Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help please - New Sport Bob style 2" extended tank

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 03:21 PM
Nortonics
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help please - New Sport Bob style 2" extended tank

Posted this on a different HD forum a few days with no responses so far, so thought I'd try here too.

Help!

I need some direction here. I'd like to outfit the wife's stage 2.5 Sport with a new, sleeker tank. Here's a pic of what I'm dealing with (92 XLH):

And here's a pic of what I want to achieve (except in black):

So I can find these tanks all over the Internet, from eBay to regular retailers like J&P Cycle. Bare steel that needs to be pressure tested and properly sealed, phosphate washed, primed, painted and clear coated.

I'll want the newly tooled type of tank, the kind where the 2" extension is part of the tank, and not just welded on (provides about 4 gallons of storage). It appears that a new rubber mounting system is available on these newer tanks too (at least as I read it).

Are any of these tanks better than the other? Generally speaking it's looking like I'll need to spend between $250 and $400 for the bare tank to begin with. How much might I expect to spend to have a local shop finish it (gloss black only)? I'll do the mounting and mechanicals myself. Can you recommend anybody competent here on the Internet that I could have it dropped shipped to to have the work completed?

Any other thoughts or suggestions are welcome. Sure would like to hear any stories of others who have done such a mod.

Old 03-18-2007, 03:51 PM
GothMetalGuitarist
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Help please - New Sport Bob style 2" extended tank

I got mine from Carter Custom Creations on eBay. Michael Carter is not only a great painter but a damn nice guy too. $1000 got me a Front fender, Rear Bobtail fender, and a tank like you are talking about complete with all installation hardware, pressure tested, sealed and ready to go with custom paint. I don't think you can beat that unless you do all the work yourself.

HERES A LINK TO SEE MIKES WORK

Old 03-18-2007, 05:18 PM
Nortonics
Cruiser

Goth,
Thanks so much for that info! Those are some excellent prices for some quality looking work. His feedback has nothing but excellent remarks as well. I will most certainly check in with Michael to see what we might be able to come up with.

A question for you - I can't really tell from your pic or his pics on eBay, but I'm wondering about the model of tank he uses. I see a lot of info on the net about "Sport" style tanks, with different model names applied. From what I can tell a "Sport Bob" is different than a "Fat Bob" - the "Sport"looking slightly sleeker looking with a distinctive tear-drop shape as viewed from the side, just like the tank in my original post - the "Fat" looking a little less sleek, more rounded, and slightly fatter looking. Am I seeing and understanding those differences correctly? If I'm thinking correctly, which style did you get?

If you have any closer pics you could post that would be excellent, but don't worry about it if not.

Thanks again!

Old 03-19-2007, 03:45 PM
mejonesrebel
Cruiser

goth's looks like a sport bob

here is a good link to help understand the differences

http://www.steelthundercc.com/sportstertanks.html

Old 03-19-2007, 05:35 PM
Phantomryder
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like the look Goth, and at a great price. Labor along to pressure test and seal at a stealers is outrageous.

Old 03-19-2007, 08:10 PM
GothMetalGuitarist
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Click on the little camera below my avatar. My gallery is loaded with pix.

Old 04-06-2007, 07:24 AM
Nortonics
Cruiser

Hey Goth, just an update.

Got hold of Michael, went over the plan, and just sent over a payment yesterday. Should be seeing a tank just like yours (except straight vivid black) headed our way sometime in the next month!

Can't thank ya enough for taking the time to make the suggestion. Obviously I'll post pics once it arrives...

Old 04-06-2007, 07:30 AM
balley
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He does great work. He lives not to far from where i do. He painted a Bike for my brother and done an outstanding job.

Old 04-06-2007, 09:01 AM
dbleagle
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hell yeah, Goth got an outstanding price... I'm paying $1100 dollars just for the paint on my original tins...

Wish you would have posted this a lot earlier than you did... lol

Charlie D.