Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shortshot Baffles

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 04:38 AM
beringer
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Shortshot Baffles

I have a 2011 48 with V+H Shortshots and they are just too loud, so im going for quiet baffles, I just cant work out how to take the baffles out...Is it that easy and im missing something ??

Old 12-30-2013, 05:37 AM
Sweforty8
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by beringer
I have a 2011 48 with V+H Shortshots and they are just too loud, so im going for quiet baffles, I just cant work out how to take the baffles out...Is it that easy and im missing something ??
Take it that you've already tried? If not there is screw that holds the baffle in place. It's located close to the end of the pipe facing the engine (if I remember correctly). Take the screw out and then get a hook to "grab" the baffle by one of its many holes and pull it out. If it doesn't come out there's a special tool (don't know the English word for it) that works both as a hooking device and a hammer at the same time. Don't know if that makes any sense
I've found that its easier to get the baffles out when the pipes a hot.

Old 12-30-2013, 07:38 AM
NySmokeEater
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sweforty8

Take it that you've already tried? If not there is screw that holds the baffle in place. It's located close to the end of the pipe facing the engine (if I remember correctly). Take the screw out and then get a hook to "grab" the baffle by one of its many holes and pull it out. If it doesn't come out there's a special tool (don't know the English word for it) that works both as a hooking device and a hammer at the same time. Don't know if that makes any sense
I've found that its easier to get the baffles out when the pipes a hot.
Bam bam tool ?

Old 12-30-2013, 07:39 AM
jimlowe
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You might want to try Wrapping the baffles as this will soften them down a bit.

Old 12-30-2013, 07:54 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

If you don't have the installation instructions, baffles are either "pressed" or "bolted" in place and, if I recall correctly, SS's are bolted. Look/feel for the set screw and they might be tight from use (many heat/cool cycles) so best method I used w/success is get a wood dowel fm home store (tad smaller than baffle ID) and work it around (circular motion) to pry them loose. Works every time for me...good luck!

Old 12-30-2013, 09:25 AM
beringer
Cruiser

I see each pipe has 2 Jubilee clips , these clips are about 10 inches apart. I was,nt sure if I loosened the clips off to ease the Baffles out ??

Old 12-30-2013, 09:32 AM
samhallnc
Road Master
Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

I see each pipe has 2 Jubilee clips , these clips are about 10 inches apart. I was,nt sure if I loosened the clips off to ease the Baffles out ??
Don't know what clips you're talking about, but my short shots have 1 screw per pipe, goes through the pipe and into the baffle. Remove screw, pull baffle out.

Old 12-30-2013, 09:33 AM
NySmokeEater
Cruiser

Im pretty positive they hold the shields on the pipes . Look at the end of the pipes where the gases come out facing the rear tire bend down and look on the back of the pipes left side should be a bolt there you can remove for the baffles

Old 12-30-2013, 09:48 AM
raq1025
Advanced

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is the heat shields. You have removed the heat shields, right?
Once the heat shield is removed, there is a single bolt about 2 inches from the tip of the exhaust. If you look in the end of the exhaust you will see the threads. This is the only retainer. Once the bolt is out, the baffle can be slid out the open end of the exhaust. It's often in there pretty good due to friction fit and carbon build up. A slide hammer tool can be used with some sort of a strong hook. But if that's not available any kind of strong hook and persistence will work.
As they say, installation is the reverse of removal. I'm referencing this off the Short Shots I took off my '05. If they've changed the design since then, I disavow any knowledge in this post.

Good Luck.

Old 12-30-2013, 10:36 AM
beringer
Cruiser

Cool. Thanks for the info Guys......

Quick Reply: Shortshot Baffles