Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need your help on forward controls!

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 11:48 AM
Maine-Rider
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need your help on forward controls!

Am I able to put forwards on my Iron with the pipe set up I have (full screaming eagle exhaust)? Looks like the front pipe is right in the way. Also do you think Id benefit having forwards on my bike? I'm a solid 5'10-11". Ive ridden dirt bikes for years but this is my first motorcycle. Do you find it harder to control with forwards?

Attached Thumbnails Need your help on forward controls!-photo.jpg  
Old 02-28-2014, 05:02 PM
Maine-Rider
Advanced

anyone?

Old 02-28-2014, 05:04 PM
scrookie
Cruiser

I learned on mid controls and wasn't sure about the forward controls when I bought my bike, but now I really like the forward controls. Seems like a more natural spot for them.

Old 02-28-2014, 06:31 PM
dandrumheller
Road Master
Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

I 'learned' 18 years ago on a '77 Honda CB750K with mids - then went 18 years without riding. Came back last fall, riding a Honda 250 NightHawk with mids for the MSF course. Bought my '02 1200 Custom with forwards the following week. The first couple days of riding with the forwards, I found myself trying to pick my feet up onto non-existent mids when taking off from a stop (my buddy who followed me home from picking up the bike was laughing his *** off at me when we got home). With 1000 miles on the Sporty now, they feel completely natural to me.

Lots of people talk about stability and having better control/feel for the bike with mids vs. forwards. I don't completely disagree, and if you're planning on riding aggressively, you might want to think about keeping them. They are also nice if you want to stand up on the pegs (either to see over slow traffic or when surmounting obstacles) - forwards are VERY difficult (at least for me) to do this.

However, for me, I don't think I would ever consider mids on my bike. I don't particularly remember feeling 'cramped' on the Honda 750 (but it has something like a 3 or 4 inch higher seat height than the Sporty - so much so that a short guy like me (5'8") with a 30 inch inseam couldn't flat-foot it comfortably). I was definitely cramped on the NightHawk at MSF, and have simulated putting my feet on mids on the Sporty - my knees come roughly to the top of the tank - and start aching almost immediately. I don't feel like I have a 'lack' of control on the bike when using forwards - it's just a different feel than with mids.

Of course from a 'best of both worlds' perspective you could always keep the mids on and put on highway pegs if you want to stretch out. Doesn't lead to the 'cleanest' looking bike though. But as you said, I'm not sure you can fit standard factory forwards with that exhaust you have...

Good luck from a fellow Mainer!

Dan

Old 02-28-2014, 07:24 PM
Peacekeeper6
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I learned to ride a bike on mids.

That said, when the road starts getting REALLY twisty, I'll get my feet off my highway pegs and place them on my mid controls. For some reason, I can aggressively lean the bike more comfortable than if my feet were stretched out.

I ride with a guy who is the complete opposite so....

Old 02-28-2014, 08:45 PM
Maine-Rider
Advanced

Thanks for input fellas! Anyone know if I could put them on with my exhaust?

Old 02-28-2014, 11:32 PM
racin45
Cruiser

you can get different mounts for different applications ,, not sure yours though

Old 03-01-2014, 01:13 PM
Maine-Rider
Advanced

Anyone else? Someone has got to know if I could put forwards on or not

Old 03-01-2014, 02:24 PM
Curt1953
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 77 Posts

Have you tried asking at your dealer, if the forwards will work with your pipes.

Old 03-01-2014, 04:16 PM
subguy
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Harley forward controls should work. The rear brake foot peg mount curves back so it goes behind the front exhaust. You can go down to a dealer and order or look on eBay. If in doubt talk to a parts guy at a dealership.

Quick Reply: Need your help on forward controls!