hyde & Company is one of world's leadingmanufacturer of electronically adjustable exhaust systems with a European TypeApproval for all Harley Davidson models.

Main Characteristics of the exhaust systems:

- Perfect nice deep Sound
- Easy to install and operate
- Good Performance (open en closed)
- European approval (street legal throughout Europe also in Germany and Switzerland)
- Excellent quality, 2 years warranty
- High reliability

Old 01-11-2015, 11:31 PM
papifun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i just seen them and they were demo'd to me inside the Red Rock Harley in Vegas. They have a cutout of the technology for you to see it.. its real cool and sounds amazing but at 2800$ for a set of slip ons... They don't need to be wired to your horn switch, there is a separate switch control switch added.ill wait a while. Im sure other manufactures will follow soon enough..

http://www.bikeline.se/en/blogg/news...oud-legal.html

Last edited by papifun; 01-11-2015 at 11:33 PM.

Quick Reply: Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde Exhausts