Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to buy an Iron 883- please help

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 02:55 AM
Inkarnetion
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to buy an Iron 883- please help

Hello, I'm Phani and am looking to join the HD community. I'm 25, 5'5" and 150 lbs. I have been riding for 5 years. My first bike was a virago 250 which I outgrew in about 3 months before riding a Ducati Monster 696 for a couple years. After that I got a Honda CBR 600RR and rode that for two years. I love sportbikes and I loved my 250cc cruiser. I came a cross what I consider to be a good deal on a 2011 Iron 883 with 5k miles, screaming eagle exhaust in 9/10 condition.

I absolutely loved the look of the bike when I checked it out in person, the guy wouldn't let me test ride it without money in hand so I am stuck. I would describe myself as a safe and experienced rider who can get a little throttle happy at times. After reading for a while, I am doubtful of the bike's power. I will use it to go around the city which involves getting on the highway.

The question for you guys (since I can't ride the iron 883 myself, for now) is:
Will the bike be to "slow" for me?
Will I find myself to be constantly wanting a "bit more?"
Will the change in ride and handling from a sportbike be too drastic for a person of my history?

Also, if the bike has 5k miles, is it coming up on service? How much will that be? Is it required? Do I have to take it to HD or can I take it to someone I know? Is it a good deal?

Thanks for reading and please help me out. I would love for you guys to quell my fears and me joining this community for some time to come.

Old 01-28-2014, 06:05 AM
Rog48
Elite HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Your honda is half the weight and 3 times the horsepower...................yes you will be disappointed.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:13 AM
triumph900
Road Captain
Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

What are you looking for/expecting from the Iron? As mentioned it's way down on power and way up on weight compared to what you're ridding. You need to ride an Iron, either at a dealer or bring some cash for the used bike and try it before you buy. I'm twice your age and I like my Iron, but it's not my only bike and I understand and accept what it is and it's limitations. Irons are great bikes and a lot of fun, but make sure you know what your getting into.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:44 AM
wideopen4life
Tourer

Curious what the price tag is? I just picked one of these up and gave it to my girlfriend for christmas.

Old 01-28-2014, 09:24 AM
HarleyQC
Cruiser

Hi, if you have fun with your honda (performance - handling - braking) you may be bored with the Harley unless you make several modifications to it. I rode sport bikes until i was 58 years old, the last one was a Hayabusa that i sold before losing my license. I decided that it was time for me to turn to something more relaxed and comfortable and bought a RK. You must try the Harley and take your decision then.

Old 01-28-2014, 12:03 PM
vizcarmb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 531 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by Inkarnetion
The question for you guys (since I can't ride the iron 883 myself, for now) is:
Will the bike be to "slow" for me?
Will I find myself to be constantly wanting a "bit more?"
Will the change in ride and handling from a sportbike be too drastic for a person of my history?

Thanks for reading and please help me out. I would love for you guys to quell my fears and me joining this community for some time to come.

1 and 2 Yes but you will wring the crap out of it.
3. The Iron has mid controls and a more forward handlebars so maybe?

Old 01-28-2014, 03:34 PM
okiesho
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Sounds like you purchasing the bike isn't an option anyway until you get the cash together. Go to your local Harley Dealership and test ride a few bikes this spring. Then you should be able to decide.

Old 01-28-2014, 03:49 PM
Inkarnetion
Stage II

Originally Posted by wideopen4life
Curious what the price tag is? I just picked one of these up and gave it to my girlfriend for christmas.
I'm getting it for $5k.

I'll have the cash for it on the 1st and will have to wait until then to buy if I do. I wanted to get a response from you guys before I invested more time in something that might not be for me.

Old 01-28-2014, 04:21 PM
DK Custom Products
Sponsor
Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Like everyone has said, really the only way to know is to test ride one. Until then, its really going to be other people guessing at what you may like.

Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 01-28-2014, 04:53 PM
HarleyScuba
Elite HDF Member
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

Don't buy it.

Quick Reply: Looking to buy an Iron 883- please help