Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmets

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 09:52 PM
johnsonabq
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Helmets

OK... It's getting warmer here and I'm looking for another helmet to wear besides my full face. I've been looking at a half helmet, (like this http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1...m=HEL_03-575_G) but I'm not sure if I should get one with a brim or not. Will the brim cause trouble in the wind? I've got a full sized windshield but I'm planning to replace it with a short one that'll allow more wind in the face. Any suggestions on this would be great.
Thanks.

Old 03-16-2007, 10:16 PM
Wolhar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Helmets

The wind is going to beat you to death coming over a short shield and hitting ya in the face Bro, regardless of helmet type. I'll forgo the personal Opinion here.

Old 03-16-2007, 10:57 PM
johnsonabq
Tourer

Are you saying it would be better to simply pull off the windshield than have a short one?

Old 03-17-2007, 01:45 AM
WarriorHD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I wear a Harley/KBC half helmet and have no windsheild on my bike. My helmet has a visor and that helps bike time. When it's really windy out, nothing helps except pulling the helmet straps tighter. I'd say, make sureyou get the half helmet with a visor. I had one without and it was horrible. Regardless, you will still need to pull those straps tight....

Old 03-17-2007, 09:44 AM
Jambo
Banned

The visors snap off.

[IMG]local://upfiles/25278/2D11955D548C47D094B1412CA4D56C5D.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-17-2007, 10:42 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah the visor (brim) comes with the helmet and snaps right off. I have an identical model Shoei for the extreme hotsummershere in Tucson but I realize at the time I'm wearing it I'm assuming more of a risk. Normally I wear a full face helmet. It all depends on how much you want to protect.

Old 03-17-2007, 11:39 AM
outdoorgirl57
Road Master

Have you ever thought about a modular helmet?

Some of the reading I have done (and things I saw when I worked in the ER) indicates that a lot of the facial trauma that occurs in a crash is in thejaw area. I have a modular (H-D Stealth) and I love it. If I need more air in the hot weather, I can lift the shield for awhile or even the whole modular part.

...and it is sure a lot hotter here than Albuquerque. (It is going to be 86 here today.)

Old 03-17-2007, 01:49 PM
johnsonabq
Tourer

Well... My full face is modular. It's just that when I lift up the visor I get the "helmet shakes" above around 45mph. I thought a half helmet would be cooler and a visor would help keep the sun off my face. I already have a bottle of 50spf sunblock in my saddlebag as I do often ride without a helmet. Maybe if my helmet were more comfortable I would wear it more.

Anybody with more thoughts like ****** on switching (or not)to a smaller windshield?I would put the larger one back on ifI were to take a long trips athi way speeds.Here's a pic. You can see what I have now in my sig.

Thanks for all your input.

Old 03-17-2007, 04:50 PM
Lightngsvt
Road Captain
Received 75 Likes on 16 Posts

I thought I saw a post on here months back about a half helmet that had a bar across the chin area kind of like a football helmet. I was thinking that, while maybe looking a little dorky, would be a great compromise for summer riding as you would still have some facil protection in case of a crash?

Old 03-18-2007, 03:51 AM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 548 Likes on 398 Posts

ORIGINAL: johnsonabq

OK... It's getting warmer here and I'm looking for another helmet to wear besides my full face. I've been looking at a half helmet, (like this http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1...m=HEL_03-575_G) but I'm not sure if I should get one with a brim or not. Will the brim cause trouble in the wind? I've got a full sized windshield but I'm planning to replace it with a short one that'll allow more wind in the face. Any suggestions on this would be great.
Thanks.
It's getting 'warmer' here too. And it will be another 'hot' summer. But I wear a full face helmet with a face shield. The newhelmets with vents are really nice, and the vents work. The only caveat is that there must be air getting to the vents. I used to have a HD quick disconnect and had to remove it in the summer to get the air to my helmet vents. Now I use a Memphis Shield El Paso and it is low enough to allow air to enter the helmet vents but it is still cooler with the windshield removed. It is pretty hot at a long stoplight, and I raise the windshield, but as soon as you move there is a cool breeze across the top of your head.

Quick Reply: Helmets