Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

left turn signals help please

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 03:54 AM
dudemanwtf
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default left turn signals help please

Hi I am new to the forum and I checked everywhere for a solution for this problem but I cant seem to find a straight answer.
I drive a 2003 XLH sportster
I spilled a few months back and I have chopped my rear fender and switche my turn signals to led.

At first they would just stay solid when the buttons were pressed but after test driving it the left turn signal was consistently flickering and just decided to stay solid.

Even when I keep pressing the turn signal it would shut off. Bought a badlands led load equilizer and it fixed my right signals to normal flashing.

When I turn right signal on it normally flashes. When I turn my left signal on it cancels the right signal.

I changed all my fuses and I dont want to go to my dealer cause they charge an arm for just troubleshooting and a leg to actually fix it.

Thanks any suggestion will be considered.

Old 01-14-2014, 04:22 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Hi from the UK and welcome to HDF. When changing from conventional bulbs to LEDs you also need to install a 'load equaliser'. LEDs take very little power, compared with the bulbs you just replaced, so the flasher unit on your bike thinks the bulbs have blown, hence doesn't flash properly. So you need to put that right, before we check if there is any other problem.

I use a 'Badlands Motorcycle Products' unit on my old Glide, which are popular and sorted out the same problem for me. They make a wide range of units, so make sure you get the correct one for your bike.

Old 01-14-2014, 04:32 AM
dudemanwtf
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
Hi from the UK and welcome to HDF. When changing from conventional bulbs to LEDs you also need to install a 'load equaliser'. LEDs take very little power, compared with the bulbs you just replaced, so the flasher unit on your bike thinks the bulbs have blown, hence doesn't flash properly. So you need to put that right, before we check if there is any other problem.

I use a 'Badlands Motorcycle Products' unit on my old Glide, which are popular and sorted out the same problem for me. They make a wide range of units, so make sure you get the correct one for your bike.
I did install a badlands load equilizer and it fixed the right turn signal, but my left turn signal stays solid even if I press and depress the button.