Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help choosing a sporty

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 11:45 AM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,632 Likes on 2,735 Posts

I have a 2000 883 and a 2004 1200C, two really different bikes. Most noticeable on a first ride, of course, is the feeling the 1200 has double the power - actually a little less than 50% more, but still feels like a huge difference. That might not be a good thing for a beginner.

Although not geared quite as tall, my 883 isn't as smooth at low rpm's in first and second; changing speed in traffic in the first couple gears requires a lot of clutch work to keep it smooth, just working the throttle results in lurching. I've been told this doesn't happen with fuel injection (on 2007 and up sporties - mine are both carb), and it's not bad with my carbed 1200. I've ridden few bikes that required as smooth a touch with the clutch as that 883. Why would anyone want to ride in first or second gear? In town, here anyway, get a lot of 15 to 30 mph traffic, and 30 is hitting lugging speed for even the 883.

Forwards versus mids - this is a big one. Forwards might be more comfortable, but you have better balance with mids, period, and easier to learn on. You can raise up on the pegs for unavoidable bumps and curbs. My 883 had forwards, always wanted to swing wide on corners, I'd have to be firm with it to track where I wanted it. Put mids on for my daughter, and had completely different steering, just think about it and that's where it'd go, no more manhandling it. I did do one other change at the same time that helped the handling, too - tires...

I replaced the stock Dunlops with Avon Venoms along with the mid peg change. No more wandering and wiggling on tar strips and cracks in the road. The 1200C has a 21" skinny front tire, and was the worst wiggler I ever rode. Put Avon Cobras on that one, cured it. If you get a used bike, check the tire manufacture date on the sidewall; over 5 years old, especially when mounted that long, the rubber is hardening and you're losing traction, even if the tread looks good.

2004 and up have rubber mounted engines. I endeared my 883 with the nickname "paint mixer", but it isn't quite that bad, more like, is that a Prius or a semi in the mirror? You can tell it's a Prius at 80mph with the rubber mount 1200. I get 4-5 mpg better with the 1200, but that varies among bikes and riders, don't count on it.

I think all stock sporty seats are instruments of torture. I tried a Sundowner, actually fit me even worse, and now have Harley "Pillow Look" seats on both. I'm a big guy, but my daughter likes them way better, too, and she's about half my weight. Here's her first Harley ride, getting the treatment from Daddy: push that button, pull that lever, step there, push that other button, please don't drop my Harley...

Maybe irrelevant for this thread, but did I ever grind the boards on the Glide trying to keep up with her on corners... should have been on the 1200!
You'll probably find out about that...

Old 02-15-2014, 11:50 AM
marvincbr
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Madnss
Buy a cheap 883. Buying a new bike for a new rider is ignorant. It's about riding the dam thing not what it looks like, especially for a newbie. You can pick up a rubber mount 883 for 3500 or buy her a 1200 3500 to 4000 grand. An 883 will not hang with a 1200 unless internal work is done.

Honestly, who buys a brand new bike when you first start out. If she doesn't like riding after a year you'll loose your *** on the bike.

Posers buy new bikes for new riders.
While I understand this is your opinion and I appreciate your input, I don't think our decision to buy a bike new or not was solely based on looks. It is about riding, very true. I have been riding since I was 10, I can't get enough. My wife will be a new rider and one of the factors of a bike for her will be reliability. A new bike offers a warranty, and piece of mind not worrying about some others mechanical ability. We have not ruled out purchasing a used bike by any means, that was the reason for the questions in my original post. We are looking for a sportster, if we purchase new, that by no means makes us or her a poser. If she doesn't like riding after a year, I have a new sporty to ride. No lost *** there....

Old 02-15-2014, 12:26 PM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by marvincbr
If she doesn't like riding after a year, I have a new sporty to ride. No lost *** there....
Doesn't get much better than having a big twin tourer and a sporty. Guess I'd recommend a 1200 after all - you'll enjoy it more.

