Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"My Black Heart" - 2013 XL883N 1200cc Stage 3 Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 06:07 PM
slyedog
Elite HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by Madnss
The dyno sheet has a so-so decent curve but power is down for that combo. That combo should be putting down mid to upper 90s. Might be the exhaust or its too lean or timing is not correct or all 3.

A well tuned rubbermount stage 1 with a good exhaust is capable of 78-82 hp. And 75 plus tq. Penny per hp on this engine is not good. It had more in it. Sharp bike.

Are they 575 cams with 11.3 to 1
That's a very nice bike! I think madnss has a good point. You aren't reaching full potential for power for what you got. Stock header pipes with slip ons for that much in engine mods is really limiting you. A nice black 2-1 like a defender or d&d will not only get you the power but also look very nice with your bike.

Old 01-04-2014, 06:18 PM
wolfxandxcrow
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sick ride, sir!

looks like you have the trees lower on the forks. any reason for that?

Old 01-04-2014, 07:46 PM
305 Rider
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for all the compliments guys!

The dyno sheet has a so-so decent curve but power is down for that combo. That combo should be putting down mid to upper 90s. Might be the exhaust or its too lean or timing is not correct or all 3.

A well tuned rubbermount stage 1 with a good exhaust is capable of 78-82 hp. And 75 plus tq. Penny per hp on this engine is not good. It had more in it. Sharp bike.
Originally Posted by slyedog
That's a very nice bike! I think madnss has a good point. You aren't reaching full potential for power for what you got. Stock header pipes with slip ons for that much in engine mods is really limiting you. A nice black 2-1 like a defender or d&d will not only get you the power but also look very nice with your bike.
Hey Madnss, as I said on the xlforum, I believe (with my limited knowledge) that you are exactly right about the exhaust. I chose the exhaust upon initial purchase of the bike before doing any research. The Screamin' Eagle set up I have [Screamin' Eagle Jet Black Buckshot Exhaust Shield Kit (PN 64924-09) and Screamin' Eagle Street Performance Sportster Jet Black Shorty Dual Mufflers (PN 80726-09A)] I don't think is as good as Vance & Hines or some other set-ups that have 2-into-1, and it could have meant more horsepower as you have pointed out.

Are they 575 cams with 11.3 to 1
I will be completely honest I have no idea! In the Screamin' Eagle 2013 catalog, the cams are Part Number 25740-05.

Originally Posted by wolfxandxcrow
Sick ride, sir! Looks like you have the trees lower on the forks. any reason for that?
Hm? I'm not sure what you mean by this. I had the stock handlebars taken off, along with the risers that were holding them up. Furthermore, I had the stock speedometer mount removed and in its place is the Roland Sands Design speedometer mount, which makes it flush with the top of the triple trees.

So what you see is the just top of the triple trees. The clip-on handlebars I'm running right now are exactly that... They clip on directly to the forks. So when you look at the top of the triple tree, you're just seeing the Joker Machine black Riser Plugs, black Fork Tube Caps, and black Steering Stem Cover that I had installed.

I hope that makes sense!

Last edited by 305 Rider; 01-04-2014 at 07:48 PM.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:51 PM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,974 Likes on 1,346 Posts

Looks like you spent a shitload of money, but missed the cheapest, easiest, and very first mod I did on my bike. Get rid of those lame front slider reflectors.

Good looking ride for sure, well done.

John

Old 01-04-2014, 08:04 PM
305 Rider
Intermediate

Originally Posted by John Harper
Looks like you spent a shitload of money, but missed the cheapest, easiest, and very first mod I did on my bike. Get rid of those lame front slider reflectors.

Good looking ride for sure, well done.

John
lmao!! Maybe I will eventually, but I don't get why everyone is so quick to take them off. I mean, maybe it's just me riding in the dangerous traffic of Miami, but... I kinda WANT everything I can to be seen by these crazy cage drivers!!

Thanks man!

Old 01-04-2014, 08:30 PM
slyedog
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by MyBlackHeart
lmao!! Maybe I will eventually, but I don't get why everyone is so quick to take them off. I mean, maybe it's just me riding in the dangerous traffic of Miami, but... I kinda WANT everything I can to be seen by these crazy cage drivers!!

Thanks man!
I am with you on the reflectors. Can't decide if they save me or not. Hate them being there but hate to think if something happened they could have saved me. Fate is fate and I am leaning on pulling them and rear fender as well. Really look into patriot, d&d, or thunder header. I think nhrs or hammer has a dyno comparison of them all.

Old 01-04-2014, 08:41 PM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,974 Likes on 1,346 Posts

Oh come on boys! The brilliant glare off that RSD air intake will ward off any evil doers. Get the 24K gold plated version, for extra protection.

I know that Hammer did a dyno on fork slider reflectors versus no reflectors, about 5hp gain without those slider reflectors. There's a post and dyno sheet somewhere on this forum. I forget the link, you can find it.

John

Old 01-04-2014, 09:18 PM
slyedog
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by John Harper
Oh come on boys! The brilliant glare off that RSD air intake will ward off any evil doers. Get the 24K gold plated version, for extra protection.

I know that Hammer did a dyno on fork slider reflectors versus no reflectors, about 5hp gain without those slider reflectors. There's a post and dyno sheet somewhere on this forum. I forget the link, you can find it.

John
Did that dyno show any gain by getting chrome sliders? If I netted another 5 or so horse I could hit 80 to the wheel. Maybe I could gain a little tq by adding the spike front axle nut covers too!!!!!

Old 01-04-2014, 09:18 PM
ThePaintPirate
Club Member
Received 1,558 Likes on 808 Posts

I'm also a long time lurker and just for you I created an account so I can comment on the bike. Exelent work! This is just what I want to do with my 13 Iron, but I'm worried about the comfort of clipons over a long distance. How does this do on long trips?

Old 01-04-2014, 09:26 PM
305 Rider
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ThePaintPirate
I'm also a long time lurker and just for you I created an account so I can comment on the bike. Exelent work! This is just what I want to do with my 13 Iron, but I'm worried about the comfort of clipons over a long distance. How does this do on long trips?
Thanks for the compliment! Well, I'm still a newb, so the longest trip I've done is from Miami to Key West and back, we're talking only about 300 miles round trip and the comfort was fine. This April I intend on taking her to Daytona, that'll be about 500 miles round trip, so I don't suspect it will be bad.

Definitely not a touring bike! But if you're relatively young (I'm 35) and in good health, it's not uncomfortable at all, especially with short breaks every ~1.5 hours.

The clip-ons took a couple of days to get used to. Freeway riding is where they are the most comfortable, as we have a tendency to lean forwards into the wind anyways when riding at high speeds. High speed turns also feel more comfortable, as you feel like your hands are closer to the forks, so it seems like you have more precise control.

When riding around town in residential areas at moderate speeds, I advise trying to straighten your back and sit more upright, with arms extended down at an angle. This helps both comfort and control.

The trickiest thing about the clip-ons for me is maneuvering at very slow speeds such as in parking lots. I'm not sure how exactly to describe it... I suppose because of the leaned forward position, you have to be very, very careful with the front brake. If you have to use the front brake, make sure you have the fork directly straight in front of you. If you have it turned at any angle, it's very easy to lose your balance!

Here's some pics of my riding posture:

Last edited by 305 Rider; 01-04-2014 at 09:29 PM.

Quick Reply: "My Black Heart" - 2013 XL883N 1200cc Stage 3 Conversion