Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 Iron 883 Exhaust Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 09:36 AM
okiesho
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Seano846
Thanks, I really appreciate it, I'm in the exact same boat as you were on this, got my Iron in October and can't decide what to do with the pipes just yet. I'll be looking forward to the video if you put one up
I'll shoot some video Saturday. I'll upload it if it comes out okay.

Old 01-16-2014, 01:17 PM
DK Custom Products
Sponsor
Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by PatoConcha
Installing this "XL-ViED Fuel Enrichment Harley EFI Plug-n-Play 2014 Sportster" on 2014 Iron 883 ... will void warranty ?

thanks

Pat
We have some Harley dealers that install these and it does not affect warranty. Just to be on the safe side, you will need to check with your dealer as to what will void the warranty. With some dealers it varies.

Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 01-22-2014, 04:10 PM
bmorales_09
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=DK Custom Products;12206014]We have some Harley dealers that install these and it does not affect warranty. Just to be on the safe side, you will need to check with your dealer as to what will void the warranty. With some dealers it varies. Anybody living in California? How true about the California law prohibit of modifying exhaust system?

Old 01-22-2014, 04:13 PM
bmorales_09
Intermediate

I have a 2014 iron 883 and purchase v&h shortshot staggered. Is it true that it is not street legal here in California to modify your exhaust system with an aftermarket pipes?

Old 01-23-2014, 09:05 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,209 Likes on 2,446 Posts

[QUOTE=bmorales_09;12230326]
Originally Posted by DK Custom Products
We have some Harley dealers that install these and it does not affect warranty. Just to be on the safe side, you will need to check with your dealer as to what will void the warranty. With some dealers it varies. Anybody living in California? How true about the California law prohibit of modifying exhaust system?
Natalie was talking about the XL-ViED's. These are not part of the exhaust system. They richen up the AFR in closed loop. This is probably against the law in California, as are every other tuner out there that richens up the AFR in closed loop. However, it is not possible to know you have done that without putting a sniffer up the exhaust. If this is something you are concerned about, it is easy to remove them prior to any test.

XL-ViED's are easy to install and remove and then re-install.

Regarding exhaust- Very few aftermarket exhaust systems are legal in California on the newer bikes. Here is the V&H disclaimer for SS -

California warning: The California Air Resources Board ("CARB") does not permit the use of aftermarket products that remove or alter OEM emission control devices unless certified by CARB, other than for racing vehicles on closed courses. This product is legal for use ONLY in Competition Racing Vehicles and is Not legal for use on public roads, streets, or highways. If your shipping address is inside California we will contact you and request that you sign and return a "Race Use Only" disclaimer.

That being said, as of now, it does not appear there is too much enforcement of this going on.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 01-24-2014, 07:54 AM
ib5150
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I haven't read all the feedback so this might have been mentioned, It is my understanding that you can change EITHER the intake or exhaust without needing a Tuner However, that rule of thumb does not work with the Vance and Hynes short shots! If you use that exhaust system then a tuner will be needed even if you do not change the air intake.

I received this information from V&H when I was looking to add an exhaust to my bike.

Old 03-12-2014, 11:46 AM
okiesho
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I FINALLY decided I want to go with the V&H Big Radius Black exhaust for my 2014 Iron. I talked to V&H and they don't know when they are releasing them. So, I'll just have to wait...

Old 01-25-2015, 05:36 AM
Breikers
Stage III

Hi okiesho, i have recently bought a sportster 883 iron. The exhaust have a catalyst since i live in the netherlands europe. I am a bit anxious about drilling a hole in de baffle. Does this interfere with the catalyst in any way? Or should i just go for it ?

Regards jack

Old 01-25-2015, 12:43 PM
asianiron
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bmorales_09
I have a 2014 iron 883 and purchase v&h shortshot staggered. Is it true that it is not street legal here in California to modify your exhaust system with an aftermarket pipes?
I bought mine in Bakersfield HD. They said the only legal aftermarket exhaust was the Screaming Eagle street cannon (50 state legal)...so i dint want any LE trouble..so i bought those..its a difrent look than the short shots and sounds pretty good in my opinion. Short shots do look better...but the Cannons are a difrent look.

Old 01-25-2015, 12:58 PM
Ryan42
Road Master
Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by ib5150
I haven't read all the feedback so this might have been mentioned, It is my understanding that you can change EITHER the intake or exhaust without needing a Tuner However, that rule of thumb does not work with the Vance and Hynes short shots! If you use that exhaust system then a tuner will be needed even if you do not change the air intake.

I received this information from V&H when I was looking to add an exhaust to my bike.
This is not true

Quick Reply: 2014 Iron 883 Exhaust Question