Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Dead Battery!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007 | 01:06 AM
funkymonkey
|
Novice
Default New Dead Battery!

Hey Everyone!
I have had my 05 Sportster 1200 for a few months now and just last week I went out to go to work and it would not turn over. All gages and lights were on. Talked to a friend who owned bikes for a long time and he said to check the battery. Sure enough the battery was dead. Two days ago put a new battery in it and it ran fine on Monday....then this morning I started it up drove about 15 miles stopped to get gas and it would not start up again.It is sitting in my classroom (i am a teacher), but I can't get it home to work on it. Any suggestions on what to do next? I love riding and it is killing me to have to drive a car to work and back again!!

Old 03-21-2007 | 08:29 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Default RE: New Dead Battery!

First you need to get a charger on the battery either in or out for the bike. Once you get a full charge on it you could probable ride it home. If you do then recharge the battery again. Next, with the bike running and reved up a bit, measure the voltage across the battery terminals. It the charging circuit is working you should measure about 13.5 to 14 volts. If you measure 12.5 volts or less then the charging circuit isn't working.

Old 03-21-2007 | 11:10 AM
DelawareDon
Cruiser

Spending $39.95 for a Battery Tender Junior is one of the best purchases you will ever make.

Old 03-21-2007 | 11:46 AM
dsuppa
Road Captain

Even if the charging circuit isnt working you should still get more than 1 day before the battery is dead again. You more than likely have a power drain somewhere.

Old 03-21-2007 | 12:03 PM
cHarley
Club Member

ORIGINAL: dsuppa

Even if the charging circuit isnt working you should still get more than 1 day before the battery is dead again. You more than likely have a power drain somewhere.
I would not look for a short first. He rode it during the day Monday, cranked it again Tues. and then went dead 15 minutes later. If he had enough power to crank on Tues. AM the charge would have been replinished during the 15 minutes he rode. If it was a short he wouldn't have been able to crank it on day 2. Remember the bike only has a 12AH battery. That means 12 amp delivery for 1 hour. The lights on the bike draw approx. 8 amps per hour. I think he likely has a bad regulator or alternator.

Old 03-21-2007 | 02:48 PM
TAZ61
Advanced

DO YOU HAVE AN ALARM SYSTEM?

Old 03-21-2007 | 08:23 PM
Tiggeresq
Advanced

On my 05 there was a wire that was disconnecting because it was too short, and my bike wouldn't start (I thought it was a dead battery too). Check around where the fuel overflow hose is (in that area of the engine) and see if there is a disconnected wire. It's not obvious without a close inspection.HD service had to lengthen mine so it wouldn't disconnect.

Sorry I can't be more specific, I just ride them man.

Old 03-21-2007 | 11:29 PM
funkymonkey
|
Novice

Thanks for all the information! Well today I had a charger on it and it started up for me to take it home, but on the way home the engine light and oil light came on! I was one mile from my exit and then the spedometer went to zero while I was still going 70. I was able to get off the freeway, but the engine cut out and I had to coast off the offramp onto a side street. I was able to get it on a trailor to get it home, but now I am wondering why the oil light and engine light came on then all went off including the spedometor?
I checked the voltage before I started it up and it was at 12.5 (not running). I will try the things you told me and look for a unconnected wire. Let me know if the new things that happened mean something else.
Thanks again for all the advice.

Old 03-21-2007 | 11:29 PM
funkymonkey
|
Novice

It does not have an alarm system.

Old 03-22-2007 | 12:05 AM
jwb47
Road Warrior

I would check for a loose ground either at the battery or where it connects to the frame. it may be making a connection but jiggle around as you ride and not getting a full charge , when it breaks connection that would explain the engine light and oil light coming on.

Quick Reply: New Dead Battery!