Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suggestions for Upgraded Rear Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 11:42 AM
DelawareDon
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suggestions for Upgraded Rear Shocks

Hi all! I'm new to this forum, but am enjoying reading and learning about my new 06 XL883, which I will take delivery of tomorrow afternoon. I have over 40 years of riding experience, including long-distance touring and successful completion of the Saddle Sore 1000, leading to membership in the International Iron Butt Association. I've owned and ridden Ducati's, Honda's, Yamaha's, BMW's, and about 6 years ago, I had a HD Ultra Classic. Now that I am older, my riding style has changed, as well as my desire to"wrestle" with bikes in the 700-900 lb. range. Due to personal circumstances, it will be highly unlikely that my wife and I will do any long-distance touring. Riding will be short day-trips and enjoyable leisurely jaunts on beautiful, winding back roads. My dilema is this: Both my wife and I are not lightweights.....In fact, our combined weight puts us very close to the maximum carrying capacity of the Sportster. Given that fact, I suspect that our OEM rear shocks will be stretched to and beyond their limit, even to the extent of occasionally bottoming out. With that in mind, what would you recommend as replacement shock absorbers, including air shocks if any are available for the 883....and who are vendors who offer products at a fair and resonable price?

I appreciate those who might have the knowledge and experience, and who take the time to respond. Many thanks.

Old 03-21-2007, 11:58 AM
capttawes
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Suggestions for Upgraded Rear Shocks

Hey Don,

Most everyone on here and other forums that upgrades their shocks including me all use Progressive Suspension.
The most popular and affordable is the model 412 and ranges in size from 11-15" lengths depending on the travel you want and they can also be ordered with std. or heavyduty coil springs. I have 11" shocks on mine forthe lowered look and though they have minimal travel the ride alone or with the Mrs. is a vast difference over stock shocks. There are many sources for Progressives including Ebay. I purchased mine from http://members.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI...erid=easternpcas they had a good price and free shipping. Many folks also mount Road King air shocks which will give ya a good ride and are cheap on Ebay.

Good luck.

Old 03-21-2007, 12:49 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

ORIGINAL: capttawes

Hey Don,

Most everyone on here and other forums that upgrades their shocks including me all use Progressive Suspension.
The most popular and affordable is the model 412 and ranges in size from 11-15" lengths depending on the travel you want and they can also be ordered with std. or heavyduty coil springs. I have 11" shocks on mine for a the slowered look and though they have minimal travel the ride alone or with the Mrs. is a vast difference over stock shocks. There are many sources for Progressives inlucding Ebay. I purchased mine from http://members.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI...erid=easternpcas they had a good price and free shipping. Many folks also mount Road King air shocks which will give ya a good ride and are cheap on Ebay.

Good luck.
I agree go with heavy duty progressives. If your weight is a factor I wouldn't lower the bike much, go with a stock length or as close as you can get.

Old 03-21-2007, 02:30 PM
Oldcruz
Intermediate

I have an 07xl883L, and the rear shocks bottomed at times. I weight 205#. I put 412's HD on from Eastern PC, and what a world of differance, and no bottoming on the lowest setting. $179.00 shipped

Old 03-21-2007, 02:43 PM
capttawes
Road Warrior

Forgot to mention that Eastern Perf. also sells the Road King air shocks in 12" length for about $169.

Old 03-21-2007, 03:31 PM
DelawareDon
Cruiser

Thanks for the assistance. Much appreciated! I checked the Eastern Performance website, and they seem to carry heavy duty shocks for the XL at a length of 11 inches, 12 inches, and 12.5 inches. Which length comes closest to stock? I don't have my XL yet, so I can't tell without making a trip to the dealer.

Thanks again.

Old 03-21-2007, 04:03 PM
capttawes
Road Warrior

Hey Don,

If you've got an 883 std. or R they're 13.25 if you got an 883C or low they're 11.75
Even though I run 11" on mine if you prefer a cushy ride and with more suspension travel just get the 12" heavyduty and you'll have the best of both worlds (not too high and still decent suspension travel). My 11" shocks set on highest setting with the Mrs. and I only have about 1.25" of travel under load and with std. springs and I may be going up to HD springs or 11.5" shocks if she decides to ride with me more (we weigh in about 275 togther to give you an idea).

Old 03-21-2007, 04:14 PM
GothMetalGuitarist
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought the stock shocks were 12's. Progressives or another respected shock companies should be a better ride...of course based on personal preference. But, I would think if you adjusted your stock shocks they should handle the load just fine. Most specs on these bikes are slightly under rated for marginal purposes.

Old 03-21-2007, 10:30 PM
markdt
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buy some heavy duty progresive 412's they will be great

Old 03-21-2007, 11:16 PM
DelawareDon
Cruiser

I sincerely appreciate the feedback and suggestions. Late this afternoon I ordered a set of HD 12.5" progressives from Eastern Performance Cycles. About a half-hour ago, I got UPS notification that they are scheduled for arrival tomorrow. In addition to a very good price, Eastern Performance shipped them out very quickly. Thanks again, everyone.

Quick Reply: Suggestions for Upgraded Rear Shocks