Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for help -strange noise...

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 10:18 PM
vicenzajay
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for help -strange noise...

I think there was a similar thread about 2-3 months ago, but I can't find it.

My fairly new (delivered Aug 29) XL1200C (see picture in sig) has developed a strange noise once it's warmed up and above 40 mph. It's hard to describe, but it's coming from the engine and sounds a bit like a helicopter (or, perhaps, a loose rotor - a kind of "clacky, whirring") It varies in speed with engine RPM...in volume as well to some extent. I've only noticed this on the last two rides (last weekend and this weekend).

The bike has 1600'ish miles on it and had the 1000 mile service done about 450 miles back (about 1150 on the odometer). I did all the fluids and the clutch plate adjustment myself for the service, but I let the dealership do the rest for the first one.

Any ideas? Loose primary chain? Lifter making noise? I'm worried while at the same time wondering if this noise is normal. The bike is pulling hard and running well otherwise no matter what speed or gear.

Thanks in advance....

Old 12-31-2013, 12:49 AM
vicenzajay
Cruiser

I should add that it doesn't start (the noise) until the bike is warmed up - usually about 10-15 minutes into the ride at least before it starts...

Old 12-31-2013, 06:14 AM
laffin gas
Tourer

sometimes its really hard to describe a noise to people...my suggestion is to bring it by the dealership and let them take it for a ride and tell you what it is. im sure once they hear it they will know exactly what it is. don't keep taking it for rides and risking your safety and your bikes.

keep us posted

Old 12-31-2013, 10:08 AM
yet_erp
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Exhaust leak where pipes bolt onto heads?? Check those nuts for proper torque.

Old 12-31-2013, 11:50 AM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,975 Likes on 1,346 Posts

Sounds to me like the normal sewing machine sound (helicopter noise?) with some occasional lifter noise? That's pretty much normal for my bike. At least when it's warm and idling.

They are noisy engines. Make sure your tank bolts are tight.

John

Old 12-31-2013, 01:29 PM
slyedog
Elite HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by John Harper
Sounds to me like the normal sewing machine sound (helicopter noise?) with some occasional lifter noise? That's pretty much normal for my bike. At least when it's warm and idling.

They are noisy engines. Make sure your tank bolts are tight.

John
John I think you are on the money. Lifter noise would have the sound he is describing.

Old 12-31-2013, 01:34 PM
vicenzajay
Cruiser
Default Anyone...

Originally Posted by yet_erp
Exhaust leak where pipes bolt onto heads?? Check those nuts for proper torque.
Have the torque settings for these nuts right offhand? I'm getting a manual, but it's taking longer than it should.

"Sewing Machine" does describe the sound - my only question is that it just suddenly appeared at this volume over the last two rides - the noise might easily have been there before, but not at this volume at all. Doing more reading around the net it seems that both the exhaust bolts and the primary chain keep reappearing as themes for this kind of sound as well.

Last edited by vicenzajay; 12-31-2013 at 01:36 PM.
Old 12-31-2013, 01:42 PM
vicenzajay
Cruiser
Default Thanks...

Originally Posted by laffin gas
sometimes its really hard to describe a noise to people...my suggestion is to bring it by the dealership and let them take it for a ride and tell you what it is. im sure once they hear it they will know exactly what it is. don't keep taking it for rides and risking your safety and your bikes.

keep us posted
I'll definitely report back when we figure this out.

My problem with taking it to the dealership is that the closest one is over an hour away. The dealership where I bought the bike is two hours away. I really don't want to take this on a 70 mile jaunt (it takes ferries, etc., to get places from where I live) where I could easily get stranded until I have some idea of what might be going on.

Old 12-31-2013, 01:47 PM
slyedog
Elite HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 185 Posts

100-120 INCH lbs for flange nuts. They do work loose but would result in some decel pop usually. Serrated flange nuts is a good permanent fix. 5/16x24 thread.

Old 12-31-2013, 01:56 PM
vicenzajay
Cruiser

Will check them....I have a good inch-pound torque wrench.

Thank you...

Quick Reply: Looking for help -strange noise...