Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me decide - New air intake

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 12:03 AM
fishwack
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Help me decide - New air intake

So I've been having a really hard time deciding on a new intake for my bike.
I'm currently trying to decide between the SE Stage 1 round intake or the RSD venturi.

The main reason I'm not hot on the SE is the apparent lack of cool covers for it. I'm considering building my own but not to sure on any ideas for it.

Anyone have experience or reviews of the RSD intake? I'm putting it on a 2013 48 with forward controls.

I've also looked at the DK customs cleaners. They have some cool looking stuff but I'm a bit put off by the breather bolts setup.

Any advice or ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 03-07-2014, 12:42 AM
Zanejjnelson1
Cruiser

I have one of dk's outlaw ac with the clear cover which I like a. Lot. Rsd's clarity line is pretty awesome and I wanted something like that. As far as the breather bolts are concerned they don't make the bike smell significantly different than before, ya it's more noticeable but it isn't bad, and I have pretty sensitive nose. Aside from that they have another set up with a filter tube that ends in an air filter running down the bike and dumping that air near the frame if you don't want to have the breather bolta blowing on you. I get some misting but only when I'm hammering it and riding a little more crazy, around town never. Full up use the gas station squeegee and its gone, not noticeable on pant legs either. If you have the money and like the style of red, turbine looks cool also, do it but they are just as effective and good looking ac's out there.

Old 03-07-2014, 12:47 AM
Von_Zipper
Road Warrior
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Looks or performance? If looks choose whatever seems nice to you. If performance go for K&N Aircharger (shop around for best price).

Old 03-07-2014, 09:19 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,196 Likes on 2,440 Posts

Originally Posted by fishwack
So I've been having a really hard time deciding on a new intake for my bike.
I'm currently trying to decide between the SE Stage 1 round intake or the RSD venturi.

The main reason I'm not hot on the SE is the apparent lack of cool covers for it. I'm considering building my own but not to sure on any ideas for it.

Anyone have experience or reviews of the RSD intake? I'm putting it on a 2013 48 with forward controls.

I've also looked at the DK customs cleaners. They have some cool looking stuff but I'm a bit put off by the breather bolts setup.

Any advice or ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.
Thanks for looking at our products. If you don't like the breather bolts, you can go with the Traditional Hose & Filter Breather, or the Discrete Breather. Click HERE to see the details on them.

You can choose to have the filter terminate anywhere you want. Here's where I have mine on my Sporty.

Whatever A/C you get, I recommend that it not vent the hot oily air into the intake, both for performance reasons and for long term issues. Below is a typical look at what happens if you do-

Old 03-07-2014, 11:50 AM
BoredOutMyMind
Cruiser

i went with the SE stage 1 breather...so far i like it a lot, makes my bike run a lot smoother at high RMP and its gotten quicker too
wait till i get my carb rejetted >
but ive only ridden with it 3 times, but it definitely shocked me, in my opinion its worth the money

Old 03-07-2014, 02:17 PM
chugger93
Cruiser

I'm glad I found this thread...I've never even thought about this breather thing. I'm guessing mine is probably still stock. So what's the difference between the bolt and routing it with the tube? It is purely asthetics? Seems like the bolt breather is the easiest.

Old 03-07-2014, 04:52 PM
DK Custom Products
Sponsor
Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by chugger93
I'm glad I found this thread...I've never even thought about this breather thing. I'm guessing mine is probably still stock. So what's the difference between the bolt and routing it with the tube? It is purely asthetics? Seems like the bolt breather is the easiest.
I'm assuming your asking about our breather bolts vs our Hose and filter style breathers (please forgive me if i'm wrong). The breather bolts give the cleanest look, but some people don't want to run the risk of possibly having any residue (this hardly ever happens).

That's where the discrete breather system comes into place. It vents to a filter that you can put virtually anywhere on the bike.

Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 03-07-2014, 05:29 PM
cpracing519
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the RSD Ventura Speed 5 on my 48 and like it. My friend made me the brass spacers and also powder coated the cover in brass and black. If you get 1, ask them for the air cleaner retro fit kit breather tube upgrade kit. #0206-4002. It's free from them but doesn't come with the a/c kit.

retro fit kit # 0206-4002

Old 03-07-2014, 10:40 PM
fishwack
Stage II

Well thanks everybody for the advice. I've ended up order just a simple SE stage 1 round kit. I'm going to make a custom cover for it so I end up with something totally unique. If it turns out shitty I'll just order an RSD

CPRacing that is a really nice looking ride man, great job.

Old 03-08-2014, 06:13 AM
DrewBone
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Yo fishwacker,

I hemmed and whored about an intake for months. The round designs, although functioning well, I found to be cheezy looking and repetative. Not liking these designs led me down another corridor, to the K&N Air Charger Part #63-1126...just look at the filter surface area:

http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...x?prod=63-1126

I've been running mine for two years, without any cover, through numerous rainstorms, and it's done just fine. Twice I've cleaned/reconditioned it and it's no worse for wear as a result.

The only small issue with this setup is that [crankcase] oil vapor is returned via the assemblies "U" pipe back to the engine through the intake, so I fab'd up a relatively simple and inexpensive solution so the engine could vent to atmosphere...see link below.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...ather-mod.html

I simply deverted the oil vapors from the "U" tube down to a stainless steel filter that I mounted at the base of the engine between the jugs that has yet to show any signs of oil whatsoever. I covered the 3/8" OD port that was originally used to recieve vapors back to the intake elbow with a simple blank-off vacuum cap. Voila'.

The K&N Air Charger has a good reputation and looks bitchin' to me. It's "similar" in design though not the same as the HD Heavy Breather, which has internal breather bolts that return the crankcase ventilation vapors to the engine via an inclosed design. At least with the K&N you have an easy alternate method of re-routing these vapors to atmosphere or catch can should you wish to do so.

And contrary to popular belief, the K&N doesn't stick out much more than the stock ham can. As such I don't have any issues with right leg interference.

=8^)

Quick Reply: Help me decide - New air intake