Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fuelpak installation on a forty eight 2013

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 08:38 PM
deedz
Intermediate
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Default fuelpak installation on a forty eight 2013

Ok i receive my fuelpak (the clear model). Today watch the video provide by V&H on their website. After a quick look on my bike, I saw that the ecu is not located at the place showed in the installation video...Where is the ecu on the forty eigh? Between the battery and the rear cylinder? Where the **** is the negative pole battery cable? do i have to remove the oil pan?

Please guys if someone have installed a fuelpak on a forty eight, show me the way!

thanks guys?

Old 01-19-2014, 10:49 PM
CajunIron
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On my 13 Iron I removed the seat to access the ECM plugs. The ground is a pain in the ***. There's a few videos on youtube under battery removal. Just remember the fuel pak doesn't power on till the motor is running then you can program it.

Old 01-20-2014, 06:53 AM
creynolds
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

deedz, the feeling is mutual. I also recently received my fuelpak for my 2009 Sportster and the most difficult thing was getting the frickin' battery out. Battery removal instructions on the inside of the battery cover did not help at all. Like you, I kept getting confused as to where things were (like the negative ground, etc.) and started reading the HD service manual for my bike. That's what saved me from having a meltdown. I got the service manual after a couple of projects on the bike and it has been much better with the service manual handy. The V&H video does not apply to the EFI or newer bikes. The ECM connector that you need is the one that is closer to the "tip area" of the seat of the bike (seat should be removed, of course). The fuelpack instructions should have a picture of what you are looking for. No need to take the battery completely out...just disconnect the ground negative (this is a pain unless you have a flexible wrench attachment...not sure of the tool's actual name. But I'm sure it'll work with any standard wrench as long as it has the reach to get deep into the bike) and slide the battery out just enough so you can get to the negative terminal.

Fyi, once I got the fuelpak on, it was a breeze to program. Also, I know folks are divided on the fuelpak and I fully respect everyone's opinion. For right now, I am pleasantly happy with how my bike is handling with the fuelpak on. It runs much cooler and the throttle feels stronger and more steady. All in all, I'm a pretty happy guy riding the Sportster even when temps are in the low 20's.

Take care, all.

Old 01-20-2014, 07:15 AM
Scrambler900
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by creynolds
deedz, the feeling is mutual. I also recently received my fuelpak for my 2009 Sportster and the most difficult thing was getting the frickin' battery out. Battery removal instructions on the inside of the battery cover did not help at all. Like you, I kept getting confused as to where things were (like the negative ground, etc.) and started reading the HD service manual for my bike. That's what saved me from having a meltdown. I got the service manual after a couple of projects on the bike and it has been much better with the service manual handy. The V&H video does not apply to the EFI or newer bikes. The ECM connector that you need is the one that is closer to the "tip area" of the seat of the bike (seat should be removed, of course). The fuelpack instructions should have a picture of what you are looking for. No need to take the battery completely out...just disconnect the ground negative (this is a pain unless you have a flexible wrench attachment...not sure of the tool's actual name. But I'm sure it'll work with any standard wrench as long as it has the reach to get deep into the bike) and slide the battery out just enough so you can get to the negative terminal.

Fyi, once I got the fuelpak on, it was a breeze to program. Also, I know folks are divided on the fuelpak and I fully respect everyone's opinion. For right now, I am pleasantly happy with how my bike is handling with the fuelpak on. It runs much cooler and the throttle feels stronger and more steady. All in all, I'm a pretty happy guy riding the Sportster even when temps are in the low 20's.

Take care, all.
Like he said, the battery is the most difficult until you wrap your head around it. After that it's a breeze.

I too am happy with my Fuelpak. For what these bikes are it works just fine. I think that the guys having issues with them are the ones that are playing with them all the time and thinking they can keep getting more. Is a PCV or Powervision going to make it run better? Probably. I however am not racing my bike and it runs WAY better than it did when it was stock. I work at a European Dealership as the Service Manager so I do have somewhat of a clue how a bike should run, LOL. I have a Ducati track bike anyway that gets most of my money and fine tuning.

Just my .02

Old 01-20-2014, 09:25 AM
deedz
Intermediate
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks a lot for your answer guys! Where is the negative pole cable? is it the one tapped on the interior side of the primary?