Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to Your Sportster Today?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2019, 10:42 AM
60Gunner
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,212 Likes on 904 Posts

If that James primary gasket has the double silicone bead, do yourself av favor and get the stock or a cometic gasket. And a little grease to hold the oring in place.

Old 11-05-2019, 11:10 AM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 1,709 Likes on 1,141 Posts

Boomerguy
I went through puberty on a Harley, BUT it was a 125cc two stroke. Of the 6 bikes I have owned in my life, three were Hondas and three were Harleys. I like both, although I am not a fan of many of the newer styles of either. I am an old fart and like the old style bikes, and that is all I will ride.

The following users liked this post:
Long lonesome highwayman (11-08-2019)
Old 11-05-2019, 12:40 PM
cacomly
Road Master
Received 590 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by Packgrog
They add fuel stabilizer as part of the package, though I'm tempted to add in some Seafoam of my own anyway. Dunno what they use. It is expressly requested that I top off the tank before drop-off. Closest place listed for ethanol-free gas is Psi Proformance, but that doesn't seem like a place I can just stop by and fill up. So Korn Krud and Seafoam it is. :P
Cool. I'd find out what they add and use the same.

Ideally you add the stabilizer first, then top off to mix it up. Then run the engine to ensure the stabilizer gets into the carb.

Old 11-05-2019, 12:48 PM
Packgrog
Road Captain
Received 189 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by cacomly
Cool. I'd find out what they add and use the same.

Ideally you add the stabilizer first, then top off to mix it up. Then run the engine to ensure the stabilizer gets into the carb.
I added about 4oz of Seafoam to the tank at my last fill-up, so I'm sure I'll be fine in that regard.

Old 11-05-2019, 01:56 PM
MikeBel
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,564 Likes on 671 Posts
Default Linbar Installed!

Yesterday I finished the install of my Linbar engine guard.

The following 2 users liked this post by MikeBel:
Imold (11-05-2019), Long lonesome highwayman (11-08-2019)
Old 11-05-2019, 02:04 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

I swapped the copper tubing on my external breather setup for a blackened aluminum one. Now headed to hardware store for new O rings for OEM breather bolts. Eventually I will either replace or mod the back plate of the AC to eliminate it being routed through there at all.

Old 11-05-2019, 02:16 PM
boomerguy
Road Captain
Received 321 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Packgrog
On the flip side, I have certainly benefited from and been thankful for the Harley community, particularly here in this forum. The wealth of info and available mods and parts seems to eclipse what's available for anything else. Also, the reactions that I get from onlookers while on a Harley certainly does seem to be different from what I would expect while riding anything else. I feel a little awkward about it, but it is nice when random bystanders give you the thumbs up, or cars wave you through an intersection. Would anyone get that kind of reaction on a Honda? Probably not.
I agree 100%. There are several motorcycles I love and owned, and all of them lean towards comfort and day-tripping: I am happy to admit that I have never before felt anything like the camaraderie of the "Harley family" when I ride down the road and all of the Harley riders wave or have conversations at pit stops on the road. This forum as well as others, has shown tremendous support and shows that the family is not like the stereotype that a lot of people believe. I am constantly reminded of the positive attitudes of these people whether we agree on apparel or riding style or fashion in general. At dealerships and swap-meets, everyone seems equal. It's great.

Packgrog (11-05-2019)
Old 11-05-2019, 05:29 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

While on a road trip a few months back, I noticed we got lots of folks looking at the bikes and many asking questions about them. Even on my sporty I often get lots of "nice looking bike" comments from folks. NEVER got that from any of the Hondas I owned. I liked the Hondas, and are good bikes, but the HD is an eye catcher.

Old 11-05-2019, 05:38 PM
boomerguy
Road Captain
Received 321 Likes on 221 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by handirifle
While on a road trip a few months back, I noticed we got lots of folks looking at the bikes and many asking questions about them. Even on my sporty I often get lots of "nice looking bike" comments from folks. NEVER got that from any of the Hondas I owned. I liked the Hondas, and are good bikes, but the HD is an eye catcher.
Likewise, I love Honda's and I've owned several different models including a Shadow and they were all good motorcycles. But when I see a Shadow in a parking lot, thinking it may be a Harley and find it isn't, I turn around and walk away. Why do I do that? What is so magical about the Harley? When I see an old model with patina and worn-out seat, I just stand there and admire it. I don't do this with Honda's or any other metric bike. Have I "drunk the Kool Aid"? Every time I go for a ride on my Sporty, I think, "ain't nuthin' sounds like a Harley" and when a Harley of any model passes me from the other direction, I think it all over again. Do I need rehab?

Old 11-05-2019, 06:23 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

Yup, I know the feeling. I used to wonder why Harley kept the single pin crank and subsequent vibrations when all the others were going for smooth, high RPM power.

When I got into pulling RVs I went through similar thoughts about diesel trucks. Now I ride a Sportster, and drive a diesel truck. Nothing beats torque for doing real work. My thought has gotten to be, high horsepower numbers are almost useless in everyday driving. Whether you are riding solo or two up, torque rules in my mind.

For me, high horsepower means revving the snot out of your engine to get real work done, like climbing a grade loaded with gear and/or a pillion. I put my diesel truck on cruise at 70 mph and it climbs our local 7%, 3 mile long grade without struggling or downshifting. No need for high revs when you have torque usable in real world situations.

And for looks, well chrome still attracts the eye, and plastic looses its eye appeal when side by side. Set a gold wind beside an ultra, and to me there is no comparison in looks. The GW can probably out run it, not sure about handling, but I like to know cagers can hear me coming, and even a stock muffled HD has a better chance of than than just about any other cruiser going.

I have a brother in law that loves his ST1300, but even he commented one day on my sportster. I think it was subconsciously be he said, quietly, looks at that chrome, you can see yourself like a mirror".

There's just something about a Harley.

Packgrog (11-06-2019)

Quick Reply: What did you do to Your Sportster Today?