Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Troubling report from Blackstone

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 08:08 AM
xwhyz1959
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 1,789 Likes on 531 Posts
Default Troubling report from Blackstone

Good morning my friends. I just got back the results of the oil analysis on the transmission oil on my 06 XL1200, with 36012 on the clock as of this morning. I've been running Formula+ since I've had the thing, and change it roughly every 10k, but this sample only had 7611 miles on it. This sample is the first I've sent on the transmission lube on this bike, (my bad for not doing it in the past), but here is what Blackstone had to say.

The transmission for your motorcycle has some high readings. Aluminum, iron, and copper are all far above
averages (which are based on about 5,000 miles of oil use), and silicon is high as well. If this is only the second oil
change for this transmission, maybe what we're looking at is just residual from the break-in period (with metals from parts
building tolerances and silicon from sealers). If this transmission has seen more than 3 oil changes, though, there might

an issue. We'll see what the next sample looks like before calling anything a for-sure problem. Is it shifting well?

my reading averages
Aluminum 96 23
Iron 105 44
Copper 21 6

It does shift well. Any recommendations on another lubricant for this bike? Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited by xwhyz1959; 03-05-2014 at 08:14 AM.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:08 AM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,973 Likes on 1,345 Posts

I took the recommendation of some of the forum and use Mobil 1 75W/90 gear oil.

John

Old 03-05-2014, 09:23 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,223 Likes on 2,457 Posts

Originally Posted by xwhyz1959
Good morning my friends. I just got back the results of the oil analysis on the transmission oil on my 06 XL1200, with 36012 on the clock as of this morning. I've been running Formula+ since I've had the thing, and change it roughly every 10k, but this sample only had 7611 miles on it. This sample is the first I've sent on the transmission lube on this bike, (my bad for not doing it in the past), but here is what Blackstone had to say.

The transmission for your motorcycle has some high readings. Aluminum, iron, and copper are all far above
averages (which are based on about 5,000 miles of oil use), and silicon is high as well. If this is only the second oil
change for this transmission, maybe what we're looking at is just residual from the break-in period (with metals from parts
building tolerances and silicon from sealers). If this transmission has seen more than 3 oil changes, though, there might

an issue. We'll see what the next sample looks like before calling anything a for-sure problem. Is it shifting well?

my reading averages
Aluminum 96 23
Iron 105 44
Copper 21 6

It does shift well. Any recommendations on another lubricant for this bike? Thanks in advance for your help.
Are you running the original clutch pack? Could be indicative that your rivets are about to let go.

Originally Posted by John Harper
I took the recommendation of some of the forum and use Mobil 1 75W/90 gear oil.

John
What year and model are you running Mobil 1 75W/90 gear oil in?

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 03-05-2014, 09:32 AM
xwhyz1959
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by DK Custom
Are you running the original clutch pack? Could be indicative that your rivets are about to let go.
I sent this sample off when I changed out my OEM clutch pack. And the spring plate was in excellent condition.

Old 03-05-2014, 09:47 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,223 Likes on 2,457 Posts

Originally Posted by xwhyz1959
I sent this sample off when I changed out my OEM clutch pack. And the spring plate was in excellent condition.
I got nothing....unless there was an issue with chain tension?

I use the Formula+ with no issues.

Old 03-05-2014, 10:24 AM
slyedog
Elite HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom
I got nothing....unless there was an issue with chain tension?

I use the Formula+ with no issues.
I'm with Kevin. Don't think Formula + would be any cause. Should change the oil at least once a year. Even at 30k you should have done it close to 10 times if done annually. Maybe overkill for some but let your new clutch run a 1k or so. Change oil again and then send it off. See what they say then. I wouldn't worry and wonder why you would even send oil analysis off if no problems to begin with? I would never send one off unless I suspected a problem.

Old 03-05-2014, 10:44 AM
xwhyz1959
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by slyedog
I'm with Kevin. Don't think Formula + would be any cause. Should change the oil at least once a year. Even at 30k you should have done it close to 10 times if done annually. Maybe overkill for some but let your new clutch run a 1k or so. Change oil again and then send it off. See what they say then. I wouldn't worry and wonder why you would even send oil analysis off if no problems to begin with? I would never send one off unless I suspected a problem.
That's the whole point behind UOA's, to find problems. My only regret. is not doing it from oil change one, so I could know if this is normal for my bike. My other two bikes all run at, or below averages. So, like I said, I don't know if this is normal, or trending up. But according to Blackstone, my unit is above averages.

Old 03-05-2014, 10:47 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by slyedog
Engine oil should be changed at least once a year to eliminate the buildup of acid in the oil that is a byproduct of the combustion process. Since there are no combustion byproducts in the gearbox to contaminate the oil, there is no requirement to change the primary/tranny annually unless dictated by mileage or other extenuating circumstances.

You obviously don't understand the benefits of monitoring the power-train's condition with UOA's. There's a reason many large fleet operators do so. The early detection of a problem through UOA often results in less costly repairs and the ability to better plan for it.

If the OP in this case was planning a 5,000 mile cross country trip this Spring, the UOA just might have saved him from an expensive, major breakdown on the road.

Seldom is ignorance bliss.......

Old 03-05-2014, 12:19 PM
slyedog
Elite HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by cHarley
Engine oil should be changed at least once a year to eliminate the buildup of acid in the oil that is a byproduct of the combustion process. Since there are no combustion byproducts in the gearbox to contaminate the oil, there is no requirement to change the primary/tranny annually unless dictated by mileage or other extenuating circumstances.

You obviously don't understand the benefits of monitoring the power-train's condition with UOA's. There's a reason many large fleet operators do so. The early detection of a problem through UOA often results in less costly repairs and the ability to better plan for it.

If the OP in this case was planning a 5,000 mile cross country trip this Spring, the UOA just might have saved him from an expensive, major breakdown on the road.

Seldom is ignorance bliss.......
Your comparing apples and oranges. Never said uoa was pointless. Fleet companies drive hundreds of thousands of miles a year. Not 3 k a year. If you shift hard and or ride the clutch wrong etc where is the disadvantage of changing oil in primary annually a issue. Its not. It may be overkill but to each their own. Oil shears and breaks down period. The time that happens varies by application and usage conditions. Kudos to op for checking it. But as the results said another analisys is needed for more info. Hope next result is better.

Old 03-05-2014, 12:29 PM
ElectraGlideSteve
Road Warrior
Received 93 Likes on 61 Posts

Just curious, what does it cost to have an oil analysis done?
How long does it take to get the results?

Quick Reply: Troubling report from Blackstone