Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are Sportster stators overworked?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 08:38 AM
Triumph Jerry
Cruiser
Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Are Sportster stators overworked?

Sure seems to be a lot of stator problems here on the forum.
The 4 GE 198 bulbs (running lights, not turn signal) draw 12 amps all the time.
That's a big draw when cranking also, when I had my HD Soft-tail I rigged it
so I could shut all lights off while cranking.

Anyway, I haven't rode a bike after dark for 35 years and was thinking about
disabling the running light filaments in the bulbs not turn signals and not
change anything with the wiring, to eliminate the 12 amp constant draw.
At least on the front, I think headlight and tail light in the bright Florida sun
is enough.

My old Triumph has just head light and tail light and has had the same stator for 45 years.
Your thoughts please.
...jerry

Old 01-04-2014, 09:22 AM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,338 Posts

I think the voltage regulator causes the stator to run full output all the time, then shunts extra current to ground. What is your total amperage draw at 12 volts? There are aftermarket regulators that don't operate like that and only work the stator as much as necessary, generating less heat from the stator.

I have not read an extraordinary number bad stator reports IMO, the voltage regulators on the '12 bikes were defective on quite a few. Maybe those who had problems used extra lights, etc. and overloaded them, who knows?

I certainly wouldn't panic about it unless you are putting on electrical additions.

John

Old 01-04-2014, 09:50 AM
slyedog
Elite HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 185 Posts

You can look into switching bulbs to 1157 if they are the dual filament 198. Is there a reason to be running dual? iirc my fronts are dual filament and back are single. But you need to remember that unless you are powering the bright filament all the time you are really only running about .5 amp per bulb.

Old 01-04-2014, 10:01 AM
Triumph Jerry
Cruiser

Originally Posted by slyedog
You can look into switching bulbs to 1157 if they are the dual filament 198. Is there a reason to be running dual? iirc my fronts are dual filament and back are single. But you need to remember that unless you are powering the bright filament all the time you are really only running about .5 amp per bulb.
Hi Dog, my XL1200C one filament is running light, the other is turn signal.
Should have put my ride in the OP.
Didn't look at the back lights, hmmm ...should be the same as yours.
Gunna check it out.

Old 01-04-2014, 10:02 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Red face

Your old Triumph dates back to a time when daytime lights were not compulsory and has a much lower output than say a current Triumph. Same with our Sporties, current models have far higher output alternators than older models. That draw you mention is a small proportion of total output.

You may find when pressing the starter button that your lights go out briefly. Some bikes have that arrangement to reduce load on the battery for those first turns of the engine during starting. Unless you want to tinker for the sake of it, I suggest leaving the poor thing alone - you spent more than 12 amps-worth of effort typing your original post!

Last edited by grbrown; 01-05-2014 at 10:22 AM.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:29 AM
Triumph Jerry
Cruiser

SlyeDog was right, I thought ALL 4 signal lights were also running lights, but it's just the front. Probably only amounts to an amp or two.
What brought this on is the volt meter I installed on the XL1200C reads about 13 volts
and the one I installed on the gixer (with LED) reads 14.3 volts.
Maybe the battery was just a little low.
...jerry '06 XL1200C

Old 01-04-2014, 10:32 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Sporties up through 2006 have 22 amp charging systems. Their typical TOTAL running amp load is 11-12 amps, with the headlight being the largest load at 4 - 4.5 amps (Lo/Hi beam).

2007 and later Sporties have a ~32 amp charging system to handle the increased load of the EFI and electric fuel pump.

Harley stators are junk and fail frequently. The situation is made worse due to the fact that Harley uses "shunt" type regulators which cause the stator to run continuously at 100% load.

Cycle Electric makes a much better quality stator and a "switching" type regulator that draws stator power only as needed.

Old 01-04-2014, 10:35 AM
Triumph Jerry
Cruiser

Originally Posted by grbrown
Your old Triumph dates back to a time when daytime lights were not compulsory and has a much lower output than say a current Triumph. Same with our Sporties, current models have far higher output alternators than older models. That drawer you mention is a small proportion of total output.

You may find when pressing the starter button that your lights go out briefly. Some bikes have that arrangement to reduce load on the battery for those first turns of the engine during starting. Unless you want to tinker for the sake of it, I suggest leaving the poor thing alone - you spent more than 12 amps-worth of effort typing your original post!
With the stator I have on the ol' Triumph I can unhook the battery, kick it over, ride it with the lights on too.
I've won some bets doing that.

Old 01-04-2014, 10:41 AM
Triumph Jerry
Cruiser

Harley stators are junk and fail frequently. The situation is made worse due to the fact that Harley uses "shunt" type regulators which cause the stator to run continuously at 100% load.

Cycle Electric makes a much better quality stator and a "switching" type regulator that draws stator power only as needed.[/QUOTE]

Yep, ....that's junk all right!

Old 01-04-2014, 10:48 AM
kontiki
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,279 Likes on 1,155 Posts

The best thing you can do to prolong stator life is to change oil regularly and maintain your battery ... and replace it when its getting weak. Letting the engine run too hot is another thing that will affect stator life.

Quick Reply: Are Sportster stators overworked?