Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley isn't king here!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 12:23 PM
rob i
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Harley isn't king here!

I live in Londonderry, Nh and I have to say that Harley is definately King in my neighborhood. I would estimate about 95% of the bikes I see are Harleys. 80% of those are bat winged tourers.

Rob

Old 03-20-2007, 12:45 PM
TXjammer
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: wbogley

Harley needs to do more to get younger people to ride their brand. I think one of the reasons young people also choose metrics is they cost a good amount less. You can buy used sport bikes very very cheap. I asked my dealer about the type of people they see one day. He said they have two types. People that love to ride bikes and people that want to be seen on a bike. He said they sell so many bikes to people with mid life problems that want a "garage ordainment". He said he cant believe how many people buy a bike and never ride it or want to sell it the following week.

I agree with all of that, but even though metrics are cheaper, it actually WAAAYY easier to get financing for an HD than it is any other motorcycle....that is unless the metric dealership just happens to use Eaglemark as their primary finance co. (I've seen that before in Fort Worth, TX in a Suzuki dealer) So what else keeps the younger crowd buying metrics? [sm=confused06.gif]

Old 03-20-2007, 01:04 PM
brauny1
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live Just North of SLC, Ut. Sunday was our 'Polar Bear Ride', No shortage of Harley's. In fact that's where most were,I'm sure that's why you didn't see any. It's a hugeride, several thousand,sponsored by most local MC groups and ended up in Davis County (between SLC and Ogden). Besides, Provo is the Valleyof Saints, Behind the ZION Curtain or Happy Valley as we call it.

Old 03-20-2007, 02:25 PM
ride2tires
Road Master

ORIGINAL: dbleagle

Probably against their religion or something...

Charlie D.
and if it is a religion thing..... does that mean you can have more than one bike and they don't get jealous of eachother?? herom-o-bikes.... I like the sounds of that!!!!!!

Old 03-20-2007, 03:56 PM
dhc8guru
Tourer

The higher price of a Harley is a major factor. I lived in Denverand you would see more metric sportbikes (atleast to me)then any other type of bike. Its the twisty roads in the mountains boosting people to by sportbikes.

Old 03-20-2007, 05:25 PM
dsuppa
Road Captain

I think most younger people buy sport bikes not because of cost, but because they generally like sport bikes for a few reason: speed, stunts, and a$$. You go down tothe Jersey Shoreon your Sportster the girls in the 18-24 rangeare not flocking toyou, they are always gonna go after the guy on the sportbike ripping wheelies down the strip, or the guy on his Custom Chopper.

I am a little different from the norm I always wanted a cruiser, didn't really have any interest in sport bikes. All my friends ride sport bikes and I'm on my sporty just chillin.

To each his own.

Old 03-20-2007, 06:34 PM
68B_Body
6th Gear

i went to eureka springs arkansas last sunday and noticed the same thing there probably was 5 metrics for every1 harley. the group i was riding with was with 4 others and they were on metrics. i felt like the odd ball with the only HD bike.

Old 03-20-2007, 06:50 PM
jwb47
Road Warrior

thats odd because here insouthern illinois I see more younger people getting into harleys and wonder how in the hell they can afford one. maybe its because of all the meth production.

Old 03-20-2007, 09:07 PM
thomasf59
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wife works for a large cereal co she says all the young guys ride metrics, older dudes Harleys.

Tom

Old 03-20-2007, 09:45 PM
WarriorHD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It appears down here in FL, Greater Tampa Bay, Clearwater, St Petersburg area, Harley is King. Hands down......Second in line would be sport bikes.....

Quick Reply: Harley isn't king here!