Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DK breather bolts

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2014 | 12:30 AM
Sliver1
|
Cruiser
Default DK breather bolts

Hey all, I just wanted to chime in with some proper respect for DK customs, I got some breather bolts from them for my 48 and the install was easy peazy. Question on the back end. After 45 minutes of riding, I saw at idle, white smoke coming out of the bolts. Is this a, "no sh** Sherlock" question because well, duhhh, the engine is breathing or, is there more to it. I noticed it today and once I got home, I got off of the bike, let it run and saw definatively that the smoke was coming from the bolts and not the air cleaner. I turned off the bike and once off, I saw some oil mist spurt out of the screen. Just checking to see if this is normal or if I need to do something to correct or keep a bigger issue at bay.

Old 01-25-2014 | 12:56 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by Sliver1
Hey all, I just wanted to chime in with some proper respect for DK customs, I got some breather bolts from them for my 48 and the install was easy peazy. Question on the back end. After 45 minutes of riding, I saw at idle, white smoke coming out of the bolts. Is this a, "no sh** Sherlock" question because well, duhhh, the engine is breathing or, is there more to it. I noticed it today and once I got home, I got off of the bike, let it run and saw definatively that the smoke was coming from the bolts and not the air cleaner. I turned off the bike and once off, I saw some oil mist spurt out of the screen. Just checking to see if this is normal or if I need to do something to correct or keep a bigger issue at bay.
Thank you for the kind words!

What you describe is no big issue, but there are a few things you can do/check.

There is space between the umbrella valves and the breather bolts. It is not unusual for condensation to form in there and when the bike gets hot to burn off as white smoke. Also, if there is water built up in your oil, then this is the natural spot for that burn off to exit.

You should not be seeing oil mist spurt out the screen. There are a couple of things to do.

1. Check to make sure your oil level is per the manual.

2. Check to make sure your oil viscosity is per the manual.

3. Read this link for above 2 points and more-

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/oil-r...f-my-bike.html

4. If you still have the instructions that came with the Breather Bolts, you can install the extra set of foam filters to give a bit more absorption for the oil so little or no misting is exiting. If you don't still have the instructions, email us at the addy below and we'll send you a PDF of them.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 01-29-2014 | 10:33 AM
Schwann
Advanced

I was wondering if these bolts can be used on Figure Machine's XL Flow-C or other type of heavy breather snorkle type air cleaners? I know they have through bolts that put the blow by back into the engine but would like to avoid that if possible. What say you DK Customs?

Old 01-29-2014 | 11:33 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by Schwann
I was wondering if these bolts can be used on Figure Machine's XL Flow-C or other type of heavy breather snorkle type air cleaners? I know they have through bolts that put the blow by back into the engine but would like to avoid that if possible. What say you DK Customs?
With the Figure Machine air cleaners you can use the 3/4" and thread them thru the backplate and into the stand-offs.

You can also get rid of the stand-offs and run the 2" breather bolts thru the backplate and into the head.

The stand-offs are the same thread as the heads, so using the 3/4" Breather bolts with the stand-offs is a cleaner look, and the 2" is not necessary, but would give a more "industrial" look. They will work the same either way.