Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to Your Sportster Today?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2019, 12:07 PM
boomerguy
Road Captain
Received 321 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Imold
How to put it... I thought/still think the Bonny was the "pretty" bike, but the BSA Lightning looked a bit tougher. If I had to choose between a pristine 1966 Triumph Bonneville or BSA Lightning, it might just depend on how I felt at that moment. Norton... in the "classic" years I didn't think they ever got the styling quite right, but I'll admit in the '70s the Commando became sleek and beautiful, but I wouldn't call those classic styling, got too modern. Might pick one of those 70's works of art over the '66 pair, I'll admit I like some of the newer styles, too.
Speaking of getting too modern, I have been following Royal Enfield's re-emergence into the western world. Thanks to the old Indian plant, the Royal Enfield Bullet lived long enough since the 1950's for the now economically powerful India to offer the new modern and powerful and according to recent reviews, fantastic twins. However, I feel more loyalty to the Bullet 500 single for not being too modern than I do to the modern RE's.

I rode one shortly after they starting importing them into the US a few decades ago. It still had its growing pains to meet the demands of the western customers with the left side shift, right side brake pedal and dual drum brakes. In spite of the awful test ride (a neutral between each gear and a panic stop that would take two city blocks), I fell in love with it. It was true to its nature. It started on the first kick (sounded like an old washing machine at idle), could pull a stump with its torque and vibrated enough to keep the blood circulating throughout your entire body. The sound was wonderful with loud valves and loud exhaust. The dealer even had t-shirts with, "Loud Valves Save Lives!". If I could afford a second bike, the Bullet 500 would be it and it would be the Classic model. The Bullet 500 owners' loyalty worldwide is amazing. I think Royal Enfield has been around a few years longer than Harley-Davidson.

The following users liked this post:
Imold (11-17-2019)
Old 11-16-2019, 05:47 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 1,709 Likes on 1,141 Posts

The only thing I do not miss on the old bikes are points and kick starters. Ignition points never seemed to stay put, on cars or bikes, and I didn't used to mind kick start until I got my '86 Honda XL600R. Hated getting that bike to start. Worse than a magneto driven Harkey.

Old 11-16-2019, 06:12 PM
MikeBel
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,564 Likes on 671 Posts
Default Results from 1st test ride

Results: Today I had the chance to go out on the bike for about 1.5 hrs to check out the results of the ISO grips & nickels. I felt a significant reduction in vibration, maybe 50%. I definitely felt a lot less of the vibration pitch that would normally make my hands tingle and numb. The ISO grips are way more comfortable than the old stock grips, so that alone is a big improvement. I can't say how much of the vibration reduction can be attributed to either of the 2 upgrades, but together the results are well worth it, IMHO.

Originally Posted by MikeBel
Today I removed the 20 yr. old OEM grips and installed Kuryakyn black ISO grips along with their Throttle Boss. I also added a roll of nickels to each bar end to help reduce the vibration. For only $4 it's worth a shot. I wrapped the rolls with 3-4 layers of packing tape; this gave them a perfect super snug fit when installed. I went for a short ride and the grips felt great, but I was only out for about 6 miles before it started raining. Hopefully in the next couple days I'll head out for a few hours to really see how they do.

Old 11-16-2019, 07:06 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

Glad it had its intended effect. What is the hook thing on the end of the throttle?

MikeBel (11-16-2019)
Old 11-16-2019, 07:34 PM
WKNDS
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,361 Likes on 986 Posts

Originally Posted by handirifle
Glad it had its intended effect. What is the hook thing on the end of the throttle?
If you're referring to the small paddle, its a Throttle Boss.
They have several sizes, that appears to be the smaller version

T.

MikeBel (11-16-2019)
Old 11-16-2019, 08:35 PM
Doc4545
Tourer
Received 75 Likes on 33 Posts

I added the mesh pulley cover, took off the air cleaner cover, different handlebars (still searching for that perfect set, hmm). Anyone know if the ventilator cover will fit on the Sportster SE a/c? Ordered a K&N filter to replace the paper SE element. Need to get new snap ring plier to put on the Diamond Black foot pegs.

Old 11-16-2019, 10:42 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

Not a fan of the unfinished look on the a/c without the cover. Seems one could have an aluminum plate cut to the oval shape of the filter andxattach the SE badge to that for a more finished look. I have the same filter and think the chrome can overpowers the engine in looks.

A nice brushed finish aluminum plate and a rain sock and would be good to go. I don't really like the filter cover being the focal point of the engine either. I do like the larger filter element. I remember from years back, reading research on bikes and air filters, and one drawback of many designs, then, was they had insufficient room for filtered air to essentially wait for the throttle to open. It then took longer to pull filtered air volume to supply the cylinders. This delay hurt performance, in the form of lag time.

I do think the large Oval filter helps in that manner. That is one reason the HD Vrod had its air cleaner where the tank usually toes. Far greater volume of available air for acceleration.

Seems like Eric Buell did the same thing. One that big would look horrible on the side of a normal engine.

Doc4545 (11-16-2019)
Old 11-16-2019, 11:15 PM
Doc4545
Tourer
Received 75 Likes on 33 Posts

Thanks, I do have the original grey cover. I like the look of the black ventilator cover, think it would work nicely with the rest of the bike. I'll be putting the stock cover back on, this was just to look at it for a bit to see what I think.

Old 11-17-2019, 08:43 AM
Jed Clampett
Stellar HDF Member
Received 2,217 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by Doc4545
I added the mesh pulley cover, took off the air cleaner cover, different handlebars (still searching for that perfect set, hmm). Anyone know if the ventilator cover will fit on the Sportster SE a/c? Ordered a K&N filter to replace the paper SE element. Need to get new snap ring plier to put on the Diamond Black foot pegs.

Very nice! I bought some Harbor freight snap ring pliers for less than 5 bucks last week to change my pegs. Somehow I lost my previous pair. How does that happen?? Anyway, that 's a good look. I bought one of the first year revamped Roadsters and went with a different theme. Beginning to tire of the look though. Might do a revamp if I decide to keep it. That pulley cover is one of the best I've seen. Where did you get it?

Last edited by Jed Clampett; 11-17-2019 at 08:44 AM.
Old 11-17-2019, 09:48 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by boomerguy
Speaking of getting too modern, I have been following Royal Enfield's re-emergence into the western world. Thanks to the old Indian plant, the Royal Enfield Bullet lived long enough since the 1950's for the now economically powerful India to offer the new modern and powerful and according to recent reviews, fantastic twins. However, I feel more loyalty to the Bullet 500 single for not being too modern than I do to the modern RE's.
When the Indian Enfields were first introduced here in the UK there was a radio interview with a member of the Indian factory's senior management. He explained that one of the reasons their bikes are so respected and loved in India is that they can carry up to seven passengers! That was the 350cc Bullet and puts a fresh perspective on using a bike for transport....

Last edited by grbrown; 11-17-2019 at 09:49 AM.

Quick Reply: What did you do to Your Sportster Today?