Old 02-15-2014, 12:42 PM
Sailrider 1
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by marvincbr
While I understand this is your opinion and I appreciate your input, I don't think our decision to buy a bike new or not was solely based on looks. It is about riding, very true. I have been riding since I was 10, I can't get enough. My wife will be a new rider and one of the factors of a bike for her will be reliability. A new bike offers a warranty, and piece of mind not worrying about some others mechanical ability. We have not ruled out purchasing a used bike by any means, that was the reason for the questions in my original post. We are looking for a sportster, if we purchase new, that by no means makes us or her a poser. If she doesn't like riding after a year, I have a new sporty to ride. No lost *** there....
I agree with you. My wife's first bike was a new 2010 Honda phantom 750. She rode it for a year, far from a poser she put nearly 10k miles on it that first year. Traded it in for a brand new 2011 Street glide. She rode that one for a year, put 8000 miles on that one. Would have been more but she tore her Achilles' tendon so she only rode about 8 months that year. She missed the sportiness and flick ability of her Honda Phantom, so she traded the street glide for a brand new 2012 Sportster 1200 custom. She has nearly 20K on that sportster, including a round trip from Atlanta to Devils tower Wyoming last year. She couldn't be happier with her choice of bikes. She is a serious rider, far from a poser.

My wife was always more comfortable on a new bike, it gave her confidence and that is what a new rider needs.

Old 02-15-2014, 05:03 PM
marvincbr
Road Warrior

Thank you all for your responses. Those were the kinds of things I was looking for, rubber mounted, mid vs. forward controls, 883 or 1200. We still have some time before she learns how to ride and to purchase a bike, we're in the Chicago burbs our riding season doesn't start for a couple of months..

Old 02-15-2014, 05:14 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Owned a 05 XL1200C and now ride/own 03 XL1200S...here are a few things to ponder:

1. The 1200 is peppy so make sure your wife's ready to handle the bigger motor. I believe the 883 will be fine (JMO).

2. Go with the rubber-mount (i.e. 04+ model), unless she likes the vibration.

3. Stick with mid-controls, they're easier to learn on and you can always add hwy pegs later, or convert to fwd's.

4. Get a comfy seat...wanna keep the OL's a$$ comfy (for both of you).

5. You're not a poser for wanting new bike.

Enjoy shopping and your new riding partner.

Old 02-15-2014, 05:20 PM
humpbackbob
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know she wants a sportster but quite honestly they are not the easiest Harley for a new rider...certainly not the girly bike often claimed. If finances are not at the forefront she might want to check out a FLSTN Deluxe. Very forgiving and confidence inspiring bikes.......and you will be able to keep up to!

Old 02-15-2014, 05:39 PM
marvincbr
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by humpbackbob
I know she wants a sportster but quite honestly they are not the easiest Harley for a new rider...certainly not the girly bike often claimed. If finances are not at the forefront she might want to check out a FLSTN Deluxe. Very forgiving and confidence inspiring bikes.......and you will be able to keep up to!
We were at a local dealer today where she did throw a leg over a Deluxe. She liked it and thought it was comfortable, she really like the foot boards as opposed to pegs. While it did seem to fit her well, flat footed when seated, bars had a nice feel and the seat was nice and low. We were thinking it might be too much bike to start on. She also sat on a Switchback, a couple of Dynas and even jumped on a Street Glide.

Old 02-15-2014, 06:04 PM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by humpbackbob
I wasn't going to bring that up, but I agree with it, my Glide feels more stable and easy to handle than the sporties, just can't get as carried away on it. My daughter loves the Harleys, but after struggling with the clutch on the 883 and dropping it once (as it came to a stop, little damage, no injury), got her a Honda Nighthawk 250 for $800 - a good drop on the Harley could be more than that. She had more confidence on the little bike, should be able to handle the sporty ok this summer.

Last edited by Imold; 02-15-2014 at 06:06 PM.
Old 02-15-2014, 06:16 PM
bikergal
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I test rode both the 883 and the 1200 a couple weeks ago. I found the 883 too slow for me. Felt like I needed more power. I think for a new rider it would be okay though. Keep in mind you will probably want to upgrade pretty quickly though. The 1200 is a lot of bike for a new rider and has some pep to it. It might scare her or she might be okay with it.

As others have said. Maybe a used bike is a good idea until she gets some practice in. Then you can spend some $$$ on a new Harley. Who knows, she may not enjoy riding as much as she thought she would. Hope this helps.