Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

valve tapping loudly

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 07:13 PM
hywy2hl
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default valve tapping loudly

Well, no one wanted to answer me in another section so I guess I'll ask my sportster comrades.

Is it normal to hear the valves tapping loudly?
I had SEII's on before and I just changed to the V&H shortshots. It seems much louder than before. It's seems like the noise is coming from the head not the back end of pipes. Otherwise, the pipes sound REALLY good. One other note, I didn't realize that I had to change out the gaskets so after hearing the noise and some popping from pipes I bought the gaskets. I put one on, and have not been able to do the other one as of yet. So maybe this is still my problem?

Leigh

Old 03-20-2007, 07:22 PM
wesd41
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: valve tapping loudly

Yeah, could be. Change out the other gasket, torque both exhaust flanges properly, then see if it is still so loud. Since it got louder after the pipe change, I'm willing to bet the gasket is your problem.

Old 03-20-2007, 07:35 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

ORIGINAL: hywy2hl

Well, no one wanted to answer me in another section so I guess I'll ask my sportster comrades.

Is it normal to hear the valves tapping loudly?
I had SEII's on before and I just changed to the V&H shortshots. It seems much louder than before. It's seems like the noise is coming from the head not the back end of pipes. Otherwise, the pipes sound REALLY good. One other note, I didn't realize that I had to change out the gaskets so after hearing the noise and some popping from pipes I bought the gaskets. I put one on, and have not been able to do the other one as of yet. So maybe this is still my problem?

Leigh

Could be. A leaking gasket can make a tapping like sound. Finish the pipe change (gaskets) then see what you have.

Old 03-20-2007, 08:09 PM
hywy2hl
Cruiser

Thanks for responding and the input. It helps to hear others say this too.
I went to the HD dealership and all they said was "you should just get it dyno'd" I thought oh nice. He sees a woman asking a question and thinks he can just blow me off with a standard "don't waste my time bitch" answer. Whatever...My money won't be spent there when I need anything done.

Anyway....I also think I should pop out the plug to find the air/fuel mixture at the carb. A carb adjustment might help it too.

Old 03-20-2007, 08:15 PM
cHarley
Club Member

I went to the HD dealership and all they said was "you should just get it dyno'd" I thought oh nice. He sees a woman asking a question and thinks he can just blow me off with a standard "don't waste my time bitch" answer. Whatever...My money won't be spent there when I need anything done.

Anyway....I also think I should pop out the plug to find the air/fuel mixture at the carb. A carb adjustment might help it too.

If it were my bike I would address the first problem first. Don't start screwing with the carb and compound the problem.

Old 03-20-2007, 08:21 PM
hywy2hl
Cruiser

yeah...
I'll keep that in mind when I'm "screwing with my carb"

[sm=WTFsgign.gif]

Old 03-20-2007, 08:36 PM
cHarley
Club Member

[sm=ttiwwp.gif]

Old 03-20-2007, 08:37 PM
markdt
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It could also be that the sound was there before and the different pipes masked the sound. I know that when I run drags it sounds a lot louder.When I put the slip ons back on the exhaust note gets deeper and the lifter sound gets quieter. I put N4 cams in and it did make more lifter noise, I am sure it is not the valves but the lifters that you are hearing. When in doubt change your oil... Mark...

Old 03-20-2007, 09:48 PM
WarriorHD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

HMMMM....That sounds kinda personal

yeah...
I'll keep that in mind when I'm "screwing with my carb"

[sm=WTFsgign.gif]

Old 03-20-2007, 10:32 PM
wesd41
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry, didn't realize you are a woman. You should just get it dyno'd.

I'M KIDDING!
But as was mentioned, before you tear into the carb, do the gasket swap. An exhaust gasket that isn't sealing can cause the popping, as can a lean mixture. But if your gasket isn't sealing, you'll spend a lot of time chasing your tail trying to eliminate the popping by rejetting your carb, if you can get it set up properly with a leaking gasket.

Quick Reply: valve tapping loudly