Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heavier fork oil on a 48. Which one?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 01:09 PM
Sweforty8
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Heavier fork oil on a 48. Which one?

Hi

I would like to reduce the level of "dive" when breaking on my 48. Was thinking of replacing the fork springs out for some progressive springs. But then I thought I'd try and get a good result from just changing the fork oil for a heavier one.

Those of you who've done this which one did you use and what's your take on it?

The org oil is 10wt If I remember correctly. If I go for the SE 15wt will that be a big difference and an improvement? Or shoud I try the SE heavy 20wt?

Btw I'm always riding solo and rarely have a passenger on.

Old 02-28-2014, 01:39 PM
Dyno Don
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't speak for the shocks on a 48 but here is what we are doing with air shocks on SG. They come with 5 wt SHOCK OIL! Not motor oil. We found Amsoil 10 wt shock oil on the internet and replaced the lighter stuff. Instead of running 25 PSI in the shocks we now run 7 PSI and have eliminated the bottoming out of the shocks on the rear.
My guess is that if you go 5 wt higher you will have changed the shock hydraulic action sufficiently enough to eliminate most of the shock compression problem you now have.
That is what I would try....it will not cost an arm and a leg...It's up to you...Good Luck.

Old 02-28-2014, 01:53 PM
Sweforty8
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Dyno Don
I can't speak for the shocks on a 48 but here is what we are doing with air shocks on SG. They come with 5 wt SHOCK OIL! Not motor oil. We found Amsoil 10 wt shock oil on the internet and replaced the lighter stuff. Instead of running 25 PSI in the shocks we now run 7 PSI and have eliminated the bottoming out of the shocks on the rear.
My guess is that if you go 5 wt higher you will have changed the shock hydraulic action sufficiently enough to eliminate most of the shock compression problem you now have.
That is what I would try....it will not cost an arm and a leg...It's up to you...Good Luck.
Thanks for your reply! But I'm looking to change the front fork oil.

Old 02-28-2014, 04:44 PM
Kenny94945
Stellar HDF Member
Received 388 Likes on 325 Posts

If you go to a heavier oil, not only will you slow compression, but also rebound dampening.

Only you'll know if you like that.

I'd try the 15 before the 20.

You can also experiment with increased oil level to reduce dive.

Old 03-01-2014, 03:53 AM
Sportster Spence
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The stock fork oil on your 48 is 5cwt, changing it out to 10cwt will make a significant difference!

I did mine when I fitted my Progressive springs, night & day difference over stock

Old 03-04-2014, 10:02 AM
Dyno Don
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sweforty8
Thanks for your reply! But I'm looking to change the front fork oil.
Yes I am aware of that. My point was that it makes no difference front or rear...the resulting change to 10 wt oil will give the same result. I.E. the front forks are a shock.... Good Luck.

Old 03-04-2014, 04:16 PM
Sweforty8
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Dyno Don
Yes I am aware of that. My point was that it makes no difference front or rear...the resulting change to 10 wt oil will give the same result. I.E. the front forks are a shock.... Good Luck.
Saw that when I read your reply again thanks man! Think I'll go for 10wt at first if that's no good then I'll just try 15wt...

Thanks guys for your replies!

Old 03-04-2014, 07:03 PM
Von_Zipper
Road Warrior
Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

I'm hard on front brakes, as a matter of fact I use rear brake only in slippery conditions or when I have to brake hard while leaning over. I found adding a 3/4" spacer to stock spring and switching to 7W Bel-Ray created a perfect setup for me. In case you didn't know, stock springs are progressive, too. It is just a matter of preload on springs. I tried with 1" spacers first and it was too stiff.

Old 03-04-2014, 11:11 PM
John_K
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Your dive will be reduced by two things... spring rate and preload. Those are most easily adjusted by the AMOUNT of oil in the forks, not the weight. adding spring spacers also does the same thing. Changing to a dual rate spring is another option.

Changing oil weight only affects the damping... or the speed at which the forks compress and rebound.

Old 03-05-2014, 02:57 AM
Sweforty8
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Von_Zipper
I'm hard on front brakes, as a matter of fact I use rear brake only in slippery conditions or when I have to brake hard while leaning over. I found adding a 3/4" spacer to stock spring and switching to 7W Bel-Ray created a perfect setup for me. In case you didn't know, stock springs are progressive, too. It is just a matter of preload on springs. I tried with 1" spacers first and it was too stiff.
Great thank you! A friend of mine actually suggested the same thing. Think ill try and see if I get the wanted effect with a spacer!

Thanks again!

Quick Reply: Heavier fork oil on a 48. Which one?