Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many of us ride our bikes as daily transportation

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 10:05 AM
AMathis
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How many of us ride our bikes as daily transportation

After I bought my bike I pretty much quit driving anything else. I'm a construction worker that goes all over Florida, Georgia, and Alabama to different jobs. When I go I put my cloths in a Tbag turned to the passenger seat acting as a backrest and tie my toolbox and levels to the luggage rack. Then of course few tools in my little forks bag for emergency repairs on the road. Then I pack saddlebags with small electric skillet, single burner hot plate, crook pot and some camping cookware for motel cooking. All this is very normal for me now. And I've learned how to travel light carrying what I need cutting out what I don't need. I've rode through some pretty foul weather rain, cold and such you just learn to deal with it. Trashbags can be used for more than putting trash in they work great keeping things dry. I realize living in the south east snow isn't something I deal with like our friends farther north so that makes a difference. Anyway my question is who else rides like I or am I the only idiot out there. Also anyone else please post how you ride and what you may pack. As I would like to know to maybe take your tips and tricks to use myself as we can always learn from each other.

Thanks for the replies. I really want to hear how others ride their bikes. And what you pack for road trips.

Old 01-12-2014, 10:27 AM
srt8
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As soon as I get home my scoot will be my primary mode of transport

Old 01-12-2014, 01:33 PM
Nikotine
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Phoenix Arizona is the perfect place to daily a motorcycle. I dont understand why there are weekend warriors here.

Old 01-12-2014, 01:39 PM
Vincewd
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

about 50/50 here, really depend on chance of rain, If it's 70 % chance I'm driving my truck.

Old 01-12-2014, 01:58 PM
kontiki
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,279 Likes on 1,155 Posts

As soon as Spring hits I'm riding every day. Exceptions are when there is > 50% chance I'm gonna get rained on (sorry, but I hate getting my bike all wet and muddy - too much work to clean it up).

Old 01-12-2014, 02:45 PM
Ployd4
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ride a lot but if it is raining or below freezing forget it. I don't mind getting rained on during my ride home but not in the morning heading in. We had a welder come in and do some work at the plant and he rode a motto guzzi. He carried all his welding gear. Hard bags, windshield, leathers, etc. It was the middle of the winter. He says he rides no matter the weather. He had a nice setup.

Old 01-12-2014, 03:57 PM
miami
Road Master
Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

Ride 300mi a week just for work. Dress for the weather and plastic bags to keep things dry.

Old 01-12-2014, 04:56 PM
Blackhawk48
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

As long as its above 35 degrees and dry I'm out riding mine to work and anywhere else I need to go. Saves me so much money on gas so why not...

Old 01-12-2014, 05:51 PM
NicoBomber
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn, what you get out of your sporty is very impressive, a "work truck" of a sportster! That could also be a genius way to get in some mini-camping trips in-between your job sites/work schedule. Very cool.

I put on 80 miles every work day, commuting from Riverside to CSU Fullerton. I pack barely light, as I'm just teaching a class so I don't need much. I typically just pack a small backpack holding a water bottle, lunch, a couple books (the course texts), and my lecture notes. I don't bring my computer as I don't know if I'll get stuck in a rain ride (though rare in S. Cal.).

A motorcycle is my only mode of personal motorized transport. I use a pedal bike for most everything else, usually the short/under 10 mile trips, which are the bulk of my local travels.

- Nic

Old 01-12-2014, 06:18 PM
06Sporty75
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it's crazy, comfort is important on long trips, especially if your going to work construction, and a car is easier if you have to carry a lot of stuff, you can get a small car for cheap (cheaper than a sportster) that gets easily over 30mpg,, easily carry & access your stuff, carry more, and be in complete comfort with heat & AC and a good stereo,, and have protection from rain..

also should mention the extra safety of a car

I only used the bike daily in good weather and for the short 25 mile ride to work.... and I also had a Bluetooth helmet to listen to talk radio on my iphone. lets be honest, the bike is a toy,, you'll never save money riding a motorcycle.... ymost people still have to own a car,,

Last edited by 06Sporty75; 01-12-2014 at 06:20 PM.

Quick Reply: How many of us ride our bikes as daily transportation