Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmets

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 04:00 AM
Dallastx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Helmets

I put a 3/4 face shield on my half helmet. Along with safety glasses, it works pretty good.

Old 03-18-2007, 04:24 AM
johnsonabq
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Today I took a 175 mi day trip and I couldn't believe the amount of bugs on the windshield. I'm thinking if I get a short windshield a lot of that is going on me. So I'm rethinking the idea of a short windshield (all due respect to rjg882c). I think I need to keep the safety factor in perspective. A half helmet is better than no helmet. And if I were to do the safest thing I'd never get on the bike. Hell... never leave the house. Get my drift? I bought my bike to have fun. I need to do that in the safest manner I can without compromising what I love doing. It's all a personal decision and to each their own. I thank all who've responded and all who might yet. I'm always open to suggestions.

Old 03-18-2007, 04:47 AM
Wolhar
Banned
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: johnsonabq

Are you saying it would be better to simply pull off the windshield than have a short one?
Yep, that is exactly what I am saying.

Old 03-18-2007, 08:57 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: Lightngsvt

I thought I saw a post on here months back about a half helmet that had a bar across the chin area kind of like a football helmet. I was thinking that, while maybe looking a little dorky, would be a great compromise for summer riding as you would still have some facil protection in case of a crash?
I understand from reading Rhubarb that the helmet you're talking about is a Shuberth (?). It's not available in this country and I read you can buy it from a foreign source but it is around $600.00.

Old 03-18-2007, 04:18 PM
bmonty72
Stage II

Check out the AGV Dragon Helmet....

Old 03-18-2007, 06:39 PM
ride2tires
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think I need to keep the safety factor in perspective. A half helmet is better than no helmet. And if I were to do the safest thing I'd never get on the bike. Hell... never leave the house. Get my drift? I bought my bike to have fun. I need to do that in the safest manner I can without compromising what I love doing. It's all a personal decision and to each their own.
VERY WELL PUT!!!!!

Old 03-19-2007, 04:16 AM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 558 Likes on 405 Posts

Today I took a 175 mi day trip and I couldn't believe the amount of bugs on the windshield. I'm thinking if I get a short windshield a lot of that is going on me. So I'm rethinking the idea of a short windshield (all due respect to rjg882c). I think I need to keep the safety factor in perspective. A half helmet is better than no helmet. And if I were to do the safest thing I'd never get on the bike. Hell... never leave the house. Get my drift? I bought my bike to have fun. I need to do that in the safest manner I can without compromising what I love doing. It's all a personal decision and to each their own. I thank all who've responded and all who might yet. I'm always open to suggestions.
By short I meant a 17 inch as opposed to a taller one. Low enough to get air to the vents on top of my helmet, but high enough, and with enough of an angle, that most air is directed over my head. At least enough that I can barely feel it. To get back to the reason for this thread, heat, this really works. I can't speak much about bugs. It is too hot here for many bugs.

Ron

Old 03-19-2007, 09:19 AM
johnsonabq
Tourer

By short I meant a 17 inch as opposed to a taller one. Low enough to get air to the vents on top of my helmet, but high enough, and with enough of an angle, that most air is directed over my head. At least enough that I can barely feel it. To get back to the reason for this thread, heat, this really works. I can't speak much about bugs. It is too hot here for many bugs.
Oh, I see. My bad. But the windshield I was thinking of was a short one. (see pic above) That's the one I wasthinking of. I think I'll get the half helmet see how that works. National Cycle does make a "Chopped" shield a few inches lower but it costs more than the Shoei helmet I'm looking at. We'll see. Thanks,

Old 03-21-2007, 12:14 AM
BWLucky13
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I understand your heat question. At this time of the year, I'm reaching for the shorty most of the time, especially when the sun is out. My hot weather shorty has the large flip-up, dark tinted shield. I put velcro across the inside bottom edge and use a leather spoiler that extends back about an inch. I also have the strap rigged for fast put on and take off--important in hot weather. Oh, and the doo-rag is mandatory. It is one nasty looking rig, but it works pretty well AND Darth it green with envy.