Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to Your Sportster Today?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2019, 08:27 AM
boomerguy
Road Captain
Received 321 Likes on 221 Posts

For most of us old-timers, the forward controls are "new". They started after the choppers became popular in the early 70's. Easy Rider and other movies had a lot to do with it.
The Sportster actually started out as a lightweight bike to compete with the Brit bikes the vets were bringing home from Europe. The BSA's, Triumph's, Norton's, etc. were kicking H-D's butt at the race track and the Sportster came along and kicked back very successfully. (Sort of like the way Shelby's AC Cobra kicked Ferarri's butt, but that's another story.) The Sportster kept H-D from going bankrupt. A lot of Big Twin owners don't know that.
The first Sportster had the European mid-controls with the shifter on the right side and the brake on the left until the US standards required all motorcycles sold in the US to have uniform controls: left side shifter, right side brake, one-down and the higher gears up. My 2005 Sport with mid's are exactly like the first several bikes I owned and rode of my friends. When I first bought a metric bike with forward controls, I was completely out of my element with the recliner chair position and longer wheelbase. Instead of whipping through the turns I was intimidated by them, but I continued to ride because the ride was "cushy". I owned three cruisers with forwards before I came back "home" to my mid's.
Now, I'm a 70-year-old man whipping through the turns and lifting my butt off the seat at railroad crossing, pot-holes and speed bumps. I can ride for hours in complete comfort on my bike with the stock Sportster solo seat that came with it. (When it wears out, I will replace it with the same style made by Mustang.) The Honda Shadow that I traded in limited me to a half-hour ride before my bad back kicked in my sciatica and a combination of pains and numbness would bother me for days or weeks. My mid-controls make me a kid again. I only stop for pit-stops now. At the end of a 200 mile ride, I feel great.

Last edited by boomerguy; 10-09-2019 at 08:31 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Packgrog (10-09-2019)
Old 10-09-2019, 10:01 AM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,632 Likes on 2,735 Posts

Originally Posted by Packgrog
I actually would love to mess with one of those CSC SG250 bikes for the hell of it, but that money would be better spent on suspension or engine mods on the Sporty.
Everyone has their own preferences, but the first forward control bike I rode was my 2000 883. It seemed like I had to force it to stay on track on left turns, liked to swing wide, and was anything but what I'd call nimble. I got the original mids with the bike, put them on, and it just transformed the handling, became pretty nimble, and I no longer had to force it in turns, went through them as naturally as the rest of my bikes. My 1200 has forwards, and though it tracks through turns just fine, it's no where near as nimble as the 883, and the seating position is a lower back killer for me, the only way I can stay comfortable on it for much over an hour is with a tail pack mounted on the forward side of the sissy bar so it makes a good backrest. I recently finished getting all the parts I need to install mids, and plan to have those on for the next riding season. You're lucky you have a comfortable seat, the OEM seat was horrible for me (6'3"), pushed me too far forward, and I changed that soon after getting the bike. There's a reason most bikes, and all sportbikes, have mids, or even pegs placed back a bit, it gives you a better balance and concentrates your body weight more centrally on the bike, and that can make a big difference. Comfort... well, that's up the rider. Personally, the Harley image, legs out in front, arms extended straight or higher on tall bars, feels awful to me. Leaning a little forward with arms down takes the strain off the shoulders and feet under you relieves lower back pressure. 40 or 50 years ago, it might not have been such a big deal to me, but at 72 an uncomfortable riding position is a deal breaker for me, the old body just can't handle it for long.

Originally Posted by boomerguy
Now, I'm a 70-year-old man whipping through the turns and lifting my butt off the seat at railroad crossing, pot-holes and speed bumps. I can ride for hours in complete comfort on my bike with the stock Sportster solo seat that came with it. (When it wears out, I will replace it with the same style made by Mustang.) The Honda Shadow that I traded in limited me to a half-hour ride before my bad back kicked in my sciatica and a combination of pains and numbness would bother me for days or weeks. My mid-controls make me a kid again. I only stop for pit-stops now. At the end of a 200 mile ride, I feel great.
Sounds a lot like me at 72, except I got a fat butt cushioning Harley "Pillow Look" seat on both my sportsters. One still has forwards, as I posted above, but that has to change for next year's riding. I did a couple 200 mile rides on my 1200C in NW Arkansas this summer, and that convinced me the forwards have to go. I like riding the sportsters without a windshield, but I need a backrest for extended highway speeds with forwards, doesn't take long without one to feel it in my lower back.

Old 10-09-2019, 07:36 PM
VAFish
Grand HDF Member

Received 3,206 Likes on 1,655 Posts

Tightened down the loose exhaust stud so I can ride to work tomorrow.

The following users liked this post:
Dudepants (10-09-2019)
Old 10-09-2019, 10:59 PM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,632 Likes on 2,735 Posts

The weather forecast after today is pretty dismal, could be the last real nice day for riding this year, so instead of the vehicle maintenance and yard work I should be doing...

... enjoyed the only kind of road anywhere near me that never gets clogged up with traffic. Was 71 degrees when I headed out, still high 60s when I got back. Gas tank is near the bottom now, time for that non alcoholic premium winter fill up. But if I have to fill it again after that, I won't complain, just depends on when they start pouring the salt on here. Just in case, think I'll put the wimpshield on, 40's forecast next week and I'm liking a little comfort in my old age.

The following 2 users liked this post by Imold:
Engtaz (10-10-2019), MikeBel (10-10-2019)
Old 10-10-2019, 03:40 AM
HotRod917
Road Warrior
Received 274 Likes on 207 Posts

Finally got my DK Custom rocker lockers, Yeaya

Old 10-10-2019, 09:28 AM
TStephen
Road Warrior
Received 299 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by firehawk6
Rode over the the dealer this morning to pick up 3 quarts of oil as the bikes due for it's 15,000 service. Thought I'd price a pair of chrome strut supports/frame rails since the one's on my SuperLow are black.

SWEET JESUS... $280 for the pair of chrome ones. Good God, they are just two pieces of stamped sheet metal with some chrome on them.

Gunna have to rethink this...
There are spray chrome alternatives that are indistinguishable from real chrome. You may be able to refinish the black ones you have.

Old 10-11-2019, 07:06 PM
Sharpie
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Default 07 883 Oil Drain Hose replaced

I noticed a few weeks ago that under the Sportster was an oil spot. Finally got around to checking it last Sunday and discovered it was the oils drain hose coming from the oil bag. I picked up a new hose this week in Pensacola as I had to fly out of Pensacola for work.

i put it on this evening after I found my Dremel to cut the crimped clamp off. I bought FI clamps to use but got the wrong size. After finding a worm gear clamp to use , all is well. It took about 30 minutes including the time to hunt for a clamp.

Old 10-11-2019, 09:20 PM
VAFish
Grand HDF Member

Received 3,206 Likes on 1,655 Posts

On my son's I replaced the drive belt.

Old 10-12-2019, 08:20 AM
boomerguy
Road Captain
Received 321 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Sharpie
I noticed a few weeks ago that under the Sportster was an oil spot. Finally got around to checking it last Sunday and discovered it was the oils drain hose coming from the oil bag. I picked up a new hose this week in Pensacola as I had to fly out of Pensacola for work.

i put it on this evening after I found my Dremel to cut the crimped clamp off. I bought FI clamps to use but got the wrong size. After finding a worm gear clamp to use , all is well. It took about 30 minutes including the time to hunt for a clamp.
I don't know if the connection to the oil tank is plastic or metal. Only use worm gear clamps on metal. The lump underneath the screw will cause hollow plastic tubes to fracture. The Oetiker clamps (these are the stock ones all over the Sportster are best but they are a PITA to remove and you need a special tool to install them. The FI clamps are the next best alternative which is why I usually use them. .

Old 10-12-2019, 01:35 PM
HotRod917
Road Warrior
Received 274 Likes on 207 Posts

The jublee clamps will do just fine..

Quick Reply: What did you do to Your Sportster Today?