Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about getting drag bars what bars do you have?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 05:35 AM
beringer
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive got a 48. I suffer from scoliosis so comfort is a Must..I went from stock bars to Biltwell Keystones, and as nice as they look, they were not good for me, and the keystone shape left me feeling like I was not fully in control of my bike when I was riding hard (strange statement, but in my head I know what I mean)....Now I have a set of bars a friend gave me from his Sportster Iron and the difference is fantastic, now im waiting on delivery of 2" Risers from Loner and I just know they will give me even more comfort..I like to ride my bike as much as possible so comfort is at the top of my list..Its a Harley ,not a Sports bike and after 30+ years riding I want my 48 to feel like a comfy old armchair and not a thing of torture.....

Old 01-09-2014, 06:38 AM
Sweforty8
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by beringer
Ive got a 48. I suffer from scoliosis so comfort is a Must..I went from stock bars to Biltwell Keystones, and as nice as they look, they were not good for me, and the keystone shape left me feeling like I was not fully in control of my bike when I was riding hard (strange statement, but in my head I know what I mean)....Now I have a set of bars a friend gave me from his Sportster Iron and the difference is fantastic, now im waiting on delivery of 2" Risers from Loner and I just know they will give me even more comfort..I like to ride my bike as much as possible so comfort is at the top of my list..Its a Harley ,not a Sports bike and after 30+ years riding I want my 48 to feel like a comfy old armchair and not a thing of torture.....
I'm thinking of getting some risers from Loner as well. They're out of the 1" riser so I'm contemplating the 2". When did you order yours? Please post some pics when you get them.

Old 01-09-2014, 02:41 PM
LonestarXL
Road Captain
Received 287 Likes on 110 Posts

My experience too. I rode about 2500 miles with the stock bars on my Iron. I really wanted Keystones, love the look. I put a set on one morning and took them off that afternoon and went back to stock. I would have ended up crippled if I had to ride any distance with them. Stock feels so much more comfortable to me. I still want to change them out for something that looks different, but man, I haven't found it yet and getting tired of buying stuff to "try out" and flushing money away.

I sat on a few bikes with drags, and I felt the same was as I did with the Keystones.

Old 01-09-2014, 05:20 PM
beringer
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Sweforty8
I'm thinking of getting some risers from Loner as well. They're out of the 1" riser so I'm contemplating the 2". When did you order yours? Please post some pics when you get them.
I ordered my Risers on 20th December, so im expecting them anytime..No doubt I,ll get a letter from Royal Mail first telling me they are holding my Risers to ransom until I pay import duty first ....I will take some pics as soon as I get them and let you know what I think....One thought im having is the Iron bars have a deeper bend, so pull the cables up and I think that will be ok even with the Risers, but im concerned im going to have to extend the switchgear wiring by a couple of inches, and that's going to be a lot of work if I have to.....

Old 01-10-2014, 11:01 AM
OKona
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mini apes install in progress

Old 01-10-2014, 11:05 AM
Sweforty8
Road Captain

Originally Posted by OKona
Mini apes install in progress

Welcome to the family of apes

Old 01-10-2014, 12:04 PM
OKona
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sweforty8
Welcome to the family of apes
Cheers Sweforty8

Old 01-10-2014, 02:21 PM
Sweforty8
Road Captain

I ordered my Risers on 20th December, so im expecting them anytime..No doubt I,ll get a letter from Royal Mail first telling me they are holding my Risers to ransom until I pay import duty first ....I will take some pics as soon as I get them and let you know what I think....One thought im having is the Iron bars have a deeper bend, so pull the cables up and I think that will be ok even with the Risers, but im concerned im going to have to extend the switchgear wiring by a couple of inches, and that's going to be a lot of work if I have to.....
Thanks man I'd like that. Hope you'll be ok with current wires!

Old 01-18-2014, 02:07 PM
beringer
Cruiser

Quick Update...I got the 2" risers this week and fitted them today. The quality and finish is Fantastic. I was worried the wiring may be too short as im running Iron Bars, but I cut a couple of the cable ties on the wiring loom and the switchgear wiring freed up fine. The brake line sits vertical and is pulled tight, but not too tight to worry...I took the bike for a long ride and it feels soooo comfortable, I even found myself riding like a crazy man (supermoto racing background in a past life) and enjoying every lane and backroad, and I gotta say as a man with bad back trouble my 48 is now a real comfortable fun ride...I will take some pics tomorrow to show the fit and finish of the Risers.......

Old 01-18-2014, 04:46 PM
modular
Stellar HDF Member

Received 285 Likes on 184 Posts

I ran flat drag bars for a while but wanted something a bit wider. Settled on a pair of Biltwell Tracker bars. Nice low rise and good width.