Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reverse Mount Mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 11:57 PM
Bengalman
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Reverse Mount Mirrors

Hey all, first time posting in a while. I'm going to be getting an 06 sporty 1200 soon and was thinking about reverse mounting the mirrors to give it a little more custom look, plus I think that they look wicked. Just wondering how big of an undertaking it'd be and if anyone else has done, if so, I'd love to see some pics!

Old 01-22-2014, 11:59 PM
Bengalman
Advanced

Also, I'm around 6'1, would my legs create a huge blind spot?

Old 01-23-2014, 01:29 AM
misput
Tourer
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Bengalman
Also, I'm around 6'1, would my legs create a huge blind spot?
Just take them off and switch sides. Tricky part is getting them set right afterwards. You may have to loosen and rotate your controls to line them up where you can see. I am 6' with wide shoulders and I can see much better with them on the bottom as I am not trying to see around my shoulders now. There might be some pull back bars that will make it impossible to adjust them properly on the bottom. Try it and see, not a big deal at all, just takes some time. If you try it and have trouble just post and I will try to give more detail.

Old 01-23-2014, 06:45 AM
JaySwear
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the indicators are already relocated then it'll take you all of 15 minutes from taking them off to riding. If they HAVEN'T been relocated it'll be more of an undertaking. There's a kit and the damn bolts in the tree are really hard to get out...

Old 01-23-2014, 07:26 AM
ib5150
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

it really depends on the receivers, if they have a plug on the bottom - take the plug out and reverse it to the top then screw the mirrors in from the bottom, the left mirror becomes the right mirror and right -left. The receiver needs to go all the way through (if they don't you can flip them).

On adjustment leave the adjustment screw semi-snug - turn the handlebars to the left and make sure you have no more or less than one finger gap between the tank and the mirror, repeat for the right side. I have found a short to medium mirror steam works far better than a long steam.

Old 01-23-2014, 10:47 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

It will only take a few minutes to try them and find out if you like them! Over the years there has been a trickle of bikes with novel stock locations for the mirrors, but the majority of bikes stick with what works. This is probably the easiest personalised change any of us can make.

Old 01-23-2014, 12:01 PM
Bengalman
Advanced

Alright, I'll have to check it out and try it once I get my bike. Thanks everyone for the replies and such. If anyone has pictures, I'd still like to see them!

Old 01-23-2014, 12:46 PM
blackknight883
Tourer

I flipped the mirrors on my Iron. Super easy. Way better visibility.

Old 01-23-2014, 01:28 PM
Bengalman
Advanced

I love the look, and from what I've read, most people agree that they're more useful with an under-mount. Hopefully, I'll have my bike soon, just gotta talk to some people and go get it! It's still cold as a witch's tit around here, so I'll have some time to play around with the look before actually getting to ride. I'll probably take it out as soon as it gets above 40 degrees lmao

Old 01-23-2014, 03:06 PM
tgrey
Advanced

If you have a 1200 custom with a 4.5g tank, they won't fit right upside-down. Well... they will technically fit, but turning your wheel fully bangs the mirrors into your tank. Cuts down on your turning and will possibly scratch/dent the mirror/tank.

Quick Reply: Reverse Mount Mirrors