Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Epiphany when installing fork springs

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2013, 03:32 PM
slyedog
Elite HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 185 Posts
Default Epiphany when installing fork springs

Got my front progressive fork springs installed since wife was working and kids went to gma's. Was trying to get oil level set to 6" and kept under or over filling. Then the light bulb lit up. I got a mighty vac sitting beside me I was using to pull the residual oil out. What if I put some vice grips not too tight on evacuation hose and set to 6". Wa-la was perfect for both sides. This way I know both a perfectly even. Old oil was like mud and nasty. Hope it rides good this spring.

Old 12-25-2013, 08:33 PM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,338 Posts

Sly,

I need to do my fork oil soon too. After seeing yours, maybe sooner than later.

Just have not hooked into this "epiphany." I do know what the word means, but I thought you just measured a certain cc/oz amount into each "wet" fork tube after draining? I doubt the springs would change that part.

It looks like you used some liquid balance between the fork sliders? Or not?

John

Old 12-25-2013, 09:48 PM
slyedog
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by John Harper
Sly,

I need to do my fork oil soon too. After seeing yours, maybe sooner than later.

Just have not hooked into this "epiphany." I do know what the word means, but I thought you just measured a certain cc/oz amount into each "wet" fork tube after draining? I doubt the springs would change that part.

It looks like you used some liquid balance between the fork sliders? Or not?

John
Since springs were out ,I had to use a depth measurement from top of fork tube, when fully compressed to get correct oil level. I have the fol-1, but had no luck hitting the desired level. Should have bought fol-2 ,but realized I don't need it after this. The mighty vac did all the work. All I had to do was hold in place and let it suck fluid out until level was met, and fluid got below hose, and go to other side and do the same. I double checked and both were right at 6". I would pull spring each time if I was to do just oil, as I think it would be easier since cap will be off to do fork oil either way. Wipe springs clean with rag and reinstall after level is at correct depth from top of fork tube when fully collapsed, and raised back to height. Seems as depth is much simpler than volume to me after doing it.

Mighty vac hose set to 6"

Fol-2 measuring tool

Old 12-25-2013, 10:02 PM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,338 Posts

So, the fork oil comes up to 6" below the top of the fork tubes? Without the springs installed? With the fork sliders fully collapsed? I thought it was only a few ounces, that sounds like a lot more.

Great information, some light coming from the darkness, this is good.

I think I need to look in my FSM about this, my bike is older, but should work the same. Good input, thanks.

John

Last edited by John Harper; 12-25-2013 at 10:08 PM.
Old 12-25-2013, 10:09 PM
slyedog
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by John Harper
So, the fork oil comes up to 6" below the top of the fork tubes? Without the springs installed? With the fork sliders fully collapsed? I thought it was only a few ounces, that sounds like a lot more.

I think I need to look in my FSM about this.

John
You have it correct. Still only a few oz. Well around 12oz or so per fork tube. I have about 1/3 qt left. I have the FSM and it said 5.75" for my xl1200c but went 6" as I read that was a good level for progressive springs.

Last edited by slyedog; 12-26-2013 at 10:44 AM.
Old 12-26-2013, 10:32 AM
Roster
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Great idea, hope I remember it when I do mine!

Old 12-26-2013, 11:40 AM
Jester 08 Nightster
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What oil did you use?

Old 12-26-2013, 12:18 PM
slyedog
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Jester 08 Nightster
What oil did you use?
15w Belray.

Old 12-26-2013, 01:01 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Jester 08 Nightster
What oil did you use?
If you're also installing the Progressive Springs, I recommend following Progressive's recommendation and use something closer to "stock" weight fork oil, which would be 5 - 7 weight.
I didn't listen when I first installed mine and used 15 weight as well. I dumped it a month later and went with 7 weight.

But YMMV

Old 12-26-2013, 01:30 PM
Jester 08 Nightster
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cHarley
If you're also installing the Progressive Springs, I recommend following Progressive's recommendation and use something closer to "stock" weight fork oil, which would be 5 - 7 weight.
I didn't listen when I first installed mine and used 15 weight as well. I dumped it a month later and went with 7 weight.

But YMMV
Thanks for the tip cHarley, I do indeed have Progressive springs on the bench to install. Once the 4 wheeled transportation gives me a break. Those springs are sitting directly behind a new water pump for the 89 K1500 on the aforementioned bench...

Quick Reply: Epiphany when installing fork springs