Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help please

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 10:02 PM
Pmosh
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help please

I just installed on my 14' 48 the the dk custom tank lift, coil relocation with the f6 option. One the plug wire seemed a little bent at the buttom. When it was all said and done the bike would not turn over. The lights worked, I could here the injectors prepping but when I pushed the starter button it would not do a single thing. What could be wrong. At first I thought it was the plug wires, so I put the originals on. Same thing. I'm thinking the coil went bad or I'm I missing something in the steps somewhere. All help is appreciated.

Old 02-13-2014, 01:03 AM
Sweforty8
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you disconnect the fuel line from the tank when your raised it or took it off to do the tuck? Maybe you forgot to put it back (done that myself ).

Old 02-13-2014, 07:59 AM
run1fsr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts

Did you check your ignition / kill switch?

Old 02-13-2014, 08:24 AM
Sweforty8
Road Captain

Can be a number of things if you haven't been careful with wires. But always try and rule out the easy stuff first.

Make sure that all the connectors that you unplugged are plugged back properly.

Unless you haven't cut any wires and/or haven't pulled on them too hard and just unplugged the connectors it seems strange that your bike won't fire up!

Btw, might sound stupid but, if you've had the ignition on and you've moved the bike around to much it will kill the power (thats the immobilizer) so you can't start it.

Old 02-13-2014, 09:14 AM
Pmosh
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Sweforty8
Can be a number of things if you haven't been careful with wires. But always try and rule out the easy stuff first.

Make sure that all the connectors that you unplugged are plugged back properly.

Unless you haven't cut any wires and/or haven't pulled on them too hard and just unplugged the connectors it seems strange that your bike won't fire up!

Btw, might sound stupid but, if you've had the ignition on and you've moved the bike around to much it will kill the power (thats the immobilizer) so you can't start it.

That immobolizer might be it but how do I reset it. I know for sure the ignition was off, the switch was turned to off, and the fuse was pulled out. What else was I missing?

Old 02-13-2014, 09:18 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,999 Likes on 4,190 Posts

It's not the bank angle switch. One key off/on resets it. Nothing you mentioned above would keep it from cranking. Maybe not starting but not cranking. If the fuel pump primed, the on/off on the bars is on. What is F6 option? If you have a DC/OHM meter meter ($10 from Harbour Freight will do) what is the voltage reading on your battery. Should be about 12.8 DC , 12.3 is almost a dead battery for kicking in the solenoid to engage starter.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 02-13-2014 at 09:25 AM.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:46 AM
Pmosh
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
It's not the bank angle switch. One key off/on resets it. Nothing you mentioned above would keep it from cranking. Maybe not starting but not cranking. If the fuel pump primed, the on/off on the bars is on. What is F6 option? If you have a DC/OHM meter meter ($10 from Harbour Freight will do) what is the voltage reading on your battery. Should be about 12.8 DC , 12.3 is almost a dead battery for kicking in the solenoid to engage starter.
I will definelty check the battery. But the lights are on and the injectors do prime. The F6 option is relocating the key switch to the left side of the scoot, next to the battery cover

Old 02-13-2014, 09:49 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Go through the blindingly obvious stuff first, including being in neutral. If no joy, then very carefully work your way through all the stuff you disturbed. Don't get distracted by guessing what else may have gone wrong. The harsh reality is that a simple, possibly silly thing is not quite right, or has been disturbed, following the mods you have just done.

Old 02-13-2014, 10:28 AM
Sweforty8
Road Captain

The F6 option mounts to the batteri ground bolt on the right side behind the cylinder.

Old 02-13-2014, 10:41 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,999 Likes on 4,190 Posts

My guess is F6. Be careful, if you have 6 reverse gears when it starts, cut the red wire!?

Quick Reply: Help please