Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing my air filter

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 09:18 AM
chugger93
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing my air filter

Hey guys, so this is what my current air filter setup looks like. I know its a non-stock filter, but doesnt really look like a K&N to me? I was thinking about replacing it with this

Does that seem like nonsense?

Old 03-07-2014, 10:53 AM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

what for?? the one on there looks fine...I say save your money for chrome..

Old 03-07-2014, 10:55 AM
kingxirol
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by chugger93
Hey guys, so this is what my current air filter setup looks like. I know its a non-stock filter, but doesnt really look like a K&N to me? I was thinking about replacing it with this

Does that seem like nonsense?
As far as I know most K&N filters have that reddish filter element. The one in pic looks like the HD high-flow filter that comes standard with SE air-cleaner kit. Check it out here:

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...-18-2978207--1

Use the mouse-over zoom on the filter for a better look.

Old 03-07-2014, 11:42 AM
BoredOutMyMind
Cruiser

i Just put that exact breather on my bike, i love it so far, but i had to buy the kit with the extender breather bolts and other bolts and washers and what not...one thing that surprised me was that it came with lock tight ^_^
didn't come with a gasket though which pissed me off

Old 03-07-2014, 01:29 PM
kingxirol
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
Angry

Originally Posted by BoredOutMyMind
i Just put that exact breather on my bike, i love it so far, but i had to buy the kit with the extender breather bolts and other bolts and washers and what not...one thing that surprised me was that it came with lock tight ^_^
didn't come with a gasket though which pissed me off
I am putting the same SE air-cleaner with upgraded K&N filter today and it's the same damn thing. I have to buy extended breather bolts and all of that other stuff. I see the point in selling this stuff separately but why can't they just charge more and include all of it in stage-1 SE kit and make it a turn-key system.

Old 03-07-2014, 02:08 PM
chugger93
Cruiser

All very interesting. I'm assuming that since I already have the bolts and hardware,I can just buy the K&N and call it a day. I just dont know if you can clean and reoil the HD version, so maybe I'll just get the K&N and call it a day. Looks like a direct replacement anyways.

Old 03-07-2014, 02:28 PM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The one pictured on your bike looks like a K&N to me with the wire meshing...Looks like it may just need cleaning. I'm not sure what that little bumps are sticking off the side of the filter though.....Maybe to hold the chrome cover out from the filter a bit to allow more air in. The red color on K&N's come from the oil you spray on the filter after washing it. I have the open K&N on my Big Sucker II and it looks grey/black right now from the dirt/road grime. Just saying.

Old 03-07-2014, 05:40 PM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,847 Likes on 1,260 Posts

From the looks of the kit, it looks like it uses the original breather bolts. My older SE aircleaner (flat metal plate syle) came with some spacers and longer bolts, but it looks like new one is not flat, and is contoured toward the head breather bolts.

John

Last edited by John Harper; 03-07-2014 at 05:44 PM.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:25 PM
BoredOutMyMind
Cruiser

Originally Posted by kingxirol
I am putting the same SE air-cleaner with upgraded K&N filter today and it's the same damn thing. I have to buy extended breather bolts and all of that other stuff. I see the point in selling this stuff separately but why can't they just charge more and include all of it in stage-1 SE kit and make it a turn-key system.
Well i decided to not go to the harley dealer to get my kit, because my local dealer always likes to d*ck around over there so i just ordered the whole kit from ebay for like $150 with shipping
the kit came with that exact breather in the link he posted, some extender breather bolts, bolts, washers, and some other thing i dont know what its called, and lock tight
but my stock gasket was shot to sh*t so i had to pay $2.12 for a new one at the dealer unfortunately.
the only thing stock i used were the breather bolts and thats it
also that kit is built so you can put your stock breather case over it if you prefer, and i didnt want that ugly piece on it smh
http://www.ebay.com/itm/STAGE-1-AIR-...1eae0b&vxp=mtr