Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 Iron 883 Exhaust Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 01:26 PM
RadRodriguez
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2014 Iron 883 Exhaust Question

Hi I am new to this forum and to motorcyles in general. I just bought a 2014 HD Iron 883 and want to change out the pipes to some black Vance & Hines staggered short shots. I love these black pipes on other Irons and think they will finish off my bike!

The question which I can't seem to get a difinitive answer is what ELSE will I need to do to get the bike running correctly. I know similar questions have been asked here and elswhere, but I have also read & heard the 2014 bikes are slightly different.

The basic question is, can I do pipes and leave ECM alone? Can I do a canned HD tune? Do I need an aftemarket fuel management product? The V&H FuelPack is not available for the 2014 Iron until march 2014.

I have heard everything from just do the pipes and ride, to my local dealer saying I need an A/C and a full SE Race Tuner and dyno time ($820 price tag!!).

Does anyone have first hand experience in modifying a 2014 Iron? I will probably do the A/C later, but right now the budget does not allow for pipes, A/C, & tune.

Although I am new to bikes, I have gone down this same rabbit hole with a track car and don't really want to spend that kind of cash at this time. I just want black pipes that sound a bit louder and meaner .

Thanks!!!!

Old 01-09-2014, 01:35 PM
NySmokeEater
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome and congrats on your new scoot. First ride the bike learn from the bike before you jump in modifying things. A lot of people that just jump in changing things so quickly regret it later or get bored of it too quickly but its your money . As far as i know if your changing the pipes id recommend doing a tuner or xieds not 100% sure if they make them for the 2014s but u can contact dk customs and they will be willing to help im sure . You are going from a constricted pipe to a less constricted pipe your torque will drop and your bike will run leaner . I mean it already runs lean thanks to the epa. Tell hd to go shove it with those prices you dont need no dyno especially from them when you can do it with a tuner much cheaper and better . As someone said here cant remember who hd shops cant tune them self out of a wet paper bag. Or cheaper version cut the baffles out of your stock pipes put some thunder torque inserts whala. cheap and loud

Old 01-09-2014, 02:28 PM
JaySwear
Road Captain

I'd say ride for a few months before jumping in to modifying. I'm glad I did with my bike. When I got it I wanted everything in the world for it. Now I have a pretty clear vision of where I want it to go.

BUT if you're set on changing the exhaust I'd say get a new air cleaner (that provides more air flow) and get a tuner that you can use in the future for more mods as well. DK Customs' XIED is very popular.

Old 01-09-2014, 03:39 PM
blackknight883
Tourer

If you are just gonna swap pipes, you should be ok without any tuning. If you add an aftermarket air filter, youll need some sort of tuning.

On my Iron, I have a DK Air intake, and Rush slip on pipes. I also have a the Nightrider XiED harness that helps correct the air/fuel ratio when adding things like intakes and exhaust. I have a video link in my signature below on how to install a lot of the mods i just mentioned.

My bike runs great, and gets great mileage. You can dial in the tuning better with a full on custom tune, or a hand held. But if you are looking for simple and easy. The XiED will do the trick.

But I agree with the people above, get comfortable riding the bike stock before you start modding.

Because once you start modding...YOU. CANT. STOP. ahaha

Congrats on the new bike

Old 01-10-2014, 01:20 PM
DK Custom Products
Sponsor
Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

As was already said, if you only change the pipes, you will not need to get any kind of fuel management.

On the same token, if you only change the Air Cleaner, you do not need to do any kind of fuel management.

It is when you change both the Exhaust and Air Cleaner that you will need some kind of fuel management system. That is when you get into tons of options. Below is an overview of all these options that may prove helpful to you. Feel free to give us a call with any questions that you may have. We are always happy to help.

LINK

Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 01-11-2014, 06:54 PM
bmorales_09
Intermediate

so if I wanted to change my stock exhaust system all I need is xied?

Old 01-11-2014, 07:36 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,209 Likes on 2,446 Posts

Originally Posted by bmorales_09
so if I wanted to change my stock exhaust system all I need is xied?
That is correct. You only need one of the XiED products.

If you have a 2014 Sporty, it should be the XL-ViED-14 model. Here is the LINK to it.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 01-11-2014, 09:07 PM
bmorales_09
Intermediate

thanks for the info coz I was trying to purchase earlier V&H exhaust system but was told that I need to re-map my bike if I install this exhaust system. And I need to buy a tuner all in all im gona come up to $1100.00. This is just for the parts needed not including the re-map

Old 01-12-2014, 02:44 AM
beau_cauchemar
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bmorales_09
thanks for the info coz I was trying to purchase earlier V&H exhaust system but was told that I need to re-map my bike if I install this exhaust system. And I need to buy a tuner all in all im gona come up to $1100.00. This is just for the parts needed not including the re-map
Avoid letting the dealer do anything other than warranty work. They will tell you a lot of things, most of which will be laughably untrue for the sake of making money. This even goes for tires in my experience. Always, ALWAYS avoid any dealer remap (ECM snakeoil, simply a raised RPM limit with no change to AFR) unless of course you bought a SE Race Tuner and you're getting it dyno'd at a dealership. With that being said, also avoid the FuelPak as it doesn't accomplish anything the X/VIEDs can't do. If you're serious about buying a tuner, do yourself a favor and save up for a Power Vision. You'll be glad you did.

Buy the exhaust after finding a good deal online. Install it yourself using one of the many online guides/videos. Enjoy the money you saved going this route and the pride in knowing that by doing the work yourself you're getting to know your motorcycle better.

Old 01-12-2014, 04:53 AM
Banzai883
Cruiser

Do it! Just get the quiet baffles. Cuz the pipes are really loud. I have the same exhaust and I love it. I think the bike is ok without an air cleaner. Just get a good drop in filter. Have fun with it. These bikes are so much fun and highly modifyable. Skies the limit.

Quick Reply: 2014 Iron 883 Exhaust Question