Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to Your Sportster Today?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2019, 09:24 PM
firehawk6
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,539 Likes on 3,276 Posts

Originally Posted by boomerguy
firehawk6,
Great looking bike and photo. What kind of tail bag is that? I have the same luggage rack with solo seat.
Thanks!

The bag is actually a Saddlemen sissybar bag.

Saddlemen 3503-0064 Cruis'N Deluxe Sissy Bar Bag

Old 09-01-2019, 09:31 PM
boomerguy
Road Captain
Received 321 Likes on 221 Posts

Thanks, it should match my Saddlemen saddlebags!

Old 09-01-2019, 09:51 PM
firehawk6
Seasoned HDF Member

Thanks, it should match my Saddlemen saddlebags!
Word of warning, forget the attachment straps that come with it, they are useless. Might sound hokey but, I cut slits in the bottom of the bag and used heavy duty black zipties to attach it to the rack. One in each corner of the bag cinched down tight, and two in the center just snugged down. I figure that way if any of the one's cinched down tight would break, the two with no real strain on them would prevent the bag from coming off the bike.

I keep an eye on the zipties but after a year or so they are holding up fine and haven't loosened up any.

Old 09-03-2019, 02:33 PM
firehawk6
Seasoned HDF Member

Back at it again today. Was out riding some back country roads late this morning/early afternoon and stopped at the old Ferndale Grocery Store. It is down in the bottom of a valley just south of Raccoon Lake, I remember stopping there a few times for something to drink years ago. Probably pushing 50 years ago, too bad it's closed down now. It was like walking into a time capsule back then.
What did you do to Your Sportster Today?-luowpy4.jpg
What did you do to Your Sportster Today?-me0pd2g.jpg

Just livin' the dream...
What did you do to Your Sportster Today?-thpzstx.jpg

The following 3 users liked this post by firehawk6:
johnny_bravo00 (09-09-2019), Packgrog (09-03-2019), slvrscoobie (09-04-2019)
Old 09-03-2019, 04:29 PM
boomerguy
Road Captain

Same here. My 50th high school reunion was two years ago and my old stomping grounds are a short ride from where I live now. I routinely go back to where the best memories were made to find empty buildings or completely changed structures. Fortunately, it's in the country and Mother Nature has left most of the good stuff intact. Your pictures are exactly like the places I visit. At least we have our memories. Back then, I was riding little metric bikes and thought I was bulletproof and would live forever. Great pictures! Keep them coming.

Old 09-04-2019, 09:21 AM
slvrscoobie
Road Master
Received 141 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by firehawk6
Back at it again today. Was out riding some back country roads late this morning/early afternoon and stopped at the old Ferndale Grocery Store. It is down in the bottom of a valley just south of Raccoon Lake, I remember stopping there a few times for something to drink years ago. Probably pushing 50 years ago, too bad it's closed down now. It was like walking into a time capsule back then.

Just livin' the dream...
Nice that you live in a quiet enough place that things like this can just sit around. Up here in NJ, the freeking kids today woulda busted and or torched that place within 5 years of it being abandoned.

The following users liked this post:
firehawk6 (09-04-2019)
Old 09-04-2019, 02:03 PM
boomerguy
Road Captain

I live in SW Virginia right next to the WV border and places like this are in abundance on both sides of the border. This area is perfect for jumping on my "Way-Back Machine" to travel back in time. There are too many old farts around here who protect these places and most of the kids aren't "citified". Unfortunately, they have their noses in their smartphones instead of looking up at what is disappearing. There are literally hundreds of rides around here with views of old places and natural scenery. With fall coming on with the leaves changing, it's the perfect time and place for a motorcycle, especially a Sporty 883 with the lower gearing. I like to ride slow enough to enjoy the scenery.

Old 09-04-2019, 02:21 PM
Packgrog
Road Captain
Received 189 Likes on 136 Posts

There are literally hundreds of rides around here with views of old places and natural scenery. With fall coming on with the leaves changing, it's the perfect time and place for a motorcycle, especially a Sporty 883 with the lower gearing. I like to ride slow enough to enjoy the scenery.
Getting a little off topic, I know, but this is kind of the entire point of me finally getting into motorcycling. I tend to have a lead foot when I drive, and stick with a meager little Honda Civic to mitigate that a bit. But after a difficult few years, I'm trying to force myself to slow down in general and enjoy what life has left to give. The danger aspect of it doesn't really appeal to me. I wear full gear and stay very close to the speed limit (when riding). I have zero interest in blazing acceleration or trick riding. I just want to cruise around and enjoy the scenery. I prefer 45mph wooded roads to freeways. I ride to enjoy the ride. I drive if I'm worried about time and destination (though I try to stick to the same routes in the car when I can for much the same purpose). My section of Pennsylvania may not have many shacks like that, but there's still a lot of gorgeous scenery yet to be explored. Good stuff!

Old 09-04-2019, 02:39 PM
firehawk6
Seasoned HDF Member

Back out again this morning, ended up riding a country road I've had my eye on for a while now. If you're from around here it is State Road 42 between US 231 and State Road 59. If twisty, winding country roads are your thing this road is a must ride. Roads like that is why I have a Sportster!

Stopped on the bridge at Cagles Mill and snapped a couple of pictures.
What did you do to Your Sportster Today?-mfbj83h.jpg
What did you do to Your Sportster Today?-zrq7ubu.jpg

Oh, and rolled over 15,000 miles today too.
What did you do to Your Sportster Today?-8ztcbtj.jpg

Packgrog (09-04-2019)
Old 09-04-2019, 05:38 PM
boomerguy
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Packgrog
Getting a little off topic, I know, but this is kind of the entire point of me finally getting into motorcycling. I tend to have a lead foot when I drive, and stick with a meager little Honda Civic to mitigate that a bit. But after a difficult few years, I'm trying to force myself to slow down in general and enjoy what life has left to give. The danger aspect of it doesn't really appeal to me. I wear full gear and stay very close to the speed limit (when riding). I have zero interest in blazing acceleration or trick riding. I just want to cruise around and enjoy the scenery. I prefer 45mph wooded roads to freeways. I ride to enjoy the ride. I drive if I'm worried about time and destination (though I try to stick to the same routes in the car when I can for much the same purpose). My section of Pennsylvania may not have many shacks like that, but there's still a lot of gorgeous scenery yet to be explored. Good stuff!
Sort of getting back on topic. Today I replaced the "grenade" aka spring plate in my transmission with 3 stock plates and while I was in there, my stock radial throw out bearing with a 7200B angular bearing to make my 2005 Sporty XL883 even more bulletproof. Both of these stock items are "time bombs". While my buddies are constantly adding bling to their bikes, I'm focusing more on making it run forever. For my type of riding the 883 is perfect with short gears, good mpg's and my standard controls which makes my back feel like it has never heard of sciatica. I don't know how I survived my youth on motorcycles because my 883 can do more than I want. Oh yeah, it's old enough to be simple to work on and new enough to be reliable, the best of both worlds. I suppose I should polish it more often but I save that for bad weather.

Last edited by boomerguy; 09-04-2019 at 05:40 PM.
Raginginferno22 (09-06-2019)

Quick Reply: What did you do to Your Sportster Today?