Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can anyone help me fit a set of X2 Hand Grips?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 02:40 PM
JockHog
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can anyone help me fit a set of X2 Hand Grips?

I have just bought a set of X2 Hand Grips. On opening the package the 'Enclosed Fitting Instructions' refers me to the maintainance manual for fitting the right grip. Slightly frustrating as I don't know why they could not have a copy of that section of the manual in the 'fitting instructions'. Can anyone help me out here. Suggestions to go out and buy a maintainance manual will not be appreciated having just spent $75 on grips and fitting instructions. Tks.

Old 03-21-2007, 02:52 PM
capttawes
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Can anyone help me fit a set of X2 Hand Grips?

Go out and buy a service manual....just kidding
Stick some cardboard as a shim in between your brake lever and the mount (this prevents you from breaking the tiny signal switch by keeping the lever engaged a little) then loosen your switch housing which will give you access to remove the grip but you will first have to loosen up your throttle and idle cables all the way so that you can rotate the grip enough to remove them from their slots (be careful not to lose the brass ferrules that the cable ends fit in). After all this just slide the gripoff and put newone on and replace your cables(put a little graphite lube in the end of the grip before sliding the grip tube on), tighten down your switch housings then re-adjust your throttle/idel cables for appropriate play (turn bars side to side with motor running to make sure the cables don't bind or rev. the motor by being too tight).

By the way, everyone likes to just say buy a manual not because they don't want to help but to help you with all the other stuff that you might do. The manual was the first accessory I purchased since I planned on working on my bike myself. It covers all the little stuff like size of wrench, torx or allen head to use,torque settingsso you don't snap a bolt off or strip it and things to watch out for like that brake signal switch that you cannot see but will break without the cardboard in there and has diagramswhich ease many tasks that your not familiar with.

Good luck

Old 03-31-2007, 05:30 AM
JockHog
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Can anyone help me fit a set of X2 Hand Grips?

Thanks