Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grip change question

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 02:22 AM
GodAbandonedMe
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grip change question

...Because I'm an idiot. I plan on getting Frisco's for my new 48 and wanted to put Bilt's KungFu grips on. So I have to buy a new throttle assembly (dual whiskey?) or can I just buy a throttle tube?

Old 03-06-2014, 02:36 AM
Sweforty8
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GodAbandonedMe
...Because I'm an idiot. I plan on getting Frisco's for my new 48 and wanted to put Bilt's KungFu grips on. So I have to buy a new throttle assembly (dual whiskey?) or can I just buy a throttle tube?
Just get the throttle tube. The whiskey throttle won't look good with your stock controls.

Old 03-06-2014, 02:40 AM
GodAbandonedMe
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Sweforty8
Just get the throttle tube. The whiskey throttle won't look good with your stock controls.
Am I cutting the grip off the throttle side to get to the tube? I thought since it was stock the throttle side grip was one piece

Old 03-06-2014, 03:59 AM
JB'R
Tourer

Do you have to get a throttle tube?

Old 03-06-2014, 04:04 AM
GodAbandonedMe
Cruiser

Originally Posted by JB'R
Do you have to get a throttle tube?
That's what I am wondering. I'm not sure if the stock throttle side is a grip over a throttle tube or is just one piece

Old 03-06-2014, 04:06 AM
Sweforty8
Road Captain

Am I cutting the grip off the throttle side to get to the tube? I thought since it was stock the throttle side grip was one piece
The throttle side grip is "one piece" and can be re-used. But since your getting new bars and new KungFu grips you will need a new throttle tube (looks just like the org part minus the grip). You will slide the new KungFu grip on there and attach the throttle wires and ferrules then slide the clutch side grip right on the bar. The grips have a clutch side fit (a 1" hole) and a throttle side fit with a bigger hole to accommodate the throttle tube. The outside diameter of the grip are the same though.

Old 03-06-2014, 04:13 AM
GodAbandonedMe
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Sweforty8
The throttle side grip is "one piece" and can be re-used. But since your getting new bars and new KungFu grips you will need a new throttle tube (looks just like the org part minus the grip). You will slide the new KungFu grip on there and attach the throttle wires and ferrules then slide the clutch side grip right on the bar. The grips have a clutch side fit (a 1" hole) and a throttle side fit with a bigger hole to accommodate the throttle tube. The outside diameter of the grip are the same though.
Ok thanks. So basically any cheap plastic throttle tube should work right? Sorry for the dumb questions, have ride since I was a kid but first time owner.

Old 03-06-2014, 05:12 AM
Sweforty8
Road Captain

Ok thanks. So basically any cheap plastic throttle tube should work right? Sorry for the dumb questions, have ride since I was a kid but first time owner.
There are no stupid questions! Yes any will work, check out lowbrow customs think they might have a few to choose from. It won't cost you an arm, but bmaybe a pinky.

Biltwell has these...
http://www.biltwellinc.com/index.php...t_detail&p=119

The reason the dual whiskey won't work is because that used when you delete the switch housings to clean up the bars.

Good luck!

Last edited by Sweforty8; 03-06-2014 at 05:15 AM.
Old 03-06-2014, 05:34 AM
modular
Stellar HDF Member

Received 285 Likes on 184 Posts

I have replaced many a bars and have always re-used my OEM throttle tube. I just cut the original grips off with a razor blade and slide the new ones on. I have also used the Kung Fu grips but they didn't last long for me under aggressive riding.

Old 03-06-2014, 05:53 AM
chappy99
Road Captain

It is easier to get a new tube,i did not and had to fool around getting the glue off the old one,and the grips are two sizes one side is 1" and the side that goes over the tube is 1 1/8"
They do not go inside the housing just butt up against it,so the next time you change them
you do not have to remove the screws,just cut the old ones off and put the new ones on.

Quick Reply: Grip change question