Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 Iron 883 Exhaust Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 10:40 PM
okiesho
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I bought a 2014 Iron in November so I understand where you're coming from. I wanted a louder bike too! I read tons of info on changing the exhaust, and from what I've read, seen, and heard you don't have to re-map if you only change your pipes.

What I did was complete my break-in period. Then I decided to wait until the aftermarket caught up with the 2014 Iron. I didn't want to go with the same black short shots everyone else had. Also, you can't just cut the baffles out. There's a catalytic converter in each muffler too!

I just got a really long drill bit and drilled a couple of holes in each baffle. Now my bike is louder and has a deeper note. I didn't notice any losses in torque with my seat dyno.

Also I removed the header heat shields and wrapped the headers with black exhaust wrap. I'll stick with this until I hear an exhaust setup that I like. Also, I like having the chrome muffler stand out against a blacked out bike.

Old 01-14-2014, 01:00 PM
RadRodriguez
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all the input from everyone who chimed in . I keep hearing the same advice that I can swap the exhaust only and do nothing else. The only two who have advised me otherwise are the dealer (what a surprise) and Vance & Hines.

I had a great conversation with the guys at Fuel Moto and will likely go with one of their products, PC V or maybe Power Vision. They also told me that exhaust alone is OK and I will need no map. This is great news as it allows me to make the changes in a logical progression limiting the cost at each step. I wish I could do everything at once but we all have budgets to keep. I also enjoy doing the wrenching on my toys, so not visiting the dealer is just icing on the cake!

Old 01-14-2014, 04:59 PM
Seano846
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by okiesho
I bought a 2014 Iron in November so I understand where you're coming from. I wanted a louder bike too! I read tons of info on changing the exhaust, and from what I've read, seen, and heard you don't have to re-map if you only change your pipes.

What I did was complete my break-in period. Then I decided to wait until the aftermarket caught up with the 2014 Iron. I didn't want to go with the same black short shots everyone else had. Also, you can't just cut the baffles out. There's a catalytic converter in each muffler too!

I just got a really long drill bit and drilled a couple of holes in each baffle. Now my bike is louder and has a deeper note. I didn't notice any losses in torque with my seat dyno.

Also I removed the header heat shields and wrapped the headers with black exhaust wrap. I'll stick with this until I hear an exhaust setup that I like. Also, I like having the chrome muffler stand out against a blacked out bike.
Could you please post a Pic?

Old 01-15-2014, 12:21 AM
bmorales_09
Intermediate

or a short video so we can hear how it sounds.....I might do mine ioo

Old 01-15-2014, 11:15 AM
PatoConcha
Cruiser
Received 47 Likes on 18 Posts

Installing this "XL-ViED Fuel Enrichment Harley EFI Plug-n-Play 2014 Sportster" on 2014 Iron 883 ... will void warranty ?

thanks

Pat

Old 01-15-2014, 04:34 PM
okiesho
Road Master

Originally Posted by Seano846
Could you please post a Pic?
I added a pic of my bike to my signature.

I may try to record the sound before I go riding this weekend. From the Youtube videos I've seen it may be a waste of time. You never get a true playback of what it really sounds like.

Old 01-15-2014, 06:30 PM
Seano846
1st Gear

I may try to record the sound before I go riding this weekend. From the Youtube videos I've seen it may be a waste of time. You never get a true playback of what it really sounds like.
Thanks, I really appreciate it, I'm in the exact same boat as you were on this, got my Iron in October and can't decide what to do with the pipes just yet. I'll be looking forward to the video if you put one up

Old 01-15-2014, 06:32 PM
Seano846
1st Gear

One more thing....Did you take off the exhaust to wrap it or left it on?

Old 01-15-2014, 09:45 PM
NySmokeEater
Cruiser

Next to imposible to wrap pipes without taking them off . Its a hassle but can be done with some patience and strong fingers to pull it tight .

Old 01-16-2014, 09:34 AM
okiesho
Road Master

I took the exhaust off to wrap it. The whole job took about 1 1/2hrs to do, but I've taken the exhaust off before.

Quick Reply: 2014 Iron 883 Exhaust Question