Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"My Black Heart" - 2013 XL883N 1200cc Stage 3 Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 09:38 PM
ThePaintPirate
Club Member
Received 1,558 Likes on 808 Posts

I'm 29 and have been riding sportbikes all my life, but suddenly got the "wild hair" this June after a friend bought a 2012 HD 48. I've got the same exhaust you have now and I would like to make the bike as low as I can by switching over to clipons or a drag bar, and lower the speedo with the RSD set you have or the stock guage bracket on a 48. Did you have to replace the clutch/ throttle cables as well?

Old 01-05-2014, 01:21 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,224 Likes on 2,458 Posts

Bike's looking good!

Agree with madnss and sly, not sure when your front header turned so blue, but if it was after the upgrade, sorta makes one think the tune is more than a little off.

Unsolicited advice- for slow maneuvering keep your foot on the rear brake, and use it along with the clutch to make slow speed riding easy...and Never use the front brake at slow speeds. Are there times when you can use the front brake at slow speed? Yes, but it can turn bad quickly, and is not a good habit.

Been a long time since I was in Miami...but I know that traffic is a bitch. Ride Safe!

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 01-05-2014, 02:41 AM
Triumph Jerry
Cruiser
Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by MyBlackHeart
lmao!! Maybe I will eventually, but I don't get why everyone is so quick to take them off. I mean, maybe it's just me riding in the dangerous traffic of Miami, but... I kinda WANT everything I can to be seen by these crazy cage drivers!!

Thanks man!
If you DO want to take them off, use a heat gun or hair dryer, they are just glued on and the fork is round under them.
Great looking bike, hope you have a BLAST with it!
I live in South Florida and I usually go out by Lake Okeechobee where there is little traffic, you can actually relax on the bike.
The best advice I can give you is "Ride like you're Invisible." Pretend no one can see you. Go through intersections with a car beside you. or a BIG truck.
If a car is at a stop sign and there is no car right behind you, "slow down" because you're invisible and the car at the stop sign can't see you.
Anyone who rides a bike like they drive a car, won't last a week.
Thanks for the GREAT post and pics, see you on the Forum.
...jerry

Old 01-05-2014, 04:39 AM
.Steven.
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice! Can i ask you where you got the headlight mounting bracket?

Old 01-05-2014, 05:05 AM
hitman1267
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice sporty man, I am a new rider as well. My winter mods are looking nice, I just got a Powervision, installed the SE heavy breather and now I am waiting for my D&D Bobcat. Where'd you get that sweet light on the engine?

Old 01-05-2014, 06:34 AM
305 Rider
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ThePaintPirate
Did you have to replace the clutch/ throttle cables as well?
In my research, I did see where some people recommended getting shorter cables for the clip-on set-up, but the guy at the indie shop that installed them for me was able to tuck the existing cables away nicely. I'll take some pics today for you.

Originally Posted by DK Custom
Unsolicited advice...
Originally Posted by Triumph Jerry
The best advice I can give you is...
Thanks for the tips guys!

Originally Posted by .Steven.
Nice! Can i ask you where you got the headlight mounting bracket?
If you mean the headlight grill, it is by Rough Crafts. You can get it direct from roughcrafts.com (but they only accept Paypal) or from Lowbrow Customs (http://www.lowbrowcustoms.com/p2842/...er-sportsters/).

Originally Posted by hitman1267
Where'd you get that sweet light on the engine?
A local dealer called 'Lite Cycle'. They're just a couple of strips of white LED lights that adhere to the underside of the tank. (http://www.ridethelite.com/index.cfm?category=1). I can switch it on or off if I like. Some people overdo it though with too many lights I think... makes their bike look like something out of Tron!

Old 01-05-2014, 10:21 AM
ThePaintPirate
Club Member
Received 1,558 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom
Bike's looking good!

Agree with madnss and sly, not sure when your front header turned so blue, but if it was after the upgrade, sorta makes one think the tune is more than a little off.

Unsolicited advice- for slow maneuvering keep your foot on the rear brake, and use it along with the clutch to make slow speed riding easy...and Never use the front brake at slow speeds. Are there times when you can use the front brake at slow speed? Yes, but it can turn bad quickly, and is not a good habit.

Been a long time since I was in Miami...but I know that traffic is a bitch. Ride Safe!
My pipes have the same discoloration with the SE air cleaner, exhaust, and stage 1 download.

Old 01-05-2014, 10:38 AM
.Steven.
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MyBlackHeart
If you mean the headlight grill, it is by Rough Crafts. You can get it direct from roughcrafts.com (but they only accept Paypal) or from Lowbrow Customs (http://www.lowbrowcustoms.com/p2842/...er-sportsters/).
It looked like you got rid of that ugly eyebrow and mounted the headlight on the lowest triple tree? No?

Old 01-05-2014, 02:20 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,224 Likes on 2,458 Posts

Originally Posted by ThePaintPirate
My pipes have the same discoloration with the SE air cleaner, exhaust, and stage 1 download.
Yep, that's a lean set up. Stage 1 downloads, at best, keep you at epa mandated AFR, which is very lean.

Old 01-05-2014, 02:43 PM
maverickwolfe
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

beautiful work, sir! I don't think I could handle clip-ons, but the riding position looks mean for sure. Kudos!

Quick Reply: "My Black Heart" - 2013 XL883N 1200cc Stage 3 Conversion