Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ratmobile's '90 Sportster Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 07:31 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

I think you're off to a great start with this bike project...don't feed the haters as they're just not into creative thought. Probably still do it mission style every time and never eat at the "Y"...

Old 03-06-2014, 07:34 PM
Vincewd
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Looks great!

Old 03-06-2014, 07:45 PM
Ratmobile
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceman24
I think you're off to a great start with this bike project...don't feed the haters as they're just not into creative thought. Probably still do it mission style every time and never eat at the "Y"...
hahaha I didn't think anyone else knew about that expression 'cept me and a select few.

and thanks. im on a few truck forums and no one really throws around negative posts about other people/their ride, usually just stick to the 'if you dont have anything nice to say...' saying. I get everyone has their opinion, but no need to post on someones thread just because you dont like what their doing.

Old 03-06-2014, 07:52 PM
Vincewd
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

I have a 89 with a lot of mods, it's the bike people notice. something about a sportster. It's the one in my avatar.

I like your bike,

Old 03-06-2014, 08:04 PM
run1fsr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts

Pay attention to what clear you use, as many do not hold up to fuel spills.

FYI – Almost two years now for my bare metal tank and fender with decals ... no issues. I simply hit it with stainless steel cleaner twice a year.

Attached Thumbnails Ratmobile's '90 Sportster Build Thread-1sporty-pics-jan-2013-018.jpg   Ratmobile's '90 Sportster Build Thread-1.jpg  
Old 03-06-2014, 08:25 PM
Ratmobile
Intermediate

Originally Posted by run1fsr
Pay attention to what clear you use, as many do not hold up to fuel spills.

FYI – Almost two years now for my bare metal tank and fender with decals ... no issues. I simply hit it with stainless steel cleaner twice a year.
Yeah, I read about certain clears aren't chemical (fuel) and/or uv resistant so I'll definitely do my homework beforehand.

Interesting you didn't clear yours and it didn't rust. Do you live in the rust belt? I'm in massachusetts and everything rusts. I wont be riding in the winters when there's salt on the road, but do you think just using stainless steel cleaner would hold the rust for a while?

I'm wasn't gonna clear it until I was satisfied with the rest of the bike so I could definitely try out using SS cleaner. Any particular brand you recommend?

Old 03-06-2014, 09:01 PM
run1fsr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts

The cleaner brand is Weiman. Believe I purchased it at Wal-Mart.

I’m in the DC area, so yes … we get foul weather, however, the bike is garaged and never sees it. I set the bike up for riding twisty back roads, and that is not conducive to poor surface conditions.

You should be fine. If you do get a little surface just hit it with a fine Scotch Brite.

Old 03-07-2014, 03:46 AM
Proteus
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceman24
don't feed the haters as they're just not into creative thought.
Showing a creation on a forum calls for advices. If someone can't take a negative advice, he shouldn't show anything.

This being said, my bike is my own either, and I can understand other people won't like it. My money, my bike.

Old 03-07-2014, 04:35 AM
GodAbandonedMe
Cruiser

I dig it. Anybody doing their own thing is cool. I'm personally not into chrome an and stuff like skull mirrors iron crosses ect but to each his own

Old 05-27-2014, 05:59 PM
Ratmobile
Intermediate

I guess I'm not too good at keeping up with build threads, forgot about it for almost 3 months.

Anyway, I've made some progress towards my goal; solo seat pan, sissy bar, chop'n'lower rear fender, etc... It's been taking a lot longer than I wanted it to but I'm nearly finished. Got a few parts I'm waiting on and some things needed to be welded to the bike. Then I gotta hit the tins and sissy bar with spraymax 2k clearcoat.

I'll probably edit my post sometime later to include a few in-progress pics but for now here's where I'm at. Don't mind all the phony editing

Quick Reply: Ratmobile's '90 Sportster Build Thread