Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reverse Mount Mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 05:57 AM
c0jones
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Genosuke
I did it on mine and it's fine, but I have a smaller tank. My Dad did it on his old 1200C and while it did clear the tank on full lock....it didn't leave much room for adjustment. Best thing, just try it and see.
How old is that 1200C? Before 2004 they didn't have 4.5gal tank.

Old 02-26-2014, 12:23 PM
Genosuke
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tgrey
Any changes to the stock bars or riser? Also what mirrors was he using (stock, short stem, long stem)? I really wanted to do this, and was disappointed it wouldn't work.
On mine at the time I was running 32" drag bars with the stock risers (1" I think). I've kept them flipped and I've now got RSD clip ons....Nightster does give you a bit of extra room though. My Dad's was the 110th Anniversary with the stock mirrors and bars. It was damn close and you'll be limited with adjustment angle but, he and I are only 5'8 so it was ok. If you've got big ol' legs it might be a problem seeing past them....give it a try. Only takes two minutes.

Old 02-26-2014, 12:45 PM
tgrey
Advanced

On mine at the time I was running 32" drag bars with the stock risers (1" I think). I've kept them flipped and I've now got RSD clip ons....Nightster does give you a bit of extra room though. My Dad's was the 110th Anniversary with the stock mirrors and bars. It was damn close and you'll be limited with adjustment angle but, he and I are only 5'8 so it was ok. If you've got big ol' legs it might be a problem seeing past them....give it a try. Only takes two minutes.
I did try! That's why I'm so curious why it supposedly worked for some people but not for me. As I said before: "I tried fitting the black short stem mirrors and the stock 1200c mirrors (slightly longer stem). I can guarantee neither fit my bike (2014 1200c with stock riser and bars)."

Drag bars don't come as far as the pullbacks either... which might contribute to it fitting. Also, I'm pretty sure the nightster didn't have a 4.5g tank... pretty sure it's a 3.3g.

Old 02-26-2014, 02:00 PM
Genosuke
6th Gear

Ah sorry, didn't realise you'd already tried. That's so weird they don't fit. Do the mirrors just hit the tank on lock then? Even after adjusting the heads? Did you try adjusting the angle as well as the head? If you have and still have no luck, my Dads was a 2013 ......maybe it has slightly shorter stalks? Can't imagine it though. He traded it in for a Wide Glide and the dealer's not picking it up until tomorrow so I'll go over and flip the mirrors and take a photo for you.

Old 02-26-2014, 02:15 PM
tgrey
Advanced

Ah sorry, didn't realise you'd already tried. That's so weird they don't fit. Do the mirrors just hit the tank on lock then? Even after adjusting the heads? Did you try adjusting the angle as well as the head? If you have and still have no luck, my Dads was a 2013 ......maybe it has slightly shorter stalks? Can't imagine it though. He traded it in for a Wide Glide and the dealer's not picking it up until tomorrow so I'll go over and flip the mirrors and take a photo for you.
Yeah, it really only seemed like a problem at full lock (parked)... it would probably fit for most riding. I tried twice, once when I first got the bike, and again when I was installing the short stem black mirrors. I didn't spend too much time messing with it, but it didn't look like it'd fit no matter how I shifted them.

It's chilly today so I probably won't ride... maybe I'll try again.

Old 02-26-2014, 02:27 PM
Johhny51273
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I just flipped the stock mirrors on my 2013 1200c a couple of weeks ago and it worked just fine. Not to mention it improves the overall lines of the bike IMO. The mirrors are more user friendly as my shoulders are no longer in the way. I flipped stock mirrors and have the 4.5 gallon tank with plenty of clearance. You may have to adjust the angle of the stem to gain proper clearance. The stock pullback riser and stock pullback bars are still on the bike.

Attached Thumbnails Reverse Mount Mirrors-image-3637853628.jpg   Reverse Mount Mirrors-image-1911459284.jpg  
Old 02-26-2014, 02:32 PM
tgrey
Advanced

Originally Posted by Johhny51273
I just flipped the stock mirrors on my 2013 1200c a couple of weeks ago and it worked just fine. Not to mention it improves the overall lines of the bike IMO. The mirrors are more user friendly as my shoulders are no longer in the way. I flipped stock mirrors and have the 4.5 gallon tank with plenty of clearance. You may have to adjust the angle of the stem to gain proper clearance. The stock pullback riser and stock pullback bars are still on the bike.
Thanks for the info, I will definitely try this again then. My bike is a 2014, tho from what I understood there shouldn't be any change to the riser/bars between 13 and 14.

Old 02-26-2014, 02:45 PM
Genosuke
6th Gear

Ok, just went and flipped the mirrors again and it's definitely fine mate. As Johhny said, you have to play with the stem angle but it should be fine. I took some pics so you can see the angle.... <iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://s562.photobucket.com/user/Gojugaijin/embed/slideshow/Mobile%20Uploads"></iframe>
Hope this helps! Oh if that link doesn't work, it might be this one:
http://s562.photobucket.com/user/Goj...bile%20Uploads

Last edited by Genosuke; 02-26-2014 at 02:48 PM. Reason: Added link
Old 02-26-2014, 02:48 PM
tgrey
Advanced

Ok, just went and flipped the mirrors again and it's definitely fine mate. As Johhny said, you have to play with the stem angle but it should be fine. I took some pics so you can see the angle.... <iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://s562.photobucket.com/user/Gojugaijin/embed/slideshow/Mobile%20Uploads"></iframe>
Hope this helps!
Thanks for the effort, I'll definitely take another shot at it. I was doing a bunch of stuff when I last tried (grips, pegs, horn cover, derby cover, etc)... so maybe I wasn't patient enough trying to position them.

Old 02-26-2014, 02:51 PM
Genosuke
6th Gear

No problem buddy

Quick Reply: Reverse Mount Mirrors