Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley isn't king here!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 11:17 PM
twisty571
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Harley isn't king here!

ORIGINAL: harleyjammer1200

ORIGINAL: wbogley

Harley needs to do more to get younger people to ride their brand. I think one of the reasons young people also choose metrics is they cost a good amount less. You can buy used sport bikes very very cheap. I asked my dealer about the type of people they see one day. He said they have two types. People that love to ride bikes and people that want to be seen on a bike. He said they sell so many bikes to people with mid life problems that want a "garage ordainment". He said he cant believe how many people buy a bike and never ride it or want to sell it the following week.

I agree with all of that, but even though metrics are cheaper, it actually WAAAYY easier to get financing for an HD than it is any other motorcycle....that is unless the metric dealership just happens to use Eaglemark as their primary finance co. (I've seen that before in Fort Worth, TX in a Suzuki dealer) So what else keeps the younger crowd buying metrics? [sm=confused06.gif]
Actually that depends,here in Morgantown it's easier to get a metric,Triple S only uses Harley to finance,I having no credit or bills,couldn't get nothing but went straight to Honda and got a Shadow! 9 months later I have 2 Harleys and no Honda. I have to say that there is5(2 being rockets)metrics &8 HD'sin my 100 house patch and I see more HD's since the weather broke and there are 5 Duece daily riders & 3 Sporty riders(including myself) 2 HD baggers & 3 rockets & 3metric'sI see daily while riding around for work in MorgantownI can break em down farther if need be[&:]what can I say I'm addicted to bikes now

Old 03-20-2007, 11:37 PM
Fr3shFr0st
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im only 18 and plan on buying my first bike in the next few weeks. i was going to get a Yamaha FZ6 becasue it looked pretty nice and only cost $6600 new before tags and taxes. but i looked through the HD website and noticed if i worked my *** off jsut a little more this summer then i could afford a Harley. i am getting a 2007 Sportster 883R. the Yamaha looked nice but the main reason i was attracted to it was its price. everyone around my town drives foreign bikes and crotch rockets, i mean yeah they are fast but they abuse them so much. i cant tell you how many times i have been passed doing 80 on a high way by a group of crotch rockets going at least 130mph weaving in and out of cars. the only people around me that own Harleys are older men and i have a lot of respect for them. all my friends questioned me as to why i am getting a Harley instead of a crotch rocket, and i guess its just the respect adn the community following of the brand. its incredible. also the build quality is great and the sound of that Harley V-Twin always puts a smile on my face. i cant wait to get my bike. anyway, i have to admit Harleys arent too popular with kids my age. besides me[8D]

Old 03-21-2007, 12:05 AM
Dr.Cool
Banned

I am in Milwaukee... its not that way. Harleys far outnumber metrics

Old 03-21-2007, 02:03 AM
jalopy
Cruiser

There are a lot of all of them around here in Dallas. Other than a couple of my friends and I, there aren't many of the younger people on Harley's that I know of.

Old 03-21-2007, 03:09 AM
XL1200N
Road Master

It's a mix around here, but the good thing is that we have a ton of bikes in this town. Seems to make people a little more aware of them when there everywhere. I still rideas ifknow body see me though.

Young people Sport bikes, 35 and up Harley's.

Brian

Old 03-21-2007, 10:23 AM
TXjammer
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: twisty571

ORIGINAL: harleyjammer1200

ORIGINAL: wbogley

Harley needs to do more to get younger people to ride their brand. I think one of the reasons young people also choose metrics is they cost a good amount less. You can buy used sport bikes very very cheap. I asked my dealer about the type of people they see one day. He said they have two types. People that love to ride bikes and people that want to be seen on a bike. He said they sell so many bikes to people with mid life problems that want a "garage ordainment". He said he cant believe how many people buy a bike and never ride it or want to sell it the following week.

I agree with all of that, but even though metrics are cheaper, it actually WAAAYY easier to get financing for an HD than it is any other motorcycle....that is unless the metric dealership just happens to use Eaglemark as their primary finance co. (I've seen that before in Fort Worth, TX in a Suzuki dealer) So what else keeps the younger crowd buying metrics? [sm=confused06.gif]
Actually that depends,here in Morgantown it's easier to get a metric,Triple S only uses Harley to finance,I having no credit or bills,couldn't get nothing but went straight to Honda and got a Shadow! 9 months later I have 2 Harleys and no Honda. I have to say that there is5(2 being rockets)metrics &8 HD'sin my 100 house patch and I see more HD's since the weather broke and there are 5 Duece daily riders & 3 Sporty riders(including myself) 2 HD baggers & 3 rockets & 3metric'sI see daily while riding around for work in MorgantownI can break em down farther if need be[&:]what can I say I'm addicted to bikes now
Wow, for the longesttime, I thought that was pretty rare. But you'rethe second person to tell me the same thing....guess the story is changing, and Eaglemark (Harley Davidson Credit) has figured out how to eat alot of grass on both sides of the fence. Hey! nuttin wrong with making money as long as its honest!

Old 03-21-2007, 10:42 AM
badbs101
Road Master

ORIGINAL: dsuppa

Yea that's definetly true, here in NJ about 80% of the carsI see on the road are Honda, Toyota or Nissans, but whenI got out to STL to visit family I'm suprised if I see 1 or 2 a day everyone out there drives Ford and Chevy.
Try Michigan. Everyone drives a big US made car there, everyone.

Old 03-21-2007, 10:46 AM
badbs101
Road Master

Just got back from Phoenix and here's what I noticed. Lots of Harleys and a fairly large number of dual-sport bikes. It makes sense considering the desert climate and terrain around Phoenix. Dual sport bikes are pretty rare around here.

I personally would love to have a dual-sport and a Harley as the dual sports are really fun to ride. I used to have a XT350 but sold it to finance my HD. No regrets.