Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to Your Sportster Today?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2019, 12:53 PM
boomerguy
Road Captain
Received 321 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by VAFish
Took it for a much shorter ride than planned.

That's actually my sons Sportster. I took it for a ride because mine has a loose exhaust stud again.

So now I have 2 bikes to fix.
I hope you were close to home. How many miles were on the belt?

Old 10-06-2019, 01:46 PM
firehawk6
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,561 Likes on 3,282 Posts

The new chrome strut covers are arriving tomorrow so I decided to get after removing the black ones. No big deal until... Harley in all their wisdom made every hole large enough to pull the connector end of the turn signal wiring thru EXCEPT the strut cover. WTF... Trying to sell new turn signals I guess. Pisser is there is no mention of this in the service manual.

Ended up taking a rat tail file and opening and elongating the hole so the connector would fit thru. All hidden under the turn signal stalk when it's put back together which is a good thing. Not too happy about having to file on the new chrome ones, but I'll be damned if I'm going to replace turn signals just so I can crimp on new connectors after installing the new covers.

Harley I love 'ya, but come on. You can make the hole in the fender and the frame strut large enough, but not the cover...

Old 10-06-2019, 02:02 PM
VAFish
Grand HDF Member

Received 3,206 Likes on 1,655 Posts

Originally Posted by boomerguy
I hope you were close to home. How many miles were on the belt?
Kind o funny we rode 10 miles to a restaurant for brunch then decided on a 150 mile ride that started out heading back past my house. Was about 3 miles away from home when it broke. Coasted into a parking lot. My daughter, legs visible in photo, hopped on the back of a friends trike and I rode her bike home. Hooked up the trailer and towed it home.

He bought it used. It's a 2002 and has 44500 on the odometer no idea if belt is original or not..

Last edited by VAFish; 10-06-2019 at 03:12 PM.
Old 10-06-2019, 02:23 PM
Andy from Sandy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,991 Likes on 2,548 Posts

Trying to sell new turn signals I guess.
The connector type is multilock. I had to look them up and found a video on the tube.

Since then I have rewired my partner's bike to trike with new turn signals so bought a crimper and the connectors from a company here.

You don't need new turn signals. The connectors come apart very easily. In the worst case if you cut the connector off they are very cheap to replace.

Last edited by Andy from Sandy; 10-06-2019 at 02:29 PM.
Old 10-06-2019, 02:55 PM
Midpegs
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,119 Likes on 631 Posts

Originally Posted by firehawk6
Rode over the the dealer this morning to pick up 3 quarts of oil as the bikes due for it's 15,000 service. Thought I'd price a pair of chrome strut supports/frame rails since the one's on my SuperLow are black.

SWEET JESUS... $280 for the pair of chrome ones. Good God, they are just two pieces of stamped sheet metal with some chrome on them.

Gunna have to rethink this...
Get them chromed .

Old 10-06-2019, 06:38 PM
Longplay
Tourer
Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by handirifle
Longplay
Couple things. I have read the models with the CAT inside actually have to cut off the housing about 1.5" back since it is too large to fit out otherwise. Not sure about yours. Using the dremmel it took 10-12 disks per muffler to get it done. They wear fast.
On the angle I angled slightly TOWARDS the outer shell. You kinda have to to keep cutting as the wheel gets smaller. You will see when you start getting thru the weld so very little chance of going thru the outer skin. The dremmel does not cut that fast.
I am going to need to find out if my bike here has that CAT converter. I actually had both slip on's off the other day and forgot to look into that!! I will need to get out and pull them again. The Dremmel disks come in a few different types. I think the disks you used are pretty thin and yeah, they fit better into that little space. I have a much better disk here but the OD is about 1 1/4" or so and is not easy to get into that small space, so I am likely going to use the same smaller disks, just going to go through a number of them for sure.

I really hope I do not need to bob the swage off the slip ons to get this out. I would not really mind if the CAT is still in there as long as I can get the sound I want. I have some 24" long reach drill bits here and may try to drill a 3/8" hole up the center if I cannot get the insert out, to try and get a little more sound from these. But I would be drilling kind of blind, something I would rather not do.

I have a ride over (via ferry) to the bigger island behind me here on Thursday or Friday, and will pull these after that and get serious in the dig process. I do not like the way I end up sneaking up on folks with this bike. I want them to know I am there.

Old 10-06-2019, 10:24 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 1,709 Likes on 1,141 Posts

Check youtube. The ones I saw, the CAT is attached to the core and it is larger dia than the hole you will be cutting. If using the larger disk, I would not be afraid to cut at a sharper angle. Like I said it does not cut fast.

Old 10-07-2019, 06:54 AM
Longplay
Tourer
Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

OK, good call Handirifle. I got out to do the opening after watching 6 or 8 vids. Well, of all the luck, I have cats in mine. And the bad news is the whole layout of the baffling is completely different. There are two re-entry gas ports facing back towards the engine in the final stage of the slipon. They take up about 1/2 half the open area that you can see in this photo......... Although at this point, these ports are now gone.

We tried drills, chisels (did not have a good metal cutting chisel, so that turned into a beater job), and then finally I surrendered and got out the welding machine and arc'd out the baffles from the tail end. We stopped short of the cat area. I think you can just see the INLET end of the cat area in the photo.

I had some 24" long drills I got from Harbor Freight and shipped over when I did the move here and one was a 5/8" dia. I used that to clear the debris and dump out the burned shards. Sounds a LOT better now. And it doesn't seem to have any decel popping. I suppose that cat is providing just enough of the back pressure needed for that.

Thanks for the help. One of the chores done now. Trip still planned for later this week, so we will be trying out the bike for 2 up for the first time. Going to be around 150 miles in total, not counting the 30 miles of boat riding to get to Leyte....

Old 10-07-2019, 10:06 AM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 1,709 Likes on 1,141 Posts

Forewarned is forearmed. Congrats

Old 10-07-2019, 10:55 AM
83XLX
Road Warrior
Received 648 Likes on 232 Posts

I rode my Ironhead to the Barber Vintage Motorcycle Festival this past weekend, a 250 mile round trip. Camped out with the local vintage club. Temps in the 90s, no problems with the old machine, and a good time was had by all...

Quick Reply: What did you do to Your Sportster Today